Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Hemi
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Worse part about it all is, you buy a new truck and drive it off the lot and it automatically drops a couple thousand in value.

You buying a truck or making and investment? Making an investment..... I gotta bridge you can buy wink

Just saying...... You don't buy vehicle (typically- some may be collectors) for their resale value down the road. One of the reason leasing was so good for people who trade every 2-4 or so years (ok for those that don't understand leasing flame on). But seriously, least amount of money invested in a DEPRECIATING asset.

Hemi
Never said a word about investing in anything. So why does the value drop so significantly once it's driven off the lot? They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing. wink

I totalled a less than one year old tacoma (2006) with 9000 miles on it. Insurance paid out more than I paid new. The used comparable rigs in my area were advertised for a about $1500 more than I paid (factory invoice).

But only with a toyota...

Sean
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too late now, but one of my work trucks is a 2009 F150 CC 6.5 box. If I put the driver's seat all the way back/all the way down (power seat), I feel like a little kid when driving it. As a 6'6" 340 lb. guy, that's an unusual feeling! Back seat is huge, too. I have plenty of room back there.

Sure does suck when trying to park in the local Albertsons, though!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swift
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
Swift,

Do we get to see some pics of the new ride? And did you get the 4.7 or 5.7?

Bimmer

Got the 4.6L. I'll try and get one of the kids to take a pic or two after school and post um.

Some guidance and maybe our computer challenged household can figure this out. (pic posting)

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swift,

Here's a couple of photos of the Titan I bought a month ago...

Dan

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Dantheman; 04/06/10.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Real nice looking Dan!

How's yer gas mileage? So far I've managed to keep a soft foot.

220 Swift still king.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting 14-15 mpg in mixed driving. I've been on one long trip where it approached 18 mpg. It stays pretty close to the 13/17 mpg from the factory sticker.

I drive like an old man with it too unless I need to pass some one...then I let 'er rip. It's a fun truck to drive...it kind of reminds me of my my first car, an old '68 Cougar that I had when I was a kid. Just much more refined. The gas milage isn't much different either!

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good luck with your Tundra! I hope yours works out better for you than mine did for me! If you don't work it too hard I'm sure it will be fine. They are a damn easy on the eyes, I think it's a good looking truck!

I would be easy on the tailgate and not load anything like a 4wheeler on or off of it and pay close attention to the dash, mine sunk down quite a bit. I normally wouldn't buy an extended warranty for a vehicle but if you can get one cheap I'd consider doing it. Toyota didn't want to cover the dash under warranty so I'd pay attention to it and take it in asap if it sinks

Drum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in the market for a truck until yesterday...

The Tundra was never on my list as I know too many people that have had nothing but headaches and problems.

Nissan not the on list either as everyone I've been around squeaks and rattles.

I've never been a fan of Dodge.... unless it's got a Cummings Diesel. I have no need for a diesel...

I've had a love/hate relationship with Chevrolets over the years. The current Suburban I have has had the tire pressure monitor go out twice. The passenger airbag replaced, twice. The air bag light on the dash is back on again.... and of course out of warranty.

Leaves Ford. I had a 4x4 Lariat a few years back. Zero issues.

Ended up buying a 2010 SVT Raptor with the 6.2L

Bad ass Truck! Should be able to go anywhere.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Leaves Ford. I had a 4x4 Lariat a few years back. Zero issues.

Ended up buying a 2010 SVT Raptor with the 6.2L

Bad ass Truck! Should be able to go anywhere.

aaahhh. We need pics of this.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We really do need pictures of that rig.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pics would be nice!

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take a couple quick pics tomorrow morning as I'm taking it in to get the spray in Rhino guard bed liner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just before the rain began this morning...

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
took ya long enough!! grin

I've never seen a white one before, looks awesome man!!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Friggin awesome!

I love the white.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dude... that's sweet.

I'd have never driven a Dodge if Ford had a decent diesel, but I have to say mine has been a pretty decent truck. Pretty hard to complain about the towing, and for what it is, the mileage is great.

Dealerships are an absolute last resort for me, and I'll probably go the rest of my life without buying a brand new vehicle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
Dude... that's sweet.

I'd have never driven a Dodge if Ford had a decent diesel, but I have to say mine has been a pretty decent truck. Pretty hard to complain about the towing, and for what it is, the mileage is great.

Dealerships are an absolute last resort for me, and I'll probably go the rest of my life without buying a brand new vehicle.

My 06 ram w/ cummins should be the last truck I need to buy. 3 1/2 years later and I still get pizzed thinking about the dealership. I too bought the truck, for the cummins, and honestly it's not a bad truck. 4wd is shifted manually from the transfer case, both front and rear end are solid axles, and the cummins is a great engine. Rides rough, but it's a truck, I don't want a pimped out highway ride in a truck, that's what the wife's benz is for.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have not read through the whole thread, but here is my 2cents.

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax, and it has been a great truck. I know that some people have had bad experiences with Tundras, and Toyotas in general, but I have had no problems in the last 2 1/2 years. This is the 5th Toyota I've owned.

With 3 teenagers and one wife, it is completely comfortable to take a road trip, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I have towed a 5000 lb boat, and not known it was back there. I've had 1200 lbs of firewood in the back, and while the bed is only 5 1/2 ft, it's pretty deep. I get around 15 mpg around town, and 18 to 20 mpg on the highway, as long as I keep it under 70mph. And it is ridiculously fast with the 5.7!

I really, really wanted another 3/4 ton diesel (had a 2002 Dodge Cummins - it was making me deaf it was so loud!), and the newer ones are quieter, but the lousy mileage and expense ($42K from Dave Smith motors for a new 2500 at the time) was too much to swallow. I have friends that have a 2008 Dodge 2500 and an 2008 F350, and both struggle to get 11mpg in the city and around 16 on the highway. Unless you tow really big loads, or need big bed capacity, why bother?

For me, I need to haul a family around every day, but only use my bed once a week or so, and tow a few times a month. I would much rather have the extra space in the cab vs. the bed. The truck works in the city (I can park it in most underground parking garages) as well as it does spending a week out on logging roads.

If you want a truck you are going to beat the crap out of, you are probably better off with a 3/4 or 1 ton domestic base model truck. But if you take care of your vehicles, and need space for 6 big people, the Crewmax might work for you.

At the end of the day, you can get a lemon with any new truck. I still think that I have a better chance of a good vehicle with a Toyota than others, and right now with all of the negative hype, you can get a great deal on them.

YMMV

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sweet!

220 Swift still king.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My father trades his GM 1500 crew every year or two, so has had a number of them in the last 10 years or so. They are a very nice truck and as mentioned, get pretty decent mileage for a 4x4. We have consistently gotten 18-20 mpg on the highway. Mileage will start to drop if you do much driving over 70 mph. The 5.3 is a good motor, we do some light towing and it handles it just fine.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.