Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#3899520 03/15/10
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I just purchased the new Benelli MR1. Let me start out by stating it is not a replacement for any well made assault rifle or battle rifle. It could be, but it would need some major changes to the receiver to even be considered. I don't think Benelli is touting it as an assault rifle anyway. It comes with a 5 shot magazine, and skitters under all laws designed to ban or outlaw the typical assault rifle. As far as I know it is legal in all 50 states as is. One good thing- it accepts standard AR15 magazines. Benelli is calling it the perfect home defense rifle. Maybe they have an argument there, but it really won�t do anything an AR15 won�t do.
After breaking it down and cleaning it, I took it to the range, and here are my opinions. First of all, fit and finish are outstanding. Clean lines like a well made sports car. Everything mates perfectly. Disassembly and assembly aren�t that bad, but the AR15 is much quicker and easier. Quality of internals is flawless. Trigger is excellent, no creep, breaks clean every time. The model I received has a non-adjustable stock, and for positions other than prone, standing or sitting at a bench, length of pull might be a little long for a lot of folks (meaning if you�re in a weird position, say shooting across your body, it is awkward). There is an adjustable stock available, but I�ve not been able to find one. Maybe parts may become more available in the future (I hope so as I have $1100.00 invested in this little beauty). It�s accurate. I was shooting cheap ammo called Hot Shot, 55 gn FMJ, made in Korea. If you can find this stuff it�s not bad. I shot for the most part 1 MOA with an occasional flier. I also shot 55 gn Hornady VMax which grouped a little better. In total I put 250 rounds down range, and no FTF, FTE, FTanything. It functioned perfectly.
It�s remarkably smooth. Comparing this rifle with an AR15 is like a gas engine compared to a dielel. I drive a diesel, so I�m not putting diesels or AR15s down. But it is really smooth, and as a result, recoil is less. Trigger is excellent, no creep, breaks clean every time. I was really happy with it on the bench.
I slapped on a 2.5 to 10X NightForce scope mounted on Burris see thru high rings, and was able to sight perfectly well with the ghost ring sights that come mounted to the Benelli. Good thing too, as there is no changing what�s provided.
I broke it down when I got home, and it was clean. A little residue on the bolt face, but other than that really clean. Chamber was pristine. The ARGO system really does its job. I�m anxious to tune some loads to this rifle to see what it can really do accuracy wise.
I mentioned the receiver, and the problem I had with it. Essentially, there is a 1/4� slot for the bolt handle to slide thru during cycling. When the bolt is fully forward, there is about a 2 �� slot for dirt, grass, mud or anything else small enough to fit in that space to get behind the bolt and prevent the action from functioning. This is a serious problem if you are crawling through sand in Afghanistan, or the mud of Mississippi. If you drop this baby in the dirt on the bolt side of the rifle, it�s going to take you 20 minutes to break it down and clean it out.
I like it for what it is, an accurate, well made rifle. If you are going into battle, or just want the versatility of being able to change calibers, sights, trigger groups, and all the things an AR can do, it�s not for you.

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it�s not for you.

Ok.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
confusedFirst off, welcome to the campfire but don't expect to feel the love for the Benelli MR1 on this forum.
A very good and honest report and I wish you well with you new weapon.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Translated to english, the MR1 may be fine, but the [bleep] that first reported it, is just that.... and rubbed folks the wrong way.

Honest report from you which I like to see. No gun I"ve seen yet has all plus and no negative....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds interesting, and I think your assessment is correct about it�s suitability as a military weapon. Time and time again over the decades, the US has used sporting arms in various roles in the military and most often they were disappointed. The M40 in Vietnam worked okay, but eventually proved to be insufficient for long term use. The M70 in Korea and Vietnam, pretty much the same story. Various sporting shotguns that were pressed into military service had varying degrees of success. Probably the most famous sporting arm pressed into military use is the Winchester 1897 shotgun, which is the most proven military shotgun in existence.

