Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What is the word on Adams & Bennett barrels - are they good deals or not?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not shot one, but they do not claim (as far as I know) to be superior barrels. Just a cheap, quick & dirty way to make a decent sporter out of an old military rifle. For just a little more, compared to the overall cost of a re-barrel job, you can have a really good barrel installed. In my opinion this is not a good place to cut costs. But then on rifles there really are not any good places to cut costs. Hopefully a few people who have them and have shot them will weigh in here. I am curious as well.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one on my 350 Rigby, which started out as a 35 whelen ackley. It wasn't that accurate a whelen ackley, which I'll blame on the first smith, but since a good smith re-chambered it and re-crowned it, I can't complain with the accuracy. The bores are rough and take much effort to get clean, but the accuracy seems to stay with quite a few rounds down range between cleaning. I'd say it's on par with most factory barrels.

That said, for the effort and expense of building a custom gun, why be content with factory level quality? For not alot more, you can get a match grade barrel, and properly chamberered, it will outshoot a factory gun, and won't take hours to clean.

Quality is comenserate with price, up to you what you want.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
"That said, for the effort and expense of building a custom gun, why be content with factory level quality? For not alot more, you can get a match grade barrel, and properly chamberered, it will outshoot a factory gun, and won't take hours to clean."

I'm mostly concerned with straightness and dimensional accuracy. Roughness isn't a major concern since lapping will take care of most problems. I work on odd things like SMLEs, 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Marlin 336s, surplus Mausers, etc. - rifles that can't justify a premium barrel. So really what I'm looking for is the most bang for my buck (pun intentional).
Bandukwallah

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great barrels for the price. These are made for hunting rifles....sight it in shoot it 5 times a year and put it away. In this application, they are superb. Just don't think you are going to shoot competition with one, cause that's not what they are made for. I have 2 of them on Mauser actions that are sub1/2 moa commonly referred to as a tack driver. Also, the MV's you are used to will increase on these fine barrels. Well worth the price for a hunting rifle. Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I recently had a F14 A&B light weight contour .257 roberts installed on a vz 24 action and I'm very happy with it. BTW Midway has them on sale right now for $79 and they throw in a free Synthetic stock. The stock is just a field grade corelite sporter, but you could always get $40 for it on ebay and now your barrel cost $39 net. One other note. I blued my own A&B barrel with Opho blue gel and it came out fantastic.

Weagle

Last edited by weagle; 12/15/05.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I take it when you say 1903 M-S you mean the military version and not commercial?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I take it when you say 1903 M-S you mean the military version and not commercial?
Affirmative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are rumored to be ER Shaw manufacture

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Adams & Bennetts are ER Shaw seconds, mostly because of their roughness. They shoot very well if you lap them.

MD

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Adams & Bennetts are ER Shaw seconds, mostly because of their roughness. They shoot very well if you lap them.

MD
I don't mind a little "sweat equity". A buddy and I once lapped out a tight 30-06 barrel - went from a .298/306 to .300/.308. Took about 1000 passes with a tight lap. The rifle shot great afterwards.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't know about you guys, but if you shoot your rifles a lot, it becomes a real chore to clean the bores properly if they are rough. I have a 338-06, it is so rough, that after 5 shots, you can push cooper chunks out of the bore with tight patches. This is just unsatisfactory. Not only is it a pain in the ass, but I can't get the velocities the cartridge is capable of generating.

Like a couple of the guys have said, it isn't much more for a premium barrel, and they really out perform the cheaper A&B'S, and Shaws.

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bandukwallah--

I had a similar experience with a .257 Bob A&B barrel. Originally it slugged about .254, but after several hundred passes with a bore brush wrapped with a patch swabbed with 120-grit, it measured .257 and shot very, very well.

It all depends on your budget. I like Liljas and Kriegers but if you can't afford 'em, lapping a cheaper barrel yourself can result in a real shooter.

MD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'Hope that barrel resides on a Mexican Mauser that I've heard about.

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

MD

MD, I'm glad you said that because I had always wondered but hadn't heard it from a reputable source.

Do you know how they define "seconds"? My understanding of "seconds" is they failed to meet some quality standard. If that's the case, E.R. Shaw must have very high percentage of "seconds" given the number of A&B barrels that Midway sells.

Weagle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having an ER Shaw second is like buying a Vega that flunked the quality control test!!! A Shilen is not the lateset and greatest of barrels but they are very good and not that much money! You will have a much nicer finished product. Even older guns in mild calibers can benefit from good tubes.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had both good and not so good A&B barrels. However, the A&Bs that I bought for my Savage switch-barrel project all shoot good groups and the 1 in 8" twist 22-250 barrel is so good with 60 grain Partitions that I'm thinking about stealing it from the Savage clan and installing it on a Remington 788 action.

Jeff

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I too have had some success with A&B?Shaw barrels. I have also had some "unsuccess" with them. I have a 35 Whelen that has a Shaw barrel and shoots like a house on fire, all groups are under an inch with any bullet I put thru it. I was so impressed, I ordered another one in 6.5-06, along with the 338-06, I mentioned earlier. They both were dogs, and it cost me more money to "clean" them up and make um shoot, than if I had bought a good barrel in the first place.

I guess what this boils down to is: EXPERIENCE! I would NOW rather pay a little more, and know I will have a shooter than fiddle with something which MAY OR MAY NOT SHOOT, OR CLEAN EASILY! Another advantage of the Pac-Nor's, Shilen's, etc. Is customer service, which is much better than the Shaws/A&B'S.

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(sic)

I guess what this boils down to is: EXPERIENCE! I would NOW rather pay a little more, and know I will have a shooter than fiddle with something which MAY OR MAY NOT SHOOT, OR CLEAN EASILY! Another advantage of the Pac-Nor's, Shilen's, etc. Is customer service, which is much better than the Shaws/A&B'S.

Jerry

Absolutely, which is why I won't be buying another A&B barrel, my time is getting more and more precious to me, so having a barrel I'll likely have to fiddle with just isn't worth it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That sale was over 4 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 1minute, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.