Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One upside to the Timney is that if it does break, you knock out two pins, put in your spare (you do own a spare right? grin ) and you're back to shooting. No springs to adjust or chase around the range. Try that with any other trigger.

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR

I told you before to state your opinion, I'll certainly state mine. Just please don't take it personal, it's not meant to be.

I didn't take it personal and knew you didn't either.

I think (could be wrong) that Timney is able to get this trigger this light and crisp because they control the entire workings of the trigger system because they supply the housing, instead of trying to get a trigger to mesh up on a million different receivers. Think about it. If you are 100% sure of the sear engagement it's not a problem to have much tighter tolerences and a much lighter pull without sacrificing usability. I actually like the remington 700 Timney and really like the Timney sportsman for the M98.

I Personally don't have have problem with the aluminum housing, it matches the rest of the rifle grin

Terry

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Both of us may be interpreting what was asked in different ways as it seems what I quoted is not what you quoted as important points in the thread. Different perspectives. Nothing to be particularly petty over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
One upside to the Timney is that if it does break, you knock out two pins, put in your spare (you do own a spare right? grin ) and you're back to shooting. No springs to adjust or chase around the range. Try that with any other trigger.

That is a good point. Perhaps I will get a spare when my cash flow is better as a spare Timney would indeed be a quick R&R in a pinch.

I think I will get the Timney for my DPMS and see for myself how it works. Not too far down the road will hope to add a high cap .308 in all stock configuration to the arsenal. M-14, CETME or AR-10.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not meant to dig on anyones trigger choice but here's a good look at several triggers and pay particular attention to the guy from Timney's words about light strikes. If you don't want to read it, the tester had light strikes and was told the trigger was never meant for miliatry grade ammo but if you intend to use it, buy the AR10 version. I can't say it any better.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12170
Also pay attention when he says "the pins could fall out" KNS pins would be a must for this trigger.

Again not meant to dig but good info I thought should be shared.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there was the slightest chance of the pins falling out the guy didn't have the trigger installed properly to begin with.

I've shot a lot of Mil-Surp ammo with mine and have yet to experience a misfire. Of coarse this is just my own first hand personal experience with the trigger in question.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I wanted to buy the Geissele trigger set up, where would I go to do that?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Terry, screws do come loose... just saying.
I'm also glad you haven't had any light strikes or problems at all with yours. Doesn't mean the next one will perform the same.

Safariman, Brownells has them in stock. Geissele does make a non adjustable trigger but they are hard to come by being $100 cheaper.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Terry, screws do come loose... just saying.
I'm also glad you haven't had any light strikes or problems at all with yours. Doesn't mean the next one will perform the same.

that's true, but second and third hand parroted info from a guy that calls himself Septic-Tank doesn't prove anything either. I'm absolutely sure I could come up with a bunch of quotes from people that are very happy with thier Timney AR triggers.

As far as the loose pins go, I stand by my statment. If the pins were loose the unit needs attention. If it moves in the action that could very well be the reason for the light strikes. If it was correct there is no way the pins could ever come out and the screw shouldn't back out on is own.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 11/02/09.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the Geissele triggers, cost aside which is the prefered model, Adjustable or non-adjustable? I may give one a try.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one AR with a Timney and I think it is fixed at 3lb, It has worked as expected, I also have a jewell that has never failed and several RRA that have been tweaked.
I have a NM in my M15T from Armalite and I would put it up against all the others I own, it is smooth and very crisp.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Timney trigger will be used for hunting coyotes on my AR . If the rifle was for Military use i would keep the original trigger because you don't need a 3 lb trigger on a Military grade AR. I want to shoot small groups not small people. The factory trigger isn't all that bad for hunting but it is hard to shoot 1/2 or smaller groups with a 5 to 6 lb trigger. I like the self contained trigger on the AR because they are straight forward and can be replaced in a hurry if you need to. As far as the pins falling out i had to use a punch and small hammer to take the McCormick out and to put it back in the receiver. The pins fit very tight.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Terry, did you even read the link?
First he said "if" the screws cae loose there's nothing to keep the pins in place.
Second call Timney yourself and prove the guy wrong, speak with Jason Mladineo and ask him if he was misquoted, ask him if the trigger was designed for mil surplus ammo.

As for which Geissele is preferable, you will have to decide for yourself my reccomendations would only be "parroted".

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never said the Timney was commando approved. Only that it was a nice trigger worthy of consideration. I stated my own personal experience with it which includes shooting lots of mil-spec ammo though it and as usual some seem to have a problem with that. If he only said "if" that would pretty much make it a non-issue and not even worthy of disscusion. For someone who doesn't want to dig on anyone's equipment choices you sure seem to be putting a lot of effort into this.

As far as parroting info goes, it's the Internet. I can find a post to back up any point of view I care to take. I'm Going by my own experience not what septic-tank thinks about it. I'm sort of surprised you went there.

From your last statment I can only assume you're taking this personal and will end this here. There are already enough people on this thread that confirm what I've said about the trigger.

Terry

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"I never said the Timney was commando approved."

Then why did you argue when it was suggested it wasn't?

"If he only said "if" that would pretty much make it a non-issue and not even worthy of disscusion."

a direct quote; "My favorite drop in trigger was a tie. I liked my CMC two stage flat trigger as much as any I tried, but the JP unit was right there alongside. All proved to be great units, but if you consider the possibility that the screws that hold the assembly in place for the JP and Timney could back off, you could have a problem. In the case of the Timney there is nothing to stop the pins from falling out should the screws loosen, however a set of KNS pins would remedy the issue should you choose to employ that kind of contingency. The JP does have pins that screw together, so even if you lost the tension of the assembly screws, you could conceivably stay in the race unless more problems arose."

"For someone who doesn't want to dig on anyone's equipment choices you sure seem to be putting a lot of effort into this."

Not anymore.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Flat CMC Trigger in my #1 AR and just wanted to try the Timney in my 2ND one. One other thing i don't like two stage triggers for hunting. I read the article and it was very informative . I may replace the pins for the Timney with the KNS pins just to eliminate a potential problems. I have tried the RR Two Stage Match trigger and it is one great factory trigger but just prefer single stage for the field and calling . The two stage Bushmaster sucked. This is the AR with the CMC Flat Trigger Single Stage.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Safariman, shoot me a PM and maybe I can help you with the Geissele.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jason hasn't worked for Timney for quite some time so the information is rather old.

Timney does address any problem which might or does come up. The screw backing out was never really an issue if they were installed correctly, but was addressed by supplying the trigger with the 4 screws, 2 set screws to be used to set the install screws. The spring ratings were also addressed and they brought out the AR10 for the crappy imported 308 ammo that was hard to ignite.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hound Va,

Sent you the PM. If I could get a Geisselle for less than the national debt would be really cool.

Side note, after getting used to the AWFUL factory trigger DPMS sent with its rifle (Why?) and shoot a couple dozen moly coated rounds down the brand new tube I was able to put three Moly'ed 60gr V-max's into a nice little cloverleaf at 100 yards. This rifle definately warrants a good trigger to see what it will really do!

J
J
I have an ar 10 with a Timney trigger installed. I am having trouble with this trigger set up. It will shoot match ammo with no hiccups but put ball ammo in it and it doesn't hit the primer hard enough to go off. The web site for timney doesn't have a "contact us" option. Does anyone know if they sell stronger hammer springs, or have any advice?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.