The Benelli MR1 is a quasi-military adaptation of a sporting shotgun; and it sounds like it may be pretty good. But it�s not a military weapon.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all welcome. Be aware there is a SMALL group of know-it-alls on here who I have named the brat pack. They think it is THEIR site and God help anyone who does not Genuflect to them.
I was the evil one who introduced the MR-1, pointing out the obvious superiority of the ARGO gas system to the "self puking" AR system. The reaction was about the same had I slandered their mothers.
The ARGO system is also used on the R-1 rifle (they hate that too) and the USMC M1014 shotgun (which they have nothing to say about).
None of them own or have shot any of the above. They don't like it because I do...simple as that.
Since you own one, you are aware of the potential shortcomings insofar as dirt goes. IF anyone planned to use it in a military application, that could be easily fixed.
You are getting heat from bully boys who know nothing about any of the three Benelli weapons that use the ARGO system, have probably not read and of the field tests performed by real experts with real weapons. It all comes down to they hate my guts because they can't push me around. If I said an M-1 was a good rifle, they would find some excuse to slander it.
Suggest you save your pinkies as you will get nothing but schiet about the MR-1.

Feel free to PM me as I have some information on optics and magazines you may fine useful.

Here's my evil R-1 270 WSM with a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 that will only shoot 3/4 moa groups....they really hate it even more
than the MR-1 (also pictured). They keep me LAFFIN!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like the looks of the MR1 better than the R1 for sure.

Still haven't found a puking AR that has given a problem.... so once again you have a cure for a non existant problem.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and again oldman1942 rambles........I must be part of the brat pack....

Hey oldman how did that sale work out on the Marlin 270?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee if the puking AR is no problem why is EVERYONE coming out with piston systems?????hmmmmmm......

EH you are a charter member (as you are on SH). As for the Marlin sale....out of my hands now, Secret Service handles counterfeiting. (GRIN)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Gee if the puking AR is no problem why is EVERYONE coming out with piston systems?????hmmmmmm......

EH you are a charter member (as you are on SH). As for the Marlin sale....out of my hands now, Secret Service handles counterfeiting. (GRIN)
PERCEIVED weakness, and a REAL market created by the perceived market.

Look, there have been no less than 5 programs to replace the M16 and none of them have. The last two have all included so called �piston� systems, or gas systems based on the AR-18 design. In every case, the so called �self puking� system turned out to be more reliable. In the few cases where something else did work better, it was not deemed better enough to warrant a change. Whether we like it or not, the AR�s gas system works.

There is a perception that the AR will just kill itself; this is not true. It was true for a few months in 1968 when the wrong propellant was used, but it hasn�t been the case since then. The AR requires more lubrication due to the increased heat on the bolt carrier during sustained fire, that�s about it.

I just laugh at those spending thousands buying piston systems when they can have a real Colt�s AR 15 for much less. While these piston systems may look good on paper, they have not been tested in the real world of military service. Let�s remember that in the real world of military service, the M1 Garand, M14, AK, FAL and G3 were all initially failures, because it took military service to point out the weak points, usually in the manufacturing process, rather than the design itself. NOTHING trumps military development. Not some piston AR or even the ARGO system. When it has been proven in general military service by a major military organization, then I�ll be interested. Until then, it�s an interesting curiosity.

Even if you covered up the op-rod slot in the receiver, you just can�t expect it to out-perform a rifle that has had 40 years of military development. Until it has been given the ultimate test, they don�t even know if they have the metallurgy right in every part (believe it or not, this is a major part of weapon development).

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Only a charter member? I want to be grand poobah! You funny old man on the Secret Service or are you really that stupid? But you are on TR! crazy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just another spam troll. First post and he gives a review on his "new rifle".

Sam......

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
NMScout308- Nice review, thanks for taking the time to post it.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep oldman, I try not to stoop real low but if you are to stupid to realize the piston drive is only another sales gimmick, then I do feel sorry for you.

