Campfire Regular
T
BTW, I'm not a Ford hater at all.
I hope they get it right this time.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swift
Didn't Titans have some original issues?

Are they fixed?

I read a posting on Titan Spot that the brakes have been upgraded, the rear ends including 4 pinion spyder gear, a newly designed exhaust manifold and front differential.

Titan Spot

When mine gets close to 36,000 miles I'll buy a Nissan extended warranty...just in case. The Titan is a big, beefy, powerful truck. Check out an SE with the Value Package. All kinds of nice options.

Did I mention $4,000 in rebates? Consumer reports claims average reliability and reccommends them.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swift
If only I could afford 36K$$ plus.

Don't let the MSRP scare you on the Titan (If you like them) I negotiated $3,000 off the MSRP and then took the $4,000 rebate off. Saved $7,000. Ford sells more F-150's in a month than Nissan sells Titans in a year. That's why the big rebates are there and the dealers are motivated.

Don't know if that helps at all in your situation...good luck truck shopping Swift.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 03/22/10.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've been a Paramedic for over 20 years. 99% of ambulances made are Fords. Since the 6.0 our squads have been in the shop for something at least once a month. A county service I worked for part time had to lemon law a year old squad due to Ford diesel issues.

I'm truck shopping as well and the Titan has always had my interest. As far as big 3 1/2 tons. I'm thinking Chevy this time. Then again I can't shake the Tacoma or FJ (even though its not a truck)!! crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didnt say if you wanted fullsize? After driving a ford deisel for 8 years, I went with a 06 tacoma crew cab when I no longer needed the bigger rig for hauling. I liked it so much after I totalled it and had the chance to do it over again, I bought an 07 tacoma crew cab. Long bed with a canopy, for me its the perfect hunting rig. I really like the size. But I dont tow a heavy trailer or anything either.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look around. Try a diesel. After driving one for 6yrs, I wouldn't get another gas pickup. And if you're ok with buying used, that's even better....I'd say get one a couple yrs old that doesn't have all the emissions crap. My Chev is absolutely the best/most enjoyable truck I've ever had. Dodge guys think theirs is the one, same with Ford guys. Just drive all three and see which you like the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In WY Fords are called "Powerpokes" because if you try and haul a six horse slant over Teton pass, you'll be in 1st (or fried) at the top.

Cummins rules, EOS !

S
S
If you want a real truck stick with American. If you want a glorified car with a truck body go japanese. Ask any Cummins owner and get a true opinion. I have tried Toy,Nissan, Ford and the wife had a Chevy nothing was as good as my current Dodge 2500 propelled by Cumins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking for a gasser with a crew cab, right now no one can beat Fords rebates and price options. I just went through the search for a pick up when dumping the Tundra. You commented that $36,000 is too much $$ for a truck. You can buy a brand new F-150 CC for a heck of a lot less money than that. Even here where prices are ridiculous and theres no competition, I drove away in a brand new F-150 Crew cab with probably more added options than most truck guys would want for a whopping $32,000. I assure you from what I have been reading on Ford Forums, that you could probably drive away in the same truck as mine or a better equipped one in lower America for about $28-29 thousand. GM's deals just werent that sweet compared to Fords.And the Dodge dealer is on crack! With a little homework and persistence, right now you can save close to $10,000 off the sticker of a new F-150, no one else can touch that with current specials. Unless you put 25-30 thousand miles a year on a truck, or must tow some really heavy trailers regularly, dont let these guys sway you towards a diesel. I have had two diesels and they just plain are a pain in the azz unless you need em. They stink (literally), they cost more to maintain and operate, and with the few amount of miles you put on a rig, theres just no benefit for you.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=AlaskaCub] With a little homework and persistence, right now you can save close to $10,000 off the sticker of a new F-150, no one else can touch that with current specials.[quote]

Really? Find that amazing. So the New Dodge Rams that we are selling $8700 to $10,200 off sticker are just the figment of may imagination?

You can get a VERY nice equipped Ram CrewCab, 4x4, Hemi with what I'll bet is more equipment than your Ford for LESS than $30K. I'm not bashing your Ford, as I know they are decent trucks. However, you are wrong as to the deals that only Ford is giving.

Hemi

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might be right Hemi, just stating my recent truck buying experience. In my area Dodge does not have those kind of deals going on, orrrrr they have the sticker prices marked up so high that no rebate in the world can make them look appealing. Most guys who buy new Dodges up here (at least the ones that I know that are smart) fly down to Idaho and buy em from Dave Smith and then drive em back. Our local Dodge dealership has a pretty bad rep, from how much they ask for the trucks, to their inability to repair em.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will tell you that a buddy of mine recently bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 w/ a Hemi for his wife while down in Anchorage for the weekend, and now he doesn't want to drive his 08 Tundra anymore! He loves that new Dodge, but I would expect him too, he paid over $40,000, they seen him coming from a mile away!....grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The dodge dealer around here are either not doing a good job advertising, or they aren't giving the rebates. I stopped to look at an 08 F-150 they had on the lot. It was next to a new Hemi ram, and I didn't see any word of a rebate, or good financing, nothing like that.

Didn't stick around either though, they wanted $32K for a used f-150 w/42,000 mi.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to go Dodge, check out Dave Smith's for the best deals

http://www.davesmith.com/

I was able to get my '06 2500 rams cummins for $32k, that was $8k off the sticker. It was a base model truck, which is just fine because the accessories are the things that crap out. I can't imagine paying more than $25k for a 1/2 ton truck.

