Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Anybody ever owned or tried shot a freedom arms revolver?
I own a couple of 3 screw rugers.
Once handled a STI texican.

How do they compare?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it was me I would check the number if pieces in the hammer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Freedom Arms revolvers are top-notch. I don't know anything about STI, but an average FA will trump about any stock Ruger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned a Premier grade .454 Freedom Arms for the past 15 years. While Ruger's are well made and I like em, the FA is far superior. It had better be too, as the price is 3-5 times as expensive as a Ruger!!

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
+1

I own a premier grade model 83 in 454 Casull. A fine weapon. My Ruger does not hold a candle to it in either accuracy or quality of construction. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own the Freedom Arms in 454 and it is the best well made single action i have owned and fitted much better than my Rugers. The are not cheap but worth the cost if you have the funds to spare.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
By the time you invest money in a Ruger to make it all it can be, you could've had a Freedom Arms. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oregon45
By the time you invest money in a Ruger to make it all it can be, you could've had a Freedom Arms. grin

I believe you may be right on that statement but I still like my Rugers.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Why is the gun so common in 454?

I own a smith 17 - 2 and 29 - 2.
The feel of quality is in the trigger, action, closing the cylinder. Even the sound.

I expect the FA to be a notch even better.
And unlike the smiths built like a hammer.

Please if you can describe what makes the FA single action better...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because the 454 was what it was designed for.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am not a gunsmith. But I will explain the best I can. I believe they call the process "line boring". They actually put the cylinder in the revolver then drill the cylinder. So they are aligning the cylinder up perfectly with the bore of the revolver. This is just one of the custom features they do when manufacturing the revolvers. You are basically buying a custom revolver. They are even a few steps above the Performance Center S&W's.

The 454 was their flagship cartridge. that is why so many 454's.

I had a Field Grade 454. It was a real dandy. 100 yard+ shooter with no problems.

Overall they are just a well made piece of American engineering.

The Ruger revolvers are also good revolvers. But you are not really comparing apples to apples. You are comparing custom manufacturing to mass production. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Line-bore chambering is accomplished by chambering each chamber in exact line with the bore, as the cylinder is locked as rigidly as it will be when the revolver is shot. The lock-up is achieved using the revolver�s own components. A slow process to be sure, but it does produce the most accurate revolver.
You are right, when you buy a Freedom Arms you are buying a custom revolver. No fair comparison when you compare them to the Ruger.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've never handled a FA Revolver, but I hope I get to own one some day. Question about their micarta grips - are they big enough for a person with a normal sized hand to fit all their fingers, including their pinkie, on the grip? Or are they like Ruger's SA grips?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Didn't they split off from North American Arms? For a while, they were both making nearly identical guns, too.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Model 97's and several Rugers. I like the Rugers a bunch, but the FA's are just built like a swiss bank vault. Extremely tight tolerance control, top notch materials and strong design. I bought one of them new, and it still had the prussian blue in the cylinder notch cutouts, from where they fitted it up.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I miss my FA Casull 454 cry sold it years ago when we had major medical bills to pay. The was without a doubt the finest revolver I ever owned.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What is the size difference between a 97 and a 83?

Like a blackhawk to a super blackhawk?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I'll jump in here..your size comparison analogy is as good as any..

Ive handled a number of Freedom Arms, and especially like the model 97s..

I personally regard their revolvers as the finest American Made Firearm Ive ever seen...JMHO..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 83 is their original heavy duty frame and the 97 is more the size of a Colt SAA....but built MUCH stouter.

I had a 6" 83 in .454. Ended up selling it when I realized it was starting to damage my wrists and right elbow...and I wasn't even running "full" loads. About the time I decided to sell it someone on GunsAmerica put an identical one up for sale in .41 Magnum. The barrel had even been Mag-Na-Ported. As soon as the .41 was in hand the .454 was gone. The gun is a Premier Model with black Micarta grips. Didn't like the ramp front sight so I had Clement Custom Guns make a two bar Keith long range front sight blade....now it is perfect.

If you think the .454 can't hurt you, email John Tiffin some time. I emailed with him several years ago and he told me what the years of shooting these heavies has done to his hands, wrists and elbows...no thanks...

As to the quality..you just have to shoot one to understand. I call them Swiss Tanks....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by McInnis
I've never handled a FA Revolver, but I hope I get to own one some day. Question about their micarta grips - are they big enough for a person with a normal sized hand to fit all their fingers, including their pinkie, on the grip? Or are they like Ruger's SA grips?

The gripframe on an 83 is a little longer than a Super Blackhawk. You get a full 4-finger grip on the gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 222Sako, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.