Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
seems like the logical choice to me, seeing as it comes capable of feeding the PPC case, and with the correct bolt face etc. Plus, it will be a little brother to the .358-.375 Ruger i have on a 798, am i missing something here, or is this the perfect donor?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They usually need some slicking up, they come pretty rough in the bolt raceways, according to several guys who've done similar rebarrels. Still, there aren't many choices for that boltface, so if you can find a good deal, it seems like a natural.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I love it when people agree with me!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Also, does anyone know what the bore dia. is on that rifle the way it comes from zatava? is it a .311, .310, .312? if someone has one, could they please measure and chime in?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've talked myself out of doing A 20 CAL build...

however, that action strikes me as a perfect choice for that build...

if you really want to impress your varmint shooting buddies tho, how about a 20 PPC on a Ruger Mini 30 platform?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thought about this too. i own a mini 14, and i love it, but it just does not suit me for a precision type rifle. if i was gonna do it in a semi auto, i would try (97% chance, unsuccessfully) to do it in an AR-15 type. i can see major feed issues with it though. i like the distinctive look of Mauser type rifles, and the overbuilding the seem to be prone to.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I looked at a 799 in 7.62x39 as a donor for a 6PPC deer rifle build. Got to handle one at a nearby Gander Mountain store. They're pretty rough for what they cost new. As Ratsmacker said, they'd need some action/trigger work and I'd bet that you'll end up with a different stock as well. I contacted Wyatts Outdoor about their magazine boxes and compatibility with the PPC case. They said that they make a magazine box for Remington 700's that will feed BR cases and believe that they can provide one thqat will feed PPC as well. If the Wyatt box will feed PPC cases I think you might end up with a better rig for fit/finish, accuracy, and options like triggers, bedding pillars, etc. Granted it's not a Mauser style action though.

Just an alternative to consider.

Frank

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
i would agree with everything you said. the only problem i foresee, is trying to put an insert in a .473 bolt face for the ppc, or open up a .376 face to .447 for it. OR going the far more expensive option and buying an aftermarket bolt.....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Opening the bolt face should be no big deal (or big expense). If you're having the action trued during rebarreling the bolt face is squared as part of that process and opening the bolt face shouldn't require an additional set-up. You would have to make a decision about sako or Rem. extractor.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RugerDude: Is there something that a 20 PPC will do that any one of MANY factory Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger won't do?
If I were you, I would simply drive over to Montana and vist a Bob Wards Sporting Goods chain store and buy a Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 204 Ruger that are on sale right now for $549.00.
These Rifles are repeaters and ARE accurate - VERY accurate.
I have two of them in fact.
Think about the costs involved of the 20 PPC - first the 799 then a new custom barrel, then having it fitted and chambered by a Riflesmith then the costs of the custom dies!!!
Fireforming - more expense.
IF there is something in the Varmint Hunting world that a 204 Ruger won't do for me I have as yet to run across what that might be!
My 2,008 Redding Catalog shows a price of $150.00 for the custom 20 PPC 2 die set!
The 3 die set for the 20 PPC was $237.00 back then!
Who knows what the price will be here in 2,010?
A custom quality barrel is $300.00 and smithing it is another $150.00 - minimum!
Then you still have to buy the 799 Rifle as a platform.
I am BIG fan of the twenty calibers for Varminting - they are awesome!
And if your heart is set on a 20 PPC then I say go for it - but it is going to be a sizeable investment compared to a 204 factory Rifle.
Again best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RD,
I think brass and dies would be an issue, as is smithing, but you would have something perfect for death on sage rats. I personally think, after trying to make a 204 work (an M77, on its second barrel with a custom re-cut by Greg Tannel, still sucketh) that the PPC case or the Tactical 20 is better-suited. I think the 204 is overbore...it certainly runs warm.
Twere ME, I'd go with the regular 22PPC or even plain old 220 Commie.
By the way, if you know Larry Cribbs, tell him hello.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
RD,
I think brass and dies would be an issue, as is smithing, but you would have something perfect for death on sage rats. I personally think, after trying to make a 204 work (an M77, on its second barrel with a custom re-cut by Greg Tannel, still sucketh) that the PPC case or the Tactical 20 is better-suited. I think the 204 is overbore...it certainly runs warm.
Twere ME, I'd go with the regular 22PPC or even plain old 220 Commie.
By the way, if you know Larry Cribbs, tell him hello.

Interesting.. based on a sample of ONE rifle ( which may have had issues no barrel can fix) you condemn the chambering as not "working"..