So far I like the ram, it's a solid axle 4X4 truck, manually shifted transfer case. Even though it's a quad cab and not a true crew cab the cab is decent size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy of mine from Delta Junction got a Diesel Mega Crew with a 6 1/2 ft box back in 08 from Dave Smith. He saved over $10,000 from buying locally here in Fairbanks. I wanna say his truck cost him $36,000 and its got pretty much everything minus leather and TV's. He pulled a trailer back from Seattle for a guy which covered his diesel expenses and he made it back here in like 3 days. If I was buying a Dodge w/ a Diesel, Dave Snith is very hard to beat!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[bleep] Dave Smith Motors. We beat Dave Smith ALL THE TIME.

Sorry for the rant. I will give him this. His telephone sales people are very good at convincing consumers that nobody else can do what they do in the ways of discount. Story is, yes EVERY dealer can do what he does. We choose high volume over high profit too. The thing that irks me over dealers like him, is they do nothing for the brand but whore it out. They bring in buyers from all around sell em and forget them. There is no "AFTER THE SALE SERVICE" they have to be concerned with when their customer is 500 miles away. They leave that up to the local dealer to take care of. I can understand a local dealer putting a Dave Smith customer on the back burner while taking care of "one of theirs". Heck, I do it, but as a customer of mine you can expect us to do what it takes to get your vehicle in as fast as possible.
Personally I believe in supporting your local economy and buy where you live for EVERYTHING you can. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to "keep your local retailers honest" and if they are willing to be competitive you should buy from them.
Rant over.

Hemi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I will tell you that a buddy of mine recently bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 w/ a Hemi for his wife while down in Anchorage for the weekend, and now he doesn't want to drive his 08 Tundra anymore! He loves that new Dodge, but I would expect him too, he paid over $40,000, they seen him coming from a mile away!....grin

You can dress those trucks out pretty well and if you accessorize them of course you can get even higher. My guess is that he had a trade in and the dealer just left the price on the truck where it was and over-allowed for his trade (showed him more money for his trade than what they were actually putting in it). Some people get so wrapped up in what they get for their trade that is all they are concerend with and if you show them "real numbers" they get all bent out of shape for what they are getting for their trade even though the difference number would be the same. The "games", as you guys call it, that us dealers "play" are usually to try and figure out what kind of buyer the consumer is i.e. trade difference, trade in, apr, discount etc. Show a trade buyer too much discount and not enough for the trade and you loose them. A reason why one price stores have mostly dissapeared and did not fair that well in most markets.
IF, he REALLY paid $40K for his 1/2 ton- Well, I'm glad he likes it smile

Hemi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hemi
[bleep] Dave Smith Motors. We beat Dave Smith ALL THE TIME.

Sorry for the rant. I will give him this. His telephone sales people are very good at convincing consumers that nobody else can do what they do in the ways of discount. Story is, yes EVERY dealer can do what he does. We choose high volume over high profit too. The thing that irks me over dealers like him, is they do nothing for the brand but whore it out. They bring in buyers from all around sell em and forget them. There is no "AFTER THE SALE SERVICE" they have to be concerned with when their customer is 500 miles away. They leave that up to the local dealer to take care of. I can understand a local dealer putting a Dave Smith customer on the back burner while taking care of "one of theirs". Heck, I do it, but as a customer of mine you can expect us to do what it takes to get your vehicle in as fast as possible.
Personally I believe in supporting your local economy and buy where you live for EVERYTHING you can. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to "keep your local retailers honest" and if they are willing to be competitive you should buy from them.
Rant over.

Hemi

I worked for the local Dodge dealership years ago ,and you should of seen the chit storm fights that took place between the dealership GM's/owners and Dave Smith customers. The policy in service was.......no Dave Smith vehicle gets fixed before a $%$#&*%$#% customer gets their vehicle fixed! A vehicle with those neon Dave Smith dealership tags would pull up in service and everyone who wrote service would run! In a place with sub zero temps darn near 6 months of the year , service is always booked up, be it warranty repairs or customer pay, you were looking at a customer who was pulling into the service drive that you knew wasn't getting into the shop in the next 2 months, and it was always a warranty issue. Man those were not good times! But I witnessed a heck of a confrontation between the owner of a very large local company who had bought a truck from Dave Smith and the owner of the Dodge dealership here in which the guy went and got his sales paperwork out of his glove box and proceeded to call the dealership owner a [bleep] thief, and that it was businesses like our dealership that was killing the local economy and training people to look elsewhere. I knew the guy pretty well and after the GM/Owner stormed out of service I asked the guy if I could look at the paperwork, and he didn't just save a couple thousand dollars, it was more like $8,000. There should never be that much of a difference in prices IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what its worth. When I was truck shopping in 07, I wanted a crew cab, but hated to give up the bed length. Then I discovered that the Tundra double cab with the 6.5' bed has almost as much back seat as a ford or GM crew cab and has the forward opening doors.

Easy now.....thats quite the stretch there, I just dumped a 07 Double cab and the back seat room between the Ford Crew and the Tundra isn't even close. The difference between the CrewMax and the Ford Crew Cab is much closer to each other. My 12 year old and his buddies always complained that there knees were hitting the backs of the front seats. They were astonished when they got in my new Ford Crew cab. And with the Ford CC's being the only ones that have the rear seats completely fold up and out of the way, the rear cargo area in there is insane big. My Rottie just about got lost back there!...grin

No stretch. The backseat space in a Ford Crew Cab is no where close to that of a Tundra CrewMax. Frankly the Tundra Quad and Ford Crew Cab are closer than the Crew Cab and the CrewMax.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your right, the Tundra Double cab and the Ford Super Crew are very close in size. I havent owned both trucks in the last month, I am talking out of my azz!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 31 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.