Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by laker
Which would you pick for deer and elk out to 450 yards? Why would you choose one over the other? Both would be shooting a 180 grain nosler accubond
Don't take offense to this but if your asking I assume you may be a novice hunter. Pick the 30/06 and DON'T SHOOT AT ANYTHING ANYWHERE NEAR 450 yds! That's a long shot, get closer or pass it up. The 30/06 will do all you need to do and is easier to shoot.

Last edited by jagdgewehr; 03/03/10.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

I favor the 06 for one among an arsenal of "several" rifles which might be well covered quite well by the 300. I just rarely need a rifle that heavy. If I need the power of more recoil, I step up in bore size as well.

This guy didn't stop a 190 cup and core run diagonally through at 399 yards.

Nothing spells success like . . . . . . . . . . . . . . success! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I am in awe of you olde-timers. We are truly standing on the shoulders of giants. grin grin

Don't be a wise guy Jeff;here'a a clue....some of my hunting buddies are younger than you! smile

Such cartridges(if they are comfy to shoot)are better today than they were 20-30 years ago;you have better,more accurate bullets, better scopes.I shot yesterday at 600 yards with an S&B Summit that made 600 yards seem like childs play from the standpoint of being able to see.

And you can have MOA rifles right outta the box that used to take us the better part of a year to put together.

Either the 30/06 or 300 mags are just great cartridges that, with todays scopes and LRF's will take a guy a pretty long way and both will do the job up close. The 30/06 is not chump change.I love mine!

Wise guy? Who... lil' old me? smile

I've had a rennaisance with my 30-06 for the last year at least. For a while it was kind of the red-haired stepchild in my safe. But it just got a scope upgrade and is back in the game.

Partly (like we talked about) this is because I intend to do a quality mule deer hunt soon and I'd love to get one with that rifle.

I'm jealous of your Summit.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hard not to like a 30/06,Jeff grin I like mine!It has one of those 4X Conquests on it.....

You can have a Summit, too.....I have fewer nice scopes than you smile

Do you know where you're gonna chase the mule deer?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my first deer with that '06, and got a nice blacktail with it while hunting with an old college buddy I hadn't seen in over a decade... it's a lucky rifle. On top of that it's very accurate and feels great in my hands in that Mountain LSS stock. Love it.

I have flirted with the idea of selling off X number of scopes and rifles, with the end goal being to have fewer, but truly first-rate, items. It's a thought. I love my rifles too much though, I think.

Uh... what's a Summit cost anyway? Dare I ask?

I have not decided on the fargin' mule deer hunt yet. It has the problems we talked about. Mostly, I have all these damn pref points for Oregon, but, I don't know anyone ELSE who does except my brother, whom I've been buying points for for the last 8 years. And he's not in a position to really do a proper hunt (baby in the house, wife working and in school, etc). So I'm in this wierd limbo.

That said, my elk buddy Jerry says he'll go with me to spot and just be along for the ride if I do (say) a Trout Creek Mountains or Steens hunt. Those are two of the primo areas. Deer numbers are "down" compared to some years, they say, however.

I don't know what to do, I just know I want to DO IT! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff, check with Doug but the Summit was about $1400 IIRC...it's a lot of money but then, when it comes to optics these days I don't know what alot is anymore... confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Price of good glass makes me like iron sights that much more.I'm gonna hunt moose this year with my 45 Kentucky muzzleloader.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's been my observation that the 300WM is one fine elk round. Maybe as good as it gets. I've killed some elk with one,actually a 30-338 version, but I never liked the recoil, especially from awkward field positions. But, that's me. My opinion is that a guy ought to shoot the biggest round/rifle he can handle. The trick is being honest with oneself about that. My test is to do some offhand shooting and if I don't flinch to much then I consider the recoil level OK for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never liked the 300 win mag and like the 7mm rem even less(not trying to start anything here so do not flame me).IMHO if I need more gun than a 30/06 it would be to shoot bigger heavier bullets not shoot the same bullets faster.The only real edge the 300 would have is at the furthest reaches of hunting distances which is further than most of us should be shooting to begin with.
The 300win mag. is about the largest round most guys can shoot which pleases the he-man found in most guys. If more gun is needed a fellow should be looking at a 338 win instead.

I still recommend the 30/06 with 165's-180's and then find the 325 hard to beat shooting 200-220's and/or the 338win mag with 225-250's if a guy wants "bigger" than the 06. Again this is just my thought on the subject,not saying I am right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stew I love my 300 Win mag dearly.I wouldn't be without one.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey not flaming the 300 win.Hope nobody gets to upset with me. I really miss my 300Roy which is a great round and only a little bit better than the winchester if there is any dif at all. I just think if more power is needed than the 30/06 then the 8mm mag,325 wsm,338 win is needed,hence my love for those three.

7STW we all love different rounds for different reasons,that is why we have so many. All my buddies shoot 300winnies(you included)so maybe I am one of those guys that just needs to be different.I have never,nor ever will,tell anyone the round is no good it is a great round.Its just not on my list of calibers I want.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
kinda fell the same if my.308 ulrtalite cant do it i will move to a 300 mag or bigger so no need for the old 06 but if cant afford all i like the 06 with handloads would be good compramise

Last edited by ldholton; 03/03/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257STEW

I still recommend the 30/06 with 165's-180's and then find the 325 hard to beat shooting 200-220's and/or the 338win mag with 225-250's if a guy wants "bigger" than the 06. Again this is just my thought on the subject,not saying I am right.