Its pretty simple, the market was somewhat saturated and the sales were not that brisk so you come up with an "improvement" and then start hyping how bad the old ones (that you used to hawk and sell) are such junk so that you can strip money out of peoples pockets again.

We see it all the time with remakes of cartridges etc.....

Its a shame that so many folks buy into it, but something has to keep the free market turning I guess. Folks pay overpriced for goods, and for things they don't need or can't use. Or think they need.

There are many car salesman in this world. The more intelligent folks work their own issues out and know what they want and need, and have no use for car salesmen.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Actually I've posted before in the hunting rifle forum, but my membership expired and had to re-sign up. The reason I posted was I saw the thread by the Old Man, and thought I'd add another perspective. Hopefully, my post will help someone out there who's thinking of buying one of these decide weather or not it's for them. I think the Benelli is a fine rifle for coyotes, ground hogs, and home defense, but as a tactial weapon no. Not versital enough, and not designed for it. Plus, I already know parts are going to be tough to come by, and you can't buy directly from Benelli. I can tell you it's fun to shoot. One of these days I'll probably get another tactical rifle, probably in .223 or .308.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin, you may be right, but while facts are nice, perceptions are all that counts.
Fact remains Benelli has never ever built a bad gun of any type.
Some make not like the style, but they work just great.

FYI the ARGO was well proven in USMC tests, they didn't adopt it because our military likes to buy foreign made guns. They bought it because it was the best.

While I like and respect my ARs (FOUR) they are big heavy clubs that my R-1 blows away when it comes to field handling.

My 12 pound DPMS LR 260 won't do a thing my 270 WSM R-1 will not except weigh a lot more and hold more shells (illegal for big game hunting).

The MR-1 as every Benelli EVER made is a fine gun as the actual test in G&A done by real people with a real rifle said. NOTE" real people, real rifle...not a bunch of hot air by those who have never even seen one in the flesh.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Continues to amaze me that folks buy what they don't need. But that keeps the world spinning. I've yet to see the need for a benelli shotgun for ducks, having seen my 11-87 have a perfect track record IE no failures, even after being dunked a few times, yet seeing 2 benellis break in one season in the duck blind.

Sure both will break, but since both will fail, I see no reason to pay for the name.

Same thing goes for the AR.

Now if you get off topic and start talking hunting guns vs ARs the benelli may have a place, but I generally defer to my bolt guns at that point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NMScout308
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Actually I've posted before in the hunting rifle forum, but my membership expired and had to re-sign up. The reason I posted was I saw the thread by the Old Man, and thought I'd add another perspective. Hopefully, my post will help someone out there who's thinking of buying one of these decide weather or not it's for them. I think the Benelli is a fine rifle for coyotes, ground hogs, and home defense, but as a tactial weapon no. Not versital enough, and not designed for it. Plus, I already know parts are going to be tough to come by, and you can't buy directly from Benelli. I can tell you it's fun to shoot. One of these days I'll probably get another tactical rifle, probably in .223 or .308.

like I said..............

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like you said what? Your nose is on your avatar.

You and the rest the the wannabe experts DNS about this rifle so do us who do a favor and put a sock in your pie hole.

As for an 11-87 matching a Benelli.... I'm busting a gut. Suppose it was part of some vast plot that the Marines didn't even test that POS?????

The last mil-spec semi auto Remington made was the model 11 and that was a Browning design.

I warned you NM308, they will stalk you like their chasing their free cheese.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like you said what? Your nose is on your avatar.

You and the rest the the wannabe experts DNS about this rifle so do us who do a favor and put a sock in your pie hole.

As for an 11-87 matching a Benelli.... I'm busting a gut. Suppose it was part of some vast plot that the Marines didn't even test that POS?????

The last mil-spec semi auto Remington made was the model 11 and that was a Browning design.

I warned you NM308, they will stalk you like their they're chasing their free cheese.

[Linked Image]

You still have not answered .............and who were you giving spelling/grammar lessons too a while back? Corrected that for you dumbass.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.