Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I have decided to remove from the back of one of my gun vaults a Ruger 77 V/T model Rifle in caliber 22 PPC.
This Rifle is new in the box and unfired.
I have been holding this Rifle for a couple of years kind of watching the market and trying to make up my mind whether to keep it NIB and unfired or to get it on line and smoke up some Prairie Dogs with it this spring.
Well the antsy-ness for spring (also known as "cabin fever") to get here, has got me thinking that this will be a COOL Rifle to be shooting Prairie Dogs with!
I have a Deluxe Redding 3-die "Bushing" set of loading dies and 25 pieces (only 25!) of 22 PPC Norma brass along with lots of Berger 52 grain bullets.
What I need is powder suggestions (both type and charge weight!).
If anyone has some load suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
I have never had anything to do with reloading the 22 PPC.
My Ruger 77 V/T has the 26" barrel by the way.
The reason I used the "shocked" emoticon in my post heading is because I had recently received an offer that would have provided me with just exactly $100.00 in profit for the Rifle/die set combo!
I guess my curiousity regarding this new to me caliber is greater than the need for $100.00 tax free dollars (these are becoming VERY hard to come by anymore!).
Thanks in advance for any direction or suggestions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I had the exact same rifle you have, out fitted with a Leupold Vari x III 6.5 x 20, with target dot and X hair. Sorry can't give any specfic loads as I let my data go with the rifle when I sold it, and memory of specifics is not to be trusted. By the way you might keep an eye on the auction sights and see what the asking prices for these rifles. I made 460.00 on mine and the guy felt he got a heck of a deal. It had just under 1000 rounds down the tube when I sold it. I never tried any Bergers in mine, but tried the 52 Sierras and Speers, 53 Hornady and several hunting style 50 and 55 gr. bullets. I used Sako cases and CCIBR primers and Forester BR dies. Had some Norma brass but never broke the bag open as the Sako seemed to last forever. Never hot rodded it with most loads giving velocities similar to the 223. Ran a bunch of different powders through it. Working from memory I tried the following H322, H335, AA2230, AA2460, AA2015, RL12, IMR 4198, IMR 3031, IMR 4895 and IMR 4064, and I am sure a few more. The combinations that stand out in my memory from best to poorest were AA2015 50 Nos.BT, RL12 53 Horn., H322 52 Sierra, AA2460 52 Sierra. For squirrels the above Nos. load plus, H335 50 Sierra Blitz, AA2015 50 TnT and H322 52 Speer HP. Was willing to accept a little less accuracy for economy when blasting squirrels. As it was, half inch groups were pretty easy. Getting down into the 2's and 3's took more effort on my part. Bottom line it wasn't any more accurate than a couple of 222's and one 223 that have owned comparing factory rifles of lesser quality than the 40X Rem. Never got real comfortable with that rifle except off the bench always felt big and clubby to me. So I parted company with it. If you can you may want to make a chamber cast and save yourself some work trimming cases and turning necks. Didn't ever check the Norma brass but the Sako stuff was very long and required a lot of trimming to work in my rifle. Otherwise it was excellent brass requiring very little prep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't comment on 22 PPC experience, but I know that its tastes usually run like a 6PPC, which I have plenty with. I'd go with H322, H335, or N133 (Vihtavouri). The new Hodgdon XBR 8208 might just be fantastic, but I haven't gotten my hands on any yet. Have fun!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Selmer: Thank you very much for those powder recommendations!
I am getting excited about this new rig!
I spent the day ice fishing here in SW Montana and we are having trout for dinner!
After dinner I may get the rings lapped on the Rifle - then tomorrow night I am going to use my Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth Tool to ascertain bullet length.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Quarterboredave: Thank you for the powder recommendations!
I have lots of H 322 and a fair amount of AA 2015 on hand!
And thank you for the chamber length heads up explanation!
My retired gunsmith friend has some of that Cerro-safe (sp?) stuff and knows how to use it!
IF "I" could make $460.00 profit on my Rifle/die set - I would have to reconsider my "cabin fever" decision and maybe just sell it!
Thats enough profit money and return of original investment to buy 2 regular caliber Rifles!
Now you got me thinkin, greed!
Quarterboredave thanks again for the direction on the powders and bullets - I have some real old, REAL accurate, Sierra 52's to try as well as the Bergers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't sell that thing - I discovered once I started loading for and shooting my 6PPC that it was an addictive joy to shoot. With 30 gr. of powder I can sling out a 55gr. 6mm NBT at 3500 fps and it shoots in the .3s - and this is out of a TC Encore, not a bolt gun. Or I can bump up to a 85 gr. Sierra BTHP at 2850 fps and it shoots even better. Low muzzle blast, zero recoil, see the impact. I've never owned a .223 or .222, but this is the most fun I've ever had shooting. I've also played with Seafire's Blue Dot loads, I can run it down to 1500 fps with one hole accuracy at 50 yds and is deadly on bunnies. grin

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG,

one my real short list of varmint rigs that I wish I would have bought, the Ruger Varmint/Target in 22 PPC and 6PPC are two on that list...

I've seen a few, and talk about Accurate!

I've managed to talk myself out of doing a 20 caliber varminter, but that has been replaced with doing a 22 BR and a 6 BR on astationary varmint platform...

I'd really be interested in your success as I see the 22PPC as another version of the 22 BR..research of those that have them support the suggestion of H 322 as an accuracy powder.. that and RL 7 and RL 10....

been using all three in the 223 and 22.250, and they are really showing some astounding groups..

the 22 BR is suppose to be pretty darn accurate.. but the 22 PPC even moreso..

enjoy it!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Selmer & Seafire: Yeah guys I am back to wondering just how well I can make a factory Ruger 77 V/T shoot?
I have two Ruger 77 V/T's in 204 Ruger and another in 223 Remington that shoot pretty darn well though already.
Seafire also this - I have a pair of Remington 40XB-BR Rifles in caliber 22 Remington Bench Rest and BOTH of these Rifles are so accurate they are like laser death rays on Colony Varmints!
Yes I was all psyched up back when Ruger announced the 22 PPC and the 6mm PPC were going to be offered in their Model 77's and #1's!
Then the lawsuit ended that offering and I could not find one for the life of me.
I was happy to bring this Model 77 V/T to my house from the Spokane, Washington Gunshow.
Once I got home I found the receipt for the Deluxe Redding Bushing Type 3 die set and IIRC it says $126.00 on it!
The die set like the Rifle never got used?
Puzzling that.
The young fellow that I bought it from there in Spokane I believe got the items from his fathers estate.
Yep, I have lots of H 322 on hand!
I recently traded in to a NIB Leupold 6.5x20 EFR Model variable scope.
This ought to be about perfect on the 22 PPC.
One of my friends has me convinced to try the Burris insert type rings (made for the Ruger 77's integral action) this will be an added expense but maybe the plastic inserts will keep my EXPENSIVE Leupold EFR scope out of "harms way"?
I love bringing a new Rifle on line - I don't know why?
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 22 PPC has pretty much the same cap as the 222 Magnum.

Benchmark rules that case with bullets from 40-55 grains.

I like Unique better for 1500 fps loads with that case capacity....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.