Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
copple2 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Have any of you noticed any limitations with only being able to zoom into 30 power? Hunting out west, I am generally glassing at long distances.

Thanks,

copple2

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing this thread back TTT as Doug just listed in the Classifieds that he has received a shipment of the Nikon Wide Angle 27x eyepiece, and selling them for $99.99!!

The eyepiece is not the #7464 but the #6950. Same specs as the #7464 (same FOV, eye relief, yadda yadda....) but is the DS model, created as an alternative with digiscoping specifically in mind.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I put the #7462 30x (82ed) that I bought from doug on my 82ED and it is everything the people who rave about it say it is........spectacularly good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by copple2
Have any of you noticed any limitations with only being able to zoom into 30 power? Hunting out west, I am generally glassing at long distances.

Thanks,

copple2

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away stalking for a few days.

In all honesty I've not owned my Nikon long enough to form an opinion on that...Previously I used a fixed x30 power Opticron, and I think sometimes more magnification would be "nice" but not essential. I choose the fixed x27 power for the Nikon primarily because it offered the best eye relief, and a higher fixed mag would have caused more problems than it solved.

Have a read of the other thread on here about sheep hunting with a fixed x20 power. Many seem to think its fasible with some limitations, so a fixed x30 should be even better.

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Bringing this thread back TTT as Doug just listed in the Classifieds that he has received a shipment of the Nikon Wide Angle 27x eyepiece, and selling them for $99.99!!

The eyepiece is not the #7464 but the #6950. Same specs as the #7464 (same FOV, eye relief, yadda yadda....) but is the DS model, created as an alternative with digiscoping specifically in mind.

+10

This eyepiece makes an amazing difference in clarity, FOV etc. Well worth $99 if not considerably more.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Older post here, but I'm doing some research on the ED50 as I'd like to purchase on in the off season.

Does this 27X wide angle eye piece still exist anywhere? Can't seem to find the #6950 that Fosteology was talking about.

Any suggestions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See if Doug has one. I got mine through him. There are two versions of the 27x eyepiece as well...one is the standard eyepiece and the other is a digiscoping eyepiece (not positive, but I think the 6950 is the digiscoping eyepiece). The one I have is the digiscoping version, but it works fine.

Just Googled and found this one...

http://www.opticsale.com/nikon-7464-fieldscope-29155-prd1.html

I think that's the standard (non-digiscoping) eyepiece.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a Nikon 50mm ED and I'm very impressed with it.
Mine "only" runs up to 30X as well. But it's significantly sharper than the older, more powerful variable eye piece. It is also every bit as sharp as the fixed magnification eye piece I compared it too.
Having a variable magnification in a spotting scope is highly desirable. You sometimes need to reduce magnification during times when there is lotsa of mirage. It also allows you to use the scope longer as it gets dark. That's why I sent back the fixed magnifcation eye piece I had. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big difference between the fixed (wide angle) eyepieces and the 13-30x that it comes with is the field of view. If you've never compared the two you wouldn't believe how much better the fixed WA eyepiece is. That's why everyone is so high on the fixed WA eyepiece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on your search for the fixed 27x (#7464 and/or 6950). My understanding is Nikon discontinued these lenses. I was unable to find one in stock..... and I searched high and low!

You'll see some listed while doing a Google search (like the link above), but unfortunately when you attempt to buy one you later find out that it's not in inventory.

I would call Doug at CameraLandNY and see if perhaps he has any remaining #6950 in inventory. If not, he might be able to locate one or point you in the right direction.

The difference between the #7464 and #6950 is the later is designed for digiscoping. The ergonomics makes it's easier to mount a camera with the spotter adapter. Other than that, they're the same.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Mine "only" runs up to 30X as well. But it's significantly sharper than the older, more powerful variable eye piece. It is also every bit as sharp as the fixed magnification eye piece I compared it too.
Having a variable magnification in a spotting scope is highly desirable. You sometimes need to reduce magnification during times when there is lotsa of mirage. It also allows you to use the scope longer as it gets dark. That's why I sent back the fixed magnifcation eye piece I had. E

You must not have had the better optic WA fixed lens E. The WA lenses are noticeably better than the standard (non-WA) fixed lens.

Both WA fixed lenses are also noticeably better (brighter, sharper, better contrast and color rendition) than the variable 13-30 lens. They also have a larger FOV, and much more enjoyable spending time behind as easier on the eyes.

You have a valid point on reduced magnification when encountering mirage. For that, I've found the WA 20x works exceptionally well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus

I agree with E, I also have the ED50 and I really like it.
I like the variable zoom 13-30 eyepiece, as it allows you to zoom down when things get dimmer. With only a 50mm objective, you do need this late in the day.

Otherwise, you limit this scope to full light only. But maybe
some here will have both choices of eyepieces, so that does
give you some options.

Last edited by Farmboy1; 01/11/11.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for all the input.

Ordered the spotter with the zoom eyepiece. Will keep looking for someone selling the WA 20X and 27X and a good price.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.