Damn. Well said.

.325 is pretty sweet...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let�s face it � if you can�t get it done with a .30-30 you just need to learn to �hunt� rather than �snipe�.

A .308 Win has way more recoil than a �hunter� needs to put up with and that recoil makes it difficult to shoot well. Don�t even get me started on the .30-06 or, more ridiculous yet, the .300 Win Mag.

It�s an invariable rule - the bigger the cartridge, the smaller the shooter�s man parts! People that shoot a .300 Win need a magnifying glass to take a whiz.

wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually wrong but nice try.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Let�s face it � if you can�t get it done with a .30-30 you just need to learn to �hunt� rather than �snipe�.

A .308 Win has way more recoil than a �hunter� needs to put up with and that recoil makes it difficult to shoot well. Don�t even get me started on the .30-06 or, more ridiculous yet, the .300 Win Mag.

It�s an invariable rule - the bigger the cartridge, the smaller the shooter�s man parts! People that shoot a .300 Win need a magnifying glass to take a whiz.

wink

I agree with all but the last statement as I have no profound knowledge on that topic. The 300 Savage and 30-40 Krag may be the most under rated and over looked 30 cal cartridges around.

Last edited by brinky72; 03/06/10.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

wink
.....................Coyote Hunter! And your next jokes are??????

Would you take a 30-30 on a sheep hunt, where the killing ranges are likely to be beyond 400 yards? What if one can`t get closer without spookin the game and yet still have an opportunity for a 400+ yard shot on a nice trophy??

Would you take a 30-30 on an open plains pronghorn hunt? Open ranged elk hunt? How about them big bears? 30-30 for them too?

The 30-30 has its good uses for what is was designed to do, which may fit perfectly into your particular,,,,,"shorter ranged",,,,hunting needs.

Although I cannot speak for the others, I will speak for myself. Now maybe you think a 180 grainer fired from a 308 is "more recoil" than most hunters need. But for me, and I`ll bet for quite a few others as well, that is,,, "chump change",,, recoil.

And!.........Speaking again for myself anyway, and after 35+ years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 Win Mag, plus 3 years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 WSM including 2 years reloading/shooting/hunting with a 375 Ruger, plus shooting experience with a bunch of other hi-powered magnums, (with great accuracy), I can`t still find my privates without looking down, AND without the need of a magnifyer.

Could it be,,,that you yourself,,,can`t handle the biggys and shoot them straight???? Sounds like you`re a little jealous there uh????????????.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Laker,
Skipping over 6 pages of postings, I'll tell you right now that you should use the 30-06. For a lot of reasons, many of which were probably posted. The cheaper cost of ammo is a big one unless you are a handloader. The rifle will be a little lighter and shorter and the cartridge will be easier to master. Don't get me wrong, a 300WM in capable hands is a very lethal weapon.
But a 30-06 will be easier to gain confidence because of the recoil. You can master your skill level with cheaper ammo and move up to the premium stuff for elk. A standard cup and core is plenty for deer. Don't buy into the magnumitis, it is not really needed that often. A hunters' ego demands it more than the big game does.

I should add that this comes from 16 30-06 elk kills in my group to date from 75 yards to 425 yards - 6 from the 270Win and 10 from the 30-06. Good luck.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/06/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
OK, here's the deal.
I shoot my .375 Ruger with about as much recoil worry as I do a .223! I don't think of it at all. And my .375 weighs just 7-3/4 lbs.
Everyone has a different level of tolorance for recoil. Does that mean I should stop at YOUR recoil level for MY best shooting? Rediculous!
That's for everyone to decide for themselves.
I have owned a dozen or more 06s, and like them a lot for their lighter weight, and shorter overall length in thicker stuff.
I also have a .300 WM, and like it a lot for open country shooting where ranges can stretch a ways farther. They are both tools, and both handle their jobs well for their intended purposes. But, they are tools. Asking which is better is like asking which is better, a boat or a plane! It depends on the job it is meant to do.
My favorite caliber for most of what and where I hunt is my .375 Ruger and 300 grain RN bullets. But that does not make it better or worse then someone else's choice.
But it's MY choice.
I like an exit hole from any angle on large animals.

P.S. I like BIG holes!

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72

wink

I agree with all but the last statement as I have no profound knowledge on that topic. The 300 Savage and 30-40 Krag may be the most under rated and over looked 30 cal cartridges around.

Actually, I don�t agree with ANY of the statements I made, which I tried to indicate with the winky ( wink ) at the end of my post. Anyone that has read many of my posts would, I hope, realize I was being facetious in the extreme.

While I do have a Marlin .30-30 and enjoy shooting it, the .30-30 is a big game virgin in my hands. Not so with my Remington .308 Win, Ruger .30-06 or Ruger .300 Win Mag. (Nor my Ruger 7mm Rem Mag or my Marlins in .375 Win and .45-70, for that matter.)

The truth is I don�t believe it�s always possible to get closer, that the .300 Win Mag has intolerable recoil or that people can�t shoot magnums well or that choosing a magnum necessarily indicates lack of confidence in one�s manhood. (Or womanhood, whatever.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.