Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dusty and I had a blast on the youth hunt this weekend.

I haven't been hearing any gobbling the past couple of weekends, so we decided to start Saturday morning in an area that usually produces. One tom sounded off a few times before light in the distance, but after daylight he never gobbled again. We decided to hit a few good areas, but never heard another bird.

Around 8am we decided to try a food plot I saw several birds in back in January. As we neared the plot, we spotted a bruiser tom, but he was entertaining a large flock of hens and wouldn't pay me a bit of attention. We waited until they went over a hill, then set up in the edge of the plot. 3 jakes came by to check things out, but the big tom and his lovely ladies left the scene. Around 10 we decided to try another spot as well as get some scouting in since it had rained the day before. About 10:30 we were driving down a dirt road and saw some fresh gobbler tracks coming out of a gas well sight and decided to give it a try. I knew the area was thick, but there was a small trail leading to a hardwood ridge and obviously one tom had been in the area. As soon as we hit the small trail I found some scratching, so I let out a few cutts and was imediately answered by what sounded awful, sort of like a jake trying to gobble. I told Dusty it was just a jake, but the morning was coming to an end and we should give him a try. We set up on the edge of the trail as the bird was in the hardwoods and I didn't want to risk blowing him out. I gave him some sweet talk and a little scratching in the leaves for a bit. A few minutes later I hit him with some cutting and alittle more scratching, then shut up. All of the sudden I spotted him to our right slipping through the brush around 40yds. I'm wispering to Dusty trying to get him locked on the bird, but he couldn't find him in the thick brush. As the tom got closer he went through a tiny opening and I spotted his beard. I told Dusty "He's a longbeard!" Dusty was busy trying to find him, but still hadn't spotted him and that rascal was getting close! About that time he shook the woods with a gobble, so Dusty knew the general direction of him, but from his angle was still having a time spotting him. I noticed Dusty's shooting sticks were way too high for where the tom was going to be, so I eased my hand over when I thought he couldn't see us and buried the right leg. He spotted the movement of course and putted, but I had to get his rest right. I thought it was over, but hit him with some soft yelps and he turned around smile Dusty still hadn't spotted him and I'm freaking out because I knew it was now or never. I told Dusty he better shoot, but he still couldn't see him from his angle. I said "Look right down my boots, 20yards!" About the time I said that the tom took a couple steps, Dusty zoned in, and dirt rolled that rascal! As soon as I mentioned my boots he saw his head move into a small opening and let him have it. The high fives began and Dusty was on cloud 9. I love it!!!!!!

I let him use my 1187 SM with the Fast Fire and some 3" Winchester lead 6s. He loved the sight and said it was so much easier to get on them quickly than using the regular bead.

18-3/4lbs, 9-3/4" beard, and 7/8" spurs:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The pics came out alittle blurry as I'd left the focus on close up when I was taking pics of patterns last weekend.

One of those lucky hunts in a place I never would've thought to try, but heck, I love getting lucky.

Ya'll have a good one,

loder

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story! Congratulations to the hunter and the guide.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on a Great Hunt and thanks for sharing.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats,great job by both of you!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.