Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive got two 16's that i love but couldnt find ammo for so i started reloading for them. Now one is my predator shotgun and turkey gun. How bout yall?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Like you I couldn't find the ammo for my old SxS I use for rabbits.
So set-up my Mec and use the old fiber wads.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive actually found that when loaded with the right ammo theres not a whole lot you cant do with it, ive got an old stevens single shot for birds and a mossberg bolt action for turkeys and yotes, what reloading guides do you use?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use the lyman guide and also the 16 gauge manual put out by Ballistic Products.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive ordered the one from bpi but it hasnt arrived, right now im using info on hodgdons online deal

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alliant book (free) has data. I use Unique, 1 oz and BP plastic wads. Works fine in my Sauer drilling.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...x&type=2&powderid=3&gauge=16

Last edited by oldman1942; 03/16/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Alliant book (free) has data. I use Unique, 1 oz and BP plastic wads. Works fine in my Sauer drilling.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...x&type=2&powderid=3&gauge=16

Of course you do..............................your just a master of all things aren't you.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"your just a master of all things aren't you."

Your spell checker is still broken, I think you were grasping for "you are"

and yes, 50+ years of handloading has put me way ahead of you and the rest of the brat pack.

Ever seen a Velo Dog? or reloaded for a Match Target Woodsman converted to it? If you wonder why, you might try asking Askins (except he's now dead).

All we seem to hear from you are off topic insulting posts. Whatsamatta tired of shooting elk in feed grounds?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
hello oldballs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah the brat pack stalkers gather to hijack yet another thread.
Go talk to the hat.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Ah the brat pack stalkers gather to hijack yet another thread.
Go talk to the hat.

maybe if you just ignored us, we'd go away.

BTW, what's the terms on the Sauer Drilling?

To the OP, I use unique and either 4 or 6 shot. Sometimes 7/8, sometimes 1oz.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry RWE you and the other bully boys will be cut no slack from me. I don't suffer fools well. Perhaps if YOU stop hijacking threads to attack me, you would not have a problem.

You brats started it and you can end it by acting like adults.

You want to buy the Sauer, trot you butt over to Gunbroker and bid on it.

"To the OP, I use unique and either 4 or 6 shot. Sometimes 7/8, sometimes 1oz." must be an echo in here.....(GRIN)

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This thread is worth reviving. I reload for a Russian Tula sxs 16 gauge hammer gun. My favorite 16 load is the standard 1 oz. of #6s at 1165 fps, which I duplicate with 2-3/4" Cheddite plastic hulls, Gualandi 1621 wads, PB powder and a roll crimp. I also have a cheap, light target load using the same components with 7/8 oz. and a light load of Red Dot.

C
C
Win AA hulls, 1-1/4 oz shot(was lead, now bismuth), SP16 wads, and used to use W571, now use Blue Dot or Unique. Great waterfowl hunting load I use in my old SxS SUHL 16.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cleftwynd
Win AA hulls, 1-1/4 oz shot(was lead, now bismuth), SP16 wads, and used to use W571, now use Blue Dot or Unique. Great waterfowl hunting load I use in my old SxS SUHL 16.

Cleftwynd, just FYI, if you can locate any HS-7, that is the Hodgdon version of WW571.

However the signs I've seen seem to indicate HS-7 is on its way out, (to be replaced with LongShot it would seem. thankfully HS-6 seems it will be around longer, my favorite ball powder in its niche/class/burn-rate)

I'm not a 16ga shooter, but too bad that round continues to be ignored and langwish with no support from gunmakers/ammomakers! I do however have Pacific DL105 dies in 16gauge [in case] a friend or family member ever need them!

C
C
HS-7 was discontinued a while back it seems, hence my switch AGAIN, getting tired of changing powders for my fave 16 load lol.

I'll keep loading the 1-1/4 oz load for my 16 until I am either 6 feet under, or components are so hard to get I can't even make my own shot!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My standard load (for field and target) is 1 oz of shot behind 22.0 grains of Herco. For waterfowl, I use bismuth and either Longshot or SR4756. For heavier applications, I use 1 1/8 oz of shot and blue dot.
I have a variety of hulls: Cheddite, Remington, some old WWAA hulls, Federal (a favorite) and Fiocchi.
I also have a buffered turkey load using 1 1/4 oz of Nickle plated shot and (IIRC) SR4756....still haven't taken a turkey with it yet, but I know it will do the job to 45 yards or so.

Here are a pair of mallards I took with my Remington model 11:
[Linked Image]

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered components. Got a reloading kit today...hoping to cook up a load my model 90 likes for turkey.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My first shotgun was a model 12 16 ga. In fact I still have a different one. In the early 60's, small frame light shotguns were lots easier to carry than any of the 12 ga. guns. Today I have two o/u, two pumps, and a semi auto. I've loaded since the mid 60's and the guns have never let me down. In fact they have been a preference gauge because the way they handle and the point ability.

Many a pheasant, wild chukar and some quail have supplied camp meat for some big hunting crews.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have 2 870's and reload for mine.

Mainly for dove shooting but i have been tinkering with number 1 buckshot loads for it.

It does do as well as my 12 gauge 870.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Two Fox Sterlingworths and a Citori 16 gauge. One ounce of nickel plated #5's or #6's are death on pheasants. Haven't loaded any non toxic shot for waterfowl, but plan to do so soon. The BP 16 gauge manual and the Hodgdon website have about any load you might want. Sure wish they still made 16 gauge AA hulls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheddite hulls are the way to go and one can get them from Graf's & Sons or Ballistic Products just about anytime they are needed.

The one wad for any size load up to 1 oz. is the Downrange DR16. It's designed specifically for the straight walled hulls and has a long crush section to allow the wad to apply the right amount of pressure for good fold crimps.

1 oz. loads in the 16 are nice, but I've been experimenting with 3/4 & 7/8 oz. loads lately and your really not giving up anything in these loads to the 1 oz load in the performance end of things. And you are getting more loads per bag of shot.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Cheddite hulls are the way to go and one can get them from Graf's & Sons or Ballistic Products just about anytime they are needed.

The one wad for any size load up to 1 oz. is the Downrange DR16. It's designed specifically for the straight walled hulls and has a long crush section to allow the wad to apply the right amount of pressure for good fold crimps.

1 oz. loads in the 16 are nice, but I've been experimenting with 3/4 & 7/8 oz. loads lately and your really not giving up anything in these loads to the 1 oz load in the performance end of things. And you are getting more loads per bag of shot.

Cheddite hulls are definately "OK" for what's out there now. If you have access somehow to old Win AA's those are great. Old Active all plastic shells are pretty good if by chance you come across them.

Get on the Bakllistic Products website(www.ballisticproducts.com), and get their 16 gauge load book. Best place for 16 information IMHO. I found their peasant load book lacking in 16 ga loads, and would reccomend "High performance loads for Clays" instead. BPI is big on using overshot wads, and they've now made a believier out of me.

There is a dearth of new information for the 16. You're going to have to do a lot of trial and error.

Good Luck!, Have Fun.

Joe

Eradicate violence; kill all the violent people you know.
T
T
I do like the Cheddite hulls and the BP wads for 1 oz or even 7/8 oz target loads. I have found a coupla cases of Fiocchi target 8 shot and saved the hulls these work well for reloading also. The other hulls I use are Remmington and Winchester promotinal loads such as light game stuff. Hogdon Long shot and 1 1/16 oz loads have been doing the trick on Dakota upland out of my CSMC RBL 16 for quite some time now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.