Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking for a handgun for my wife. This would be for plinking as well as for self defense. I have a 22 revolver (POS) which I don't even want to start her out on. A revolver would be the best for learning the basics. She is not nervous or jumpy about firearms and should learn quickly. I want to give her a weapon that she will be very comfortable with and is easy to learn. We live near an excellent range with indoor and outdoor options. From your own experience, what would be a good starting piece, and an idea of price. Thanks in advance.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A good .22 is never a mistake. My favorite is the Ruger Single Six Stainless Convertible. Get the adjustable sight model. I've taught lots of people to shoot on this one. Everybody liked it. The .22 Magnum round will handle a wide range of chores. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Mark II-.22 Semi-Automatic w/10rd clips.<p>I've had lots of girls/women shoot it..my sister, my wife, badger's wife and both daughters!! It is easy to teach, easy to shoot! I think they are less than $250 new.<p>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8ball
I agree with you on the revolver. I bought a Taurus 85Ti for my wife a while back to replace a S&W 342 titanium. The Smith was ridiculously rough, and with the double actio-only mode of the centennials, the trigger was a joke. My wife could barely pull it. It was convenient to get rid of it, to get the Taurus.<p>It has a hammer and a far superior trigger. It is a 38 but +P rated for the hotter loads. It weighs next to nothing and is a bit hard to hold when firing full-bore loads, but loaded down it is quite controlable. I load squibs (4gr of Unique behind a 150gr bullet gives me about 450fps) for her and she loves to shoot it. And she can handle the full-bore loads just fine.<p>I think that a defense handgun does no good sitting in a drawer at home and a hard to carry piece will not be carried. A .22 is a lot easier to shoot, and likely would be more fun, but not really adequate for self-defense, IMO.<p>Ordinary dealer cost is about 350, and if you can find a dealer to order it for you for the standard 10% over, after shipping it should be in the 425 range, at least 100 less than the S&W. The standard blued steel version should be at least 100 less, if you don't want to get that carried away with things.<p>I just ordered the Crimson Trace laser grips for her for Christmas, to complete the set-up, and yes, she was asking for them.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help guys. The initial purchase will most likely a 22 to keep for messing around later, then move into something a little more formidable for the self defense aspect.
I appreciate the ideas.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greetings, I would start her with the 22 to get the basics, and to practice marksmanship. I then would purchase her a 357 magnum revolver such as a taurus or ruger. Use 38 for cheap plinking loads and 38+ P For self defense. The use of magnum shells is always an option if needed, but I would probably stick to the 38. As for barrel suggestion a 3 to 4 inch barrel would be perfect although the 4 inch may be hard for her to conceal if that is the method of carry, then use a 2 1/2 -3 inch barrel. Good Luck. Esox357.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8ball-- You are trying to make one pistol do two different things but you know that. You are correct that a 22 is not a real good self defense gun but then again nobody wants to get shot even with a 22. Conversely a 38/357 is not an ideal plinker due to weight and cost especially if you don't hand load. Tarus/Rossi make some nice 22's and were I you I'd get one or a good used S&W like a kit gun if I could find it. Start saving pennies for a good 357 da revolver as a self defense small game hunting piece.
BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Just a couple of comments on the .22. It doesn't stop worth a hoot, in a gun fight. But, bullet performance/effectiveness in a gunfight is highly variable. Most Bad Guys are loaded, or high, on something. Dealing with one, in a shooting, is much more a matter of remaining cool, and hitting him right, read that, at all, than which load.
The .22 Rim Fire Magnum round is a different animal. For instance, I know of two cops who are not with us anymore. One was shot in the heart, and the other in the stomach with that round. The gut shot cop got off 4 rds., and missed.
The cardinal rule in serious carry is to carry what you shoot well. Yeah, I know. When I pack, it's, usually, a 1911 Colt in .45 ACP. But, I've packed a .22 Magnum too. I know what it will do. E

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm pondering this question right now as well. My girlfriend is rather leery of guns. She also has itty bitty hands, and is not mechanically inclined. Operating the slide release on a Mark II gives is difficult for her. Put this all together and right now my current pick is a Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R. Thats assuming this evil weapon is even Kalifornia legal. If not, then it will be a stainless single six in the same caliber.<p>I've never owned a gun in this caliber, only shot them, and really liked them. Seems like a good choice if you have to go for the low end of cartridges. Shoot .32 S&W level loads for practice and familiarization, and toss in the hot stuff for defense.<p>Scott

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Scott. Good thinking. I suggest you take her to a well stocked gun store, (Reed's ?) and try several out. Pick the one that she feels most confident with-even if it's a .22.
There are some hot .32 H&R Magnum loads out (Cor-Bon ?). I recall Gun Tests was rather impressed with that round out of the Ruger.
Good luck. E

