Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You just take the damn thing hunting. There is no cut off line $$$ wise when it comes to hunting a rifle. Some prefer to hunt with a custon gun that isn't made of plastic. It's not my cup of tea when it comes to a hunting gun but I can see the draw to it.

I would hunt it, get a few dings on it. When I got old I would admire the rifle (what's left of it), notice the dings and scratches and remember the hunts where they came from.

Until it's your rifle it's not yours to label a "Safe Queen."

Terry

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And until it's yours, you just have an opinion.

Like everyone else who posted on the subject. grin

JM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
And until it's yours, you just have an opinion.

Like everyone else who posted on the subject. grin

JM

For Chrissakes, quit messin' around and take a stand, man. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few like it and use them. Like I said.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
You just take the damn thing hunting. There is no cut off line $$$ wise when it comes to hunting a rifle. Some prefer to hunt with a custon gun that isn't made of plastic. It's not my cup of tea when it comes to a hunting gun but I can see the draw to it.

I would hunt it, get a few dings on it. When I got old I would admire the rifle (what's left of it), notice the dings and scratches and remember the hunts where they came from.

Terry
Well said! Wonder how many folks that see buying/using a rifle like that as "retarded" have spent more on other hunting 'tools'? Many an ATV/UTV make that price tag look small. And there won't be much left of them to pass down the grandkids...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Latest Sports Afield has a brief write up on a Savage 99 in 250-3000 commissioned by John Francis Dodge (Dodge Brothers Motor Car Co.) in 1915. Apparently it recently turned up at the family estate. Was sitting in a corner in a closet, not even in a case, and never been fired. Sold at auction in April 2009 for $230,000 to an anonymous bidder.

Definitely spectacular! More pics available at this website.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/department_view_item.asp?ItemId=69069

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great idea...but a bit small for Thanksgiving dinner with the family. LOL
Hoomesteader

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shoot a trap gun that cost about twice what that 99 is listed for. I shoot it in the rain, snow and hot sun, and sits in the rack outside between shoots. That's what it was made for and that's how I use it.
I'd carry this beautiful gun in the woods with me every day, shoot it at the range and show it off to all my friends. That's
what it was made for.
Would you buy a $40,000 pick up and keep it in the garage, why would you worry about a $6000 gun, besides in 5 years the gun would be worth more than the pick up. smile

"The older I get, the better I was"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not much hunting/shooting stuff I have that doesn't get used. Sometimes it takes awhile to get around to using it again, but it gets taken out and played with.

Paying good money for something and then letting it sit in the safe or corner to only pull out when the mood strikes is a little foreign to me. Every hunt is not in Alaska conditions or evolves rubbing around in a scabbard. Seems like more and more people are spending their BG deer time in stands, some of which are akin to being in your living room. If one can afford that rifle I'm sure they can swing a beater for the the times they wouldn't care to use the good stuff..

I think it would look great in one of this years upcoming deer thread pics.

There are those who pay 5 times that for a truck then cringe when they have to take it up a muddy road, but they paid extra for the rear lockers.

To each their own. My vote is to hunt it when appropriate.

I just came out on the good side of a little health scare. Changes ones perspective of what, why, where, when, etc. Doesn't make much sense to be dead with a bunch of nice unused firearms in the closet.

Last edited by battue; 03/10/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Even if affordable, that kind of wood better belongs on a nice piece of (INDOOR) furniture or other in-home decor (desk, coffee table, book shelving, wall trimming, wood paneling, bed frame and posts, dinette sets, gun cabinet, etc & etc.

If one wishes to spend 6K or alot more on a (PRETTY) and/or engraved rifle, then go for it. For myself however, it`s a big waste of money! One accidental slip up or fall resulting in a ding or scratch on a beautiful wood stock would sicken me. So, I avoid that problem to begin with!

I`ll take a far lesser expensive scratch proof, ding proof, warp proof and far less attractive rifle on hunts, without having to baby the thing and/or constantly having to protect it.

More of a safe queen rifle!!!

The oooooohs and aaaaaaws from others simply isn`t worth it!!!

To show how people are different. I think a piece of wood like that on a table your going to eat off would be a bigger waste of money. "Hay kids remember the steak we had on that table back in 2010?" vs "I took that buck in 2010 with the Empire Savage. Not much about that day I don't remember."
One is a meal, the other a quickening that feeds you over and over beyond the happening.

But to each their own.

Last edited by battue; 03/10/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put that on gunbroker and then post a link in the Savage forum below and all you got is a non-numbers matching reblued rat. laugh

If I had the kind of cash to buy that, I'd hunt it and hunt it hard. No safe queens here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This thing makes me even more sure i was stupid back then to buy a Harley Davidson. Could've bought three of those for the same money, the difference being i'd still give a [bleep] about 'em today.

Ahhh, to be flush just once more in life...

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would rather spend the money on a great hunting opportunity. I am a little on the conservative side, and wouldn't want to show up in a hunting camp with that one.

Although, a nicley re stocked M99 in medium grade walnut, stained dark, with an oil finish could be nice priced at about twelve hundred or less. Especially if shaped similiar to the originals except with a higher straight comb and a full pattern of hand checkering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1

Terry

Yep, that is how I see. Thanks Terry, saved me lots of typing.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sactoller
[quote=TC1]You just take the damn thing hunting. There is no cut off line $$$ wise when it comes to hunting a rifle. Some prefer to hunt with a custon gun that isn't made of plastic. It's not my cup of tea when it comes to a hunting gun but I can see the draw to it.

Terry

[sactoller quote]Yep that is how I see.Thanks Terry,saved me lots of typing [quote]

Agree with Terry and sactoller completely...I used to stick a Griffen&Howe 338 in saddle scabbards on elk hunts;used my Goens 270 in snow storms and almost got it run over by a jeep while retrieving a muley I killed with it.....they are meant and built to be "used".....

Problem is many folks equate "pretty" with "fragile"....the truth is you can use a good custom,hunt the hell out of it,and a good smith can retsore it to like new.....if you were really foolish enough to do it....if you will not hunt it, there is not much to distinguish a fine custom rifle from a coin collection.

Back in the 80's I owned Bob Chatfield-Taylor's M70 270 built by Len Brownell.....this was a really fine rifle that(by the time I got it)had worn bluing here and there,some dings in the stock as it had been carried on sheep hunts with the O'Connors,been to Africa, and Wyoming for pronghorn, deer and elk...But its' pedigree showed through and through,and a trip to the smith would have restored it......not that I ever thought of doing such a thing of course.... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/10/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Truly a beautiful rifle.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It's certainly nice, but for significantly less than that you could pick out your own 99 and get it custom built to your own specs, with that grade of wood, quality engraving, and iron sights...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I think finely made rifles that take the various crafts to the highest state of the art are just that: A work of art. A testament to the upper limits of craftsmanship that is meant pretty much to be regarded and respected as such.

You know, in the same manner that one doesn't compare a velvet rendition of Elvis to Da Vinci's Mona Lisa...even though both, technically, are paintings.

Which is why the Mona Lisa doesn't hang over someone's kitchen table...or stand in the corner of a forgotten closet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure is pretty. If I had that kind of cash I'd buy it in a heart beat, and hunt the dog piss out of it. That rifle in .358 would be sweet. I'm more impressed by what the did to the 99, the action work, the barrel and so on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
deffinately nice but i would rather have 4 to 6 nice original Savages that i could use, smile

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 1minute, 240NMC, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,339
Posts18,487,720
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.