Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I noticed the thread about the best place to hunt deer. I have hunted in a lot of places and I think my favorite is CA, particularily central CA in Monterey County or north in the Trinity National Forest. In Trinity, you have more room than can be imagined. And there is NOBODY out there. Lots of bears as well. Usually, real nice weather as well. Anybody else travel there from out of state specifically to hunt?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's the only good reason to go to CA. I'd not mind chasing blacktails there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I could show you a few other reasons..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They have them everywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Besides the babes..

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't come up with a reason then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd be surprised.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You're right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Pretty parts of the state but I can't stand the people.

IC B3

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the people suck but there are plenty of places to go that allows you to forget about them. Actually, up in those hills, you will find many gun loving, liberal hating folks. The only thing good about liberal women though, is that they are, well compliant smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was born in that neck of the woods but my family moved when I was young. So I never got a chance to hunt there.

A friend has suggested that we get together and do some hunting in Northern CA. Looks like it might be fun.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One if these years I want to get farmiliar with a spot to hunt blacktail. Maybe Sal will mark up a map for me with his hot spots!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Steelhead]Pretty parts of the state but I can't stand the people.

I live in the northern part of the state,Redding area.Lots of hunting and fishing,beautiful place to live.95% of the population lives south of Sacramento.Most people in the north state are very conservative.Lots of good people around here.Many WWII vets and retired military that served this country with honor live here because of the climate.Just had a friend pass last year that won the congress Medal of honor.You know it comes with age not makeing blanket statements.You will get there.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Some of the best hunting in the west is in northern CA - Trinity County area. People that actually own the land up there are primarily cattle ranchers are the same as the folks here in Montana - the best and typically conservative. Those same folks do not claim to belong to the balance of the state.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
[quote=Steelhead]Pretty parts of the state but I can't stand the people.

I live in the northern part of the state,Redding area.Lots of hunting and fishing,beautiful place to live.95% of the population lives south of Sacramento.Most people in the north state are very conservative.Lots of good people around here.Many WWII vets and retired military that served this country with honor live here because of the climate.Just had a friend pass last year that won the congress Medal of honor.You know it comes with age not makeing blanket statements.You will get there.

I know there are good Muslims also but you have to weed through so damn many to get to one that I'd sooner not bother.

Course the above is the problem with California, emotions are worn on their sleeves and they can't figure out it obviously doesn't mean every single [bleep] soul living there. Unfortunately for you, getting brighter don't seem to be in the cards.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It does, in fact, have the best deer hunting in the state if you don't count the limited draw hunts. That's why anyone can buy two tags for alot of it. Ditto for the bear hunting.
But, compared to Nevada or Montana, it can't hold a candle to any of their deer hunting. I've done both. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could fly straight into where I was hunting, I certainly would go.

It looks like beautiful country from the picks you posted Ras.

Nice bear and I like the rifle too. grin

JM

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RAS
I noticed the thread about the best place to hunt deer. I have hunted in a lot of places and I think my favorite is CA, particularily central CA in Monterey County or north in the Trinity National Forest. In Trinity, you have more room than can be imagined. And there is NOBODY out there. Lots of bears as well. Usually, real nice weather as well. Anybody else travel there from out of state specifically to hunt?

RAS,

Where do you hunt in Monterey County? I grew up there but live in San Diego now...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Monterey County is OK, but deer hunting in some areas isn't what it used to be. Too many damn predators and ranches turned into vineyards... Hunting's best on private property, but that can be pricey. Best hunting for book-class blacktails is in the NW part of the state. Mendocino County is usually tops for putting deer into the book. IIRC, Trinity County is second-best. I still hunt hogs like crazy in central Cal, but I do most of my deer hunting out of state.

Although I might be game for a trophy blacktail hunt -- if I can find the right class of deer on the right ranch at the right price... let me know!

By the way, "real nice weather" during many deer seasons often translates into "blazing hot."

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,657
Posts18,533,947
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.