Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What a great experience to see. Men and women shooting. Families. What a good time. Them guys can shoot. The 500m rams didn't stand a chance. The few people I talked to were more than helpful. I'm hooked. Just need to sell a few things so I can get started.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinA soon to be rabidly addicted convert and I had NOTHING to do with it!!! grin Have ya been dropping the hammer on a big gun lately there mtnfisher???? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Only in my mind - have I dropped the hammer. Need to sell some things before I take the plunge - Can't buy something without selling something.

Will be leaning towards a no-frills Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
Only in my mind - have I dropped the hammer. Need to sell some things before I take the plunge - Can't buy something without selling something.

