Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am pretty interested in gettng a 45 Colt Commander in stainless. Yesterday I was at a local gun show and one guy had new commanders for sale. He wanted $850 each. Another guy wanted $1000. I was hoping that I could find a new one for around $600. Is $800 a typical price for one of these Colts?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ever since Colt decided to limit its handgun production to just a few models, prices have gone through the roof! Do yourself a favor, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a handgun, either buy a Glock and be done with it, or if you want a 1911, buy the Kimber equivalent to the Commander. The Kimber is vastly superior when it comes to fit, finish, accuracy and quality. Colt hs been riding on its name for 30 years, allowing it to charge high dollars for mediocre products.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ebd10 is right, check into the Kimber and the Springfield. Springfied has a loaded package now and again with a lot of special pricing on accessories. You can order one of the above and get all the bells and whistles at the price of a plain 1991-A1. Springfield has a top notch shooting team and they incoporate up grades into production guns. I have had trouble with the Colt fireing pin block .Kimber and Springfield don't have one. Sorry not a Glock fan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rolly,
The prices you quote are a little on the high side. I can pick up a new stainless Colt Combat Commander in the neighborhood of $700. The quality of the new XS guns was/is excellent, however, the XSEs have bad grip and thumb safeties combined with mediocre sights. I know, I have an XSE Government Model at my pistolsmith as we speak. All in all I would concur that if you want an out the box 1911, Kimber is probabely your best bet. Though even Kimber's quality control has slipped from their earliest levels. The Springfields are a mixed bag. <p> If you want a .45 with similar size and lighter weight than a steel(Combat) Commander consider a Sig 220. All in all a better out of the box pistol imho. That said my carry gun is a stainless/blued Colt Combat Commander that is box stock. <p> One recommendation, buy what you want, like you want it out of the box. Having anything done by a pistolsmith is generally expensive. By the time my new Stainless Custom Colt is finished I'll have twice the price of the base gun in it.

I will say that if you're going to spend a $1000 look past the Kimbers and consider a Rock River Arms 1911. A finer 1911 pistol can't be had for the money. Would also recommend you stick to a basic Kimber. Their Classic pistol is just fine where as the more expensive models seem to suffer from the law of deminishing returns rather heavily. Their Stainless Classic is the gun to have for the money and the Rock River is the way to go for a little more. IMHO.<p>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got to add my two cents. I'm a .45 ACP/1911 Colt fan, and owner, for over 40 years. My choice of the "handle anything" gun.
A Colt is a good gun. But, I can't agree more with Matt. Buy just what you want. Don't have it built. I've got a gun dealer buddy, who bought a Colt Commander. He had an expert smith put $1400 in parts, and labor, in it. What a sweet gun. He was in love. Then he took a Sig 220 to the range. Shot where it looked, and shot better groups than his custom Colt. Trigger was just as good-out of the box ! He sold the custom Colt.
I've got a custom Colt. I've got a basic SS Kimber w/ target sights (Custom SS Target). The Kimber shoots better. And has a better trigger.
I also have seen the "mixed bag" results of the Springfield. I don't recommend them. I have no real complaints. They just have a record of not being consistant in quality. And quality is what makes the difference between a passable 1911, and a really nice one. E

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E,
I must wonder when all this information I gain from experience and pass along is going to influence my own decisions;-). I've been down the Custom Colt road before and yet I do it again with no coersion. I'm beginning to think it's something the gunsmiths put in the water as I can't come up with another logical explanation. LOL. Regards, Matt.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Matt. I know what you mean. I went through it when buying my last binocular. I literally had to make myself take my own advice.
We are not alone. How would you like to have/maintain, and buy, all of Big Stick's rifles ? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]
Handguns, according to Jeff Cooper, are personal weapons. I don't own one that hasn't been modified somehow. I'm just as bad with rifles. I'm finally getting to the point where I'll keep them, and really learn them, for a while. But, I'm looking at another one ! E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, That is a fine point of Colonel Coopers about handguns being personal items as opposed to rack grade issue. Respect that man greatly. Makes me a feel abit better. Though I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Rock River Arms Basic Match. The finest slide and frame available according to many of the best pistolsmiths with a Kart NM barrel, non-MIM small parts, and Heinie Pro Slant Straight Eights. Retail is $1025, however, I know they can be had for considerabley less. All in all the most pistol for the money out there from what I'm told. <p> I picked up one of their NM A2 AR-15s last year on a discount program that has impressed one and all of the serious shooters I know. Though most of them own one themselves. It appears they know what they're doing on both their rifle and pistols. <p> Your other point about Stick is also on target. Any time I get too practical I only have to think about the "Quarter Bore King" or "Man of Many Custom Remingtons" as he's known to the local Indians;-). Big Heap Custom Rifles...LOL.<p>Regards, Matt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 4,273 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,653
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.