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here in MI. we now have a shall issue CCW law. As an NRA instructor, I have taught a lot of women to shoot guns safely and responsibly. Overwhelmingly, the ladies like to learn with a .22. It has been my experience that once they learn the basics with the 22, they seem to transition to the larger calibers more easily and they are not as concerned with recoil. It is important that the ladies have a positive first impression when learning about firearms. I have read posts and talked to people who have started their wives/girlfriends/daughters using a 44 mag. and then they wonder why the ladies dont ever want to shoot a gun again. Likewise, a lot of men will go to a gunstore and purchase a firearm for their lady without having them handle the gun, thinking that they know whats best for them. BIG MISTAKE! I have had women come through the Basic Pistol and Personal Protection class with a gun their husband told them to use. In almost every case, the gun was not right for the lady and they would end up using one of my 22's for the course. On the positive side, a lot of guns have been sold because the ladies would then go to a gunshop and buy a handgun that is right for them.
Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
S&W 642LS ("LadySmith") .38+P ... 15oz. to keep the recoil down, yet small enough to conceal easily. Concealed hammer and smooth wood grip (no sticking or snagging coming out of a purse or pocket). .38spl is still a bit much for plinking for a woman.
<br>
<br>Saw that you're planning on buying the .22 first. What's she going to defend herself with until you buy another gun? I hope nothing happens until (or even after) then.
<br>
<br>I just can't see a woman shooting anything more than .38+P in a CC gun ... unless she's built like Tyson.
<br>
<br>Good luck.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello, I would go to an indoor range and let you'r wife get the "feel" for the different firearms. I know the 22lr has a lot going for it in terms of Recoil, but a stopper it is not...I would START at either a 9mm ( sig, or s&w, or a taurus ) in a pistol...Or a good 38 cal revolver, ( s&w or taurus). If concealed carry is in mind, I would by a pistol /revolver with an aluminum frame...Ammo is resonable for a 9 / 38 cal, and recoil is not that bad...Some of the better ammo for self-defence are the Fed Hydra Shock, Rem Golden Sabre, or Speer Gold Dot...What ever you'r choice GOOD LUCK...MVGS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I am looking for a handgun for my wife."
<br>
<br>Well, how big is she? How fast can she run or dodge? Does she normally weary heavy clothes or even body armor? How close do you expect to be to her when you shoot...
<br>
<br>Oh, wait, uh, never mind.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I/m an NRA instructor also and have had exactly the same experience as Keeb. I even bought some very inexpensive handguns from these same ladies. I have Several 22 handguns for students to shoot ranging from old H&R , Smiths , Taurus and Ruger. Have never had a problem stepping the ladies up to 38. Aside from the 22 Mag, a 38 or 9mm is that baseline for self defense. Either produces about 300 ft, maybe a little less. Most women will not shoot full house .357 mag loads and will therfore not carry . She must have (1) a gun that is easy for her to carry, so she will and (2) a gun that she can be proficeint with and is pleasant to shoot. Ignore either one and it will end up in a draw somwhere when she really needs it. Take her along when you buy it. If she s doesn''t want to go, she sure as heck is not going to carry one.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't underestimate your wifes ability to handle a full power gun. Most of the 9mm and larger pistols made for concealed carry are just the right size for womens hands. I started my wife on 22s, then went to a snub nosed 38. Now she prefers my 1911 commander. She also has a Berreta M9 that she wanted. Its too large for concealed carry but she handles it just fine. She is 5'6" and doesn't weigh much at all. She also shoots a 44 redhawk with no problem.
<br>
<br>Many people equip their wifes with guns they would never use themselves for self defense. Doesn't make much sense to send your wife out with less than ideal firearms.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dooce
<br>"I just can't see a woman shooting anything more than .38+P in a CC gun ... unless she's built like Tyson."
<br>
<br>My guess is you don't know many women who shoot. As long as the grips fit their hands, they can handle as much recoil as you can. It usually depends on wether they want to shoot it or not. That also applies to rifles as well. I have seen many women who can shoot a 375H&H with no problems. I have seen many men who almost come to tears with the same rifle. And no, they were not built like Tyson.
<br>
<br>

KodiakIsland,
<br>
<br>CC stands for "Concealed Carry" which means a gun, likely, under 25oz. Perhaps there are women, not necessarily built like Tyson, who wouldn't complain about shooting a .40 or .45ACP in that weight gun, however, my comment was in the context that we're talking about women new to shooting any kind of gun.
<br>
<br>No, I don't know a lot of women who shoot. I've only taught four and they all hated everything more than a .22LR. And, I'm sure that a woman, not built like Tyson, could fire a more powerful handgun ... I just made the comment to insinuate that a woman who wouldn't mind shooting more than .38+P in a CC gun, would likely be of a "tougher breed" and that that would be rare and that perhaps one should seriously consider .38+P as a maximum load for a woman to carry for PD (that's "Personal Defense") ... at least, to start with. If she ends up going to the range often and thinks to herself "this is just a candy-ass little gun ... I need something with more power", then fine ... she can carry a .44mag for all I care.
<br>
<br>Now, if you'd like to start out a woman on something more powerful than .38+P, I guess that's your thing. Personally, I think it would, far more often than not, result in the woman being afraid to shoot the gun. Perhaps you associate with a different kind of woman than I do.
<br>
<br>Otherwise, if you were merely attempting to piss me off my twisting my words to say "NO woman can shoot any kind of gun more powerful than .38+P unless she has the exact same build as Tyson", you've succeeded.
<br>
<br>As you've offered your "guess", let me offer mine:
<br>
<br>My guess is that you're not happy with your lot in life and the only way you can muster an ounce of self-esteem is to try and pick out any little thing anywhere you can find it and attempt to insinuate that someone else is an idiot.
<br>
<br>Was I close?
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey man, My professional opinion is to take a valium before reading any more of my posts. If you go back and read both of my post, you will see half of what you wrote does not apply to what I said. Besides, what I said was meant in a friendly manor. Anyone else see anything offensive in my posts??
<br>
<br>All I was trying to point out is many women can handle as much recoil as men. My guess to the four women you introduced to shooting hated more than just shooting the gun. I have introduced many more women and children to shooting than 4 and have never had anyone stop at the 22LR.
<br>
<br>As to your other responses, it shows alot of what is going on in your own life, not mine. Peace brother.

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 01/29/02.

KodiakIsland,
<br>
<br>Sounds like I struck a nerve.
<br>
<br>Here's a thought:
<br>
<br>The next time you want to reply to someone's comments in a friendly manner, use a little common sense and presume, for just an instant, that someone, besides yourself, attempts to convey a thought through words rather than simply making ridiculous statements. And, after that, if you still find it necessary to point out that what someone stated was wrong, be prepared for an unkindly response.
<br>
<br>In any event, you must hang out with some pretty hefty women ... ha ha. I can't help but get the vision of a large group of burly women packin' .454's furrowing their uni-brows in an intimidating manner ... I'm sure they'd have no worries when it comes to PD.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And what exactly was the ridiculous statement I made? If you could please explain yourself clearly. Having worked with women biathletes and knowing many female hunters and shooters I thought I had something to add.
<br>
<br>Did anyone else see a problem with what I wrote or am I just over insensitive today?

KodiakIsland,
<br>
<br>The ridiculous statement was mine "women built like Tyson" ... it was intended to convey an idea ... it was not meant to be taken literally ... GET IT?
<br>
<br>You can contribute any info/opinion you'd like. But, when you directly responded to me stating "My guess is you don't know a lot of women who shoot" you were trying to imply that I didn't know what I was talking about. I don't give a [bleep] if you think I know what I'm talking about or not, and, likely, noone else does either. But, you stated that you didn't, and that was what pissed me off. If you managed to find a bunch of women who don't mind shooting anything more powerful than .38+P, then fine ... but you don't need to insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about. If you wanted to contribute, what you should have said was "I know many women who don't mind shooting cartridges more powerful than .38+P in CC guns" as opposed to "My guess is you don't know a lot of women who shoot" ... one statement is confrontational, particularly in that it was directed at me, whereas, the other is a statement of your own personal experience ... GET IT?
<br>
<br>I submit that there may very well be women who don't mind shooting .40, .45ACP, .44spl, .357mag, or even .44mag in a CC gun (while I'm not sure there are many options for CC in .44mag). My experience tells me that this would be very rare, particularly for a woman new to guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fine then. Change my response to we know two different sets of women who shoot. Or what ever will make you feel better. I didn't know I took the Tyson idea literally untill you told me. All I was trying to do was add my experience to yours. I didn't say anything about you not knowing what you were talking about. Those were your words.
<br>Later

Been there and done that. After several "I know what ought to work"s and a couple of thousand dollars in miscues, including a Sig P230, I took her to every gunshow and dealer I could find. She now has a used S&W Model 36 with a 3" bbl. and a round butt, and she actually likes to shoot it and she does take it with her. I put some Wolff springs in it and smoothed it just a hair (it was well used, so it didn't need much). If I had done this first I would have saved a whole bunch of time and money.
<br>When it came time for my daughter, I did the same thing taking her around to let her look and touch (I do still learn, albeit slowly), and she picked a small used Rossi with no model number, and a round butt, and a 3" bbl., and she loves it.
<br>I load reduced 38s for them to plink with, and stoke them with Hydra Shoks or Glasers for carry, and I feel they are well equiped, but I don't know why they never liked my Taurus 431 44 Special. It only weighs over twice what they like and has much bigger handles.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
8ball,
<br>
<br>Here's a thought: buy her a Ruger Single-Six to learn with, then when she's comfortable with it, swap out the .22LR cylinder and step up to .22WMR--them lil' mags are a peach, and add considerably to "stopping power."
<br>
<br>And heck, if she doesn't like it, then you have a decent plinker/varmint handgun.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Own Drummer sez:

"The only gun control needed: 3 bullets, 1 hole."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.