Your anwser is a wildcat round based on the same basic case,which holds about 10% less powder and that cases must be made for...GREAT SOLUTION...LOL

I'd bet $1,000 that if BOTH of those Ruger factory barrels where rechambered to .20 Tactical , that Ruger STILL would not shoot worth a damn.

Your "overbore" comment is interesting as well. If every "overbore" cartidge were not accurate, many, many cartridges like the .22-250 and .220 Swift would not be the classics they are today.

Hell, to many of the Benchrest shooters out there, the .22 PPC is "overbore".

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RugerDude
seems like the logical choice to me, seeing as it comes capable of feeding the PPC case, and with the correct bolt face etc. Plus, it will be a little brother to the .358-.375 Ruger i have on a 798, am i missing something here, or is this the perfect donor?

Probably the BEST round to put in a Rem 799 with the Russian bolt face is the 6.5 Grendel..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
There is something a .20 ppc will do that a factory .204 Ruger will not. some of those are... allow for 55 gr bergers to be seated out and still take advantage of the case's capacity and still fit in the box, stabilize 40 gr v-max/50 gr bergers/55 gr bergers, drive 55 gr bullets 3200+ safely, have enough throat for the 55 gr bullets period. the list goes on. i own a .204 Ruger, and dont get me wrong, i love it. but factory .204 rugers come with a 1-12 twist, in most cases this will not stabilize a 40 gr v-max, much less the longer 55 gr berger HP's. and even if it would, so much of that bullet has to be seated down into the body, that you may as well have a 20 tactical, its not going to give you desirable speeds with those very heavy bullets.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RugerDude
There is something a .20 ppc will do that a factory .204 Ruger will not. some of those are... allow for 55 gr bergers to be seated out and still take advantage of the case's capacity and still fit in the box, stabilize 40 gr v-max/50 gr bergers/55 gr bergers, drive 55 gr bullets 3200+ safely, have enough throat for the 55 gr bullets period. the list goes on. i own a .204 Ruger, and dont get me wrong, i love it. but factory .204 rugers come with a 1-12 twist, in most cases this will not stabilize a 40 gr v-max, much less the longer 55 gr berger HP's. and even if it would, so much of that bullet has to be seated down into the body, that you may as well have a 20 tactical, its not going to give you desirable speeds with those very heavy bullets.

The .204 is a 400-500 yard varmint cartidge not a 1,000 yard Benchrest rifle.

Making a .204s trajectory steeper than a factory 55g .223 round is silly in the extreme..

Not to mention the fact that a 55g Berger with it's blunt nose shape has no better real world BC than a 40g V Max..

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The CZ527 also comes in 7.62X39 if the protruding magazine, backwards safety, and single set trigger are to your taste. They're executed much better than the 798. I believe that the ruger M77 also came chambered in 7.62X39. They won't be easy to find though.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Not a fan of the grendel, never was, and i LOVE 6.5's. so, maybe that 55 gr bullet from a 20 ppc isnt going any faster than a 40 gr out of a .204, but it carries undeniably more energy. and the 40 v-max BC is .275, the 55 bergers, is .381. even if they were the same BC the point would be irrelevant, because a 12 twist .204 Ruger will not stabilize either one at safe pressures...an 8 or 9 twist ppc however, is a much different story

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
RugerDude - I was just looking at the load data and ballistics of the 20BR and it appears as though you can drive a 40 gr bullet at 4000 fps from the 20BR, but with the 204 it is necessary to step down to the 32 gr bullet to attain that speed. It also appears to do this with only a couple or so grains of powder more - it appears to be an efficient cartridge.

After reading about it it sounds like a neat cartridge and a pretty neat project also. What the heck, build what you want and let the naysayers carp about something else - after all it is your money and your project. As long as you are happy with what you are doing more power to you.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think brass would be an issue,jin62, just neck down the .220 Russian case. If you get the neck diameter right, you wouldn't even have to neck-turn except to clean 'em up. Dave Kiff probably already makes that reamer, the .20 PPC is a known entity now.
It's an imminently doable build, and I think RugerDude has his head on straight. I'm not a fan of the 799, but even that's workable if the right guy gets to work on it. Kevin Weaver comes to mind..............

Go for it, RD.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for that ratsmacker. i was a little curious what he was going on about with expense, 799+barrel+reamer+work, nothing too crazy. a faster twist .204 Ruger would cost every bit as much to build since that would have to be a custom job too. hey rifle manufacturers... how about a 1-9 .204 offering???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.