Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JasonB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend that is looking in to the Shangri-La 3 for family camping and he is trying to get an idea of exactly how the 60 sq. ft is laid out and/or deciding if the 5 person model would be better. For summer, weekend length trip use is it a legit 3 person comfortable shelter or would the occupants feel stacked like wood inside?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd personally go with a 5. I figure if a tarp shelter isn't roomy and comfortable it might not be worth it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The SL3 is really a one man tent, with lots of room for crap.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I haven't seen the 5, I own the 3 and I agree with Dan's description. The extra headroom in the 5 would be a bonus as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For three occupants, go with the 5.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Jason,
I just got the 5 and don't have as much experience as the guys above but you cannot go by the footprint on these tipis. The catenary design creates less room around the perimeter. The 5 will be good for 2 big guys, a stove and all gear

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
JasonB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kind of what I was afraid of, especially after I couldn't get foot print dimensions off of Golite. Thanks a bunch guys and I will pass along.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got the 5 and for 3 people I would not go any smaller. The 5 has enough room for 3 guys and gear with out a stove.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Spent a week in New Zealand hunting tahr out of a SL-4+. It is now called an SL-5 but is the same size at 90 square feet. Great for 2 men and gear with a Ti Goat small cylinder stove. We squeezed 4 in to sit and warm up by the stove but it was cozy. For 3 people I would definitly get the SL-5. They are very lightweight for the square footage. The only disadvantage of a larger size tipi is finding a level space large enough to contain the footprint. The weight difference between the 3 and 5 is of little consequence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've done 3 guys with stove in the SL4/5. Gear was outside, and it was a little cramped. Doable, but cramped. Better with 2 plus gear. Given the space to weight ratio differences, I'm not sure what the point of the SL3 is even for solo use. For an extra half a pound, you get 50% more floor space with the SL4/5. I guess if you're worried about keeping a smaller shelter warmer with just the body heat of one guy the SL3 makes some sense.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for conversation sake the new SL5 is a whole different shape then the old SL4. The 4 only has 4 side where as the 5 has 5. Its laid out much better for sleeping arrangements and a much better use of the space.

The way the door is on the 5 also makes sort of a nice vestibule area for gear and/or cooking.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenai, have you seen the shape differences in person? When the SL5 came out I couldn't figure out what the differences were. I actually got on GoLite's chat support line and tried to pin them down on the differences. The person I was chatting with didn't seem to have the answers close at hand. Finally they came back with the information that the two models were the same, the only difference being the new eyelid vent over the door on the SL5, and the "nest", if you choose to use one. The picture of the SL5 sure makes it look like it has the same 4 sided footprint of the SL4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea I have the new SL5. Its a 5 sided structure. I looked into both pretty heavy and the easyest way to tell is look at the differences in the floors. The 4 only has 4 sides and the 5 has 5.

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting. You'd think, looking at the footprint of the SL4, that the best way to house 3 people is one along each side wall and one along the back wall. In actual practice, you end up offsetting the second and third guys so you end up with something more like a triangle inside of the square footprint. Sounds like the SL5 footprint might be more conducive to housing 3 people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That makes sense. I think in the 5 the best layout is each person on there own side against the wall. That still leaves room for gear by the door. I have only set it up twice so no actual sleeping has been done. Probably going to set it up this weekend with gear in it so I can find the best place to put the stove.

SH08
JasonB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by evanhill
I actually got on GoLite's chat support line and tried to pin them down on the differences. The person I was chatting with didn't seem to have the answers close at hand. Finally they came back with the information that the two models were the same,

Didn't know they had chat support. My e-mail request for a plan view with dimensions just got the response, " No, we do not have any additional views of the shelters. Please let me
know if you need any other information." I guess I could have asked how they figured out it was 60sq. ft.? confused
Not nearly as good as a few years ago when I asked for details on a poncho lean-to pic I saw on their website and the owner sent back a multi paragraph response telling me how that pic was of his poncho, info on the trip he used it on, how he pitched it, why he pitched it that way, when he wouldn't pitch it that way, and how else he used it. Very enthusiastic. smile

JasonB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by evanhill
We've done 3 guys with stove in the SL4/5. Gear was outside, and it was a little cramped. Doable, but cramped. Better with 2 plus gear. Given the space to weight ratio differences, I'm not sure what the point of the SL3 is even for solo use. For an extra half a pound, you get 50% more floor space with the SL4/5. I guess if you're worried about keeping a smaller shelter warmer with just the body heat of one guy the SL3 makes some sense.

The 5 sounds about perfect for my buddies needs for 1 avg. size guy, 1 avg. size female, and an 8 year old for very fair weather short term trips. Harsher weather would likely be fewer people so the resulting space would be handy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't comment on the SL5.

Here's an SL3.
[Linked Image]

I exchanged it for an SL4 and couldn't be happier. The SL3 would've been a tight fit for two people and a stove. The SL4 had room for two people, all our gear, stove, and firewood for the night.

Pardon the mess...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
JasonB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wish tent companies would take pics like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. Even diagrams of a footprint can be very deceiving because they don't address the pitch of the walls. It's hard to tell from the pic of the SL3, but you'd be hard pressed to not bump the walls with head and feet getting in and out of your bag, regardless of how it's placed. (Assuming you're fitting two people and a stove)

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 22 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,210
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.