Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 4100fps
Did she come off the Haul road?

Yes. That is how one drives to the Brooks Range.

I was under the impression that within 5 miles either east or west of the Dalton Hwy. It was open to bow only? That's why I asked.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Did she come off the Haul road?

Yes. That is how one drives to the Brooks Range.

I thought it was illegal to shoot a rifle within 5 miles of the road? That was the only reason I questioned where you were.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote=ironbenderI thought it was illegal to shoot a rifle within 5 miles of the road? That was the only reason I questioned where you were.

It is illegal if your hunting big game animals, but operating under a trapping license changes things a bit.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cub, here's to many more of them critters biting the dust!!! Hope you get the big one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nice Wuf.

I guess I should start reading the regulations? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I was under the impression that within 5 miles either east or west of the Dalton Hwy. It was open to bow only? That's why I asked.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag bud! A PM with the appropriate questions would have been a bit more tactful!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

It is illegal if your hunting big game animals, but operating under a trapping license changes things a bit.

Pretty sure it was "your" comment that let that "Cat" out of the bag!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He knows what I am talking about! He went running right over to the AOD hunting forum asking if its illegal to shoot wolves from the Haul Rd with a rifle and attached a link to this thread. Pretty damn chicken chit thing to do if you ask me. A simple PM to me would have provided all the info he could ask for, including Troopers names and numbers if he so desired.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Congrats on killing the Wolf. Wish you would have popped the other 2 as well! I just checked out the AOD forum. He was just trying to confirm what you had already told him here. Right? Your the snitch, not him... He's askin' and your tellin..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag bud! A PM with the appropriate questions would have been a bit more tactful!

You posted a thread with "Brooks Range" mentioned, and PHOTO's! It doesn't take a rocket scientist from the JPL to figure out where you were. Chill out. If you don't want your "secrets" compromised, the best policy, is.......silence.

Jeff

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cub,

This place is not like it used to be a few years ago when you could share amongst friends and not worry about guarding your six from people who don't know all the details.

I learned that the hard way.

It's turned into 24 Hour WalMart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And mores the pity.

On the other hand, I have several offers to visit and hunt and fish with members there on my upcoming trip to Anchorage, Talkeetna and on up to (and a bit past) Fairbanks this Summer. Pretty terrific group of guys and gals for the most part. I am looking forward to meeting some AK members and fun in the outdoors soon.

Last edited by safariman; 03/05/10.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by akjeff

You posted a thread with "Brooks Range" mentioned, and PHOTO's! It doesn't take a rocket scientist from the JPL to figure out where you were. Chill out. If you don't want your "secrets" compromised, the best policy, is.......silence.

Jeff

The photo speaks volumes. There are only a handfull of places in the north you could have a full size pick-up in the Barrens.
We are in the best month of the year for wolf huntin..............continued good luck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff

It wasn't a guy asking some questions, it was him going over to another Alaska hunting forum and posting the info I shared here with pics, and then asking them if what I did was illegal? If I cant understand something and or I have more questions about something thats posted here, I guess I just ask the folks in question. Lots of thought and effort went into this from a guy that doesn't even live in Alaska!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can't hunt within 5 miles from the road? What's their reasoning on that one? I understand that you have a ton of real estate up their but that is kind of stupid from point of view. Is the road some sort of bait pile? With all the ignorant regs in Michigan the still let you shoot from the edge of a roadway into adjacent land as long as it is open to the public ( state of Fed owned) and as long as you are not in your vehicle. What if you live of that highway? you can't hunt your own land? I never seen this highway and been to Alaska so maybe I'm a little misinformed here but it sounds a little ridiculous.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Next time just run it over then finish it off with your rifle. Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge........

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by brinky72
You can't hunt within 5 miles from the road? What's their reasoning on that one? I understand that you have a ton of real estate up their but that is kind of stupid from point of view. Is the road some sort of bait pile? With all the ignorant regs in Michigan the still let you shoot from the edge of a roadway into adjacent land as long as it is open to the public ( state of Fed owned) and as long as you are not in your vehicle. What if you live of that highway? you can't hunt your own land? I never seen this highway and been to Alaska so maybe I'm a little misinformed here but it sounds a little ridiculous.

In the Yukon you couldn't hunt within 3 miles of the Demster Highway in the past. I think it is only 1 mile now. The worry was that hunting from the road would keep the caribou herds from migrating accross the highway to their winteruing areas. In this case the Porcupine caribou herd.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got caught up in the rat fink vs good guys stuff and forgot the most important part of the post.....

NICE WOO-LEEFF!!!!! and great job there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He knows what I am talking about! He went running right over to the AOD hunting forum asking if its illegal to shoot wolves from the Haul Rd with a rifle and attached a link to this thread. Pretty damn chicken chit thing to do if you ask me. A simple PM to me would have provided all the info he could ask for, including Troopers names and numbers if he so desired.

Don't get you nads frostbit from a little informative digging on my part. I was interested for hunting purposes.
I "ran over to AOD" as you say because those are the experts on the subject. They live there. Now if you had done something illegal, and I PM'd you, you could have said what ever you wanted. I would hate to get up there and shoot a wolf, only to find I was getting pinched for it. I don't know you, or how credible you are. I appreciated the response over there.
Good luck on trapping those other wolves.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's 95% experts "over there".

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 35, 338Rules, 2500HD, 63 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,683
Posts18,534,399
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.