Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
In the course of trading, I wound up with a Kimber that I can't identify. It's marked Kimber of America,Clackamas,Oregon, and Kimber 84. It's a stainless .223 single-shot with a blue receiver, fluted stainless barrel, no sights, two position safety, and a walnut varmint style stock with nearly a beavertail forearm., starting at about the end of the receiver. The serial # is SSV11XX.
Can anyone ID it based on this description?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mtwoodson; 03/12/10.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can't ID it, but it sounds very nice.

I'll bet it shoots even better than that....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That sounds like a factory Kimber. I had one many years ago, it was a good shooter. If I recall correctly they were made not too long before Kimber of Oregon went into bankruptcy.

Sorry I can't tell you more but it has been a few years back when I had it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtwoodson: I am thinking you have a SSV (Stainless, Singleshot, Varmint Model)?
I have a somewhat similar Rifle in caliber 221 Remington Fireball and in my loading log notes on it I have written down that it was an "Ultra-Varmint" Model.
My Ultra-Varmint is one of the few of this Model I have ever seen.
Kimber made many variations of Rifle Models back when they were produced in Oregon.
Some variations were made for only a short time.
I hope your SSV shoots as well as my "Ultra-Varmint" Kimber of Oregon does!
You might "search" or "google" for a Kimber Collectors Society - there may be such a thing and they could probably answer your inquiry much better than I am able to?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mtwoodson
In the course of trading, I wound up with a Kimber that I can't identify. It's marked Kimber of America, ,Oregon, and Kimber 84. It's a stainless .223 single-shot with a fluted stainless barrel, no sights, two position safety, and a walnut varmint style stock with a distint widened forearm, starting at about the middle of the receiver. The serial # is SSV11XX.
Can anyone ID it based on this description?
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the action is stainless? Mine is blued, with the stainless, fluted barrel. My serial # is SSV13xx. When I bought it, the tag from the funstore said Kimber 84c, though I can find no reference to a "C" model. It is not listed in the Brochure that I have (no single shots at all). I have a buddy who has basically the same rifle, but with lesser wood, and a blued barrel. I've not checked it out though. Did you get a box with yours? I'll have to check mine out, and see if I've any further info....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Kaiser, I'll start over. It is a blued receiver with stainless fluted barrel. I'm guessing varmintguy got it right with Stainless Single shot Varmint, SSV. And that seems to be the only model described with the stainless, fluted barrel and beavertail. Put it all together and its a Kimber 84C SSV No box, not even a cheap $2.00 gun sleeve. And the darned thing sure is pretty. Thanks all.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pictures, pictures, did someone mention pictures?? grin grin Tom.

West By God Virginia
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, this piqued my interest, so I went to the garage and retrieved my rifle's box. It' been a while since I bought the gun and looked over the contents. Insider were the original sales reciept (I'm not the first owner), the laminated test target (shot by S. Polkinshorn at 50 yds with Lot# H270 - 5 shots measuring .300"), and the Owners manual for the Kimber Model 84c Mini-Mauser Bolt Action Sporting Rifle.

Here it is in a photo:

[Linked Image]

The rifle shoots quite well with 50gr Vmax's and 50gr TnT's and W748, though I've never duplicated the test target.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
That one looks like mine.
Nice yote.

Last edited by Mtwoodson; 03/12/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have a Kimber of Oregon. The Kimber of America, made in Yonkers, is an 84M (small action) and is a repeater. The Kimber of America walnut stocked varmint rifles do not have a beavertail. The quality of the Kimber of Oregon guns was up and down, depending on their financial status at the time of manufacture. I have an Kimber of Oregon that is somewhere in the middle - not great quality, but not poor. After some work it shoots quite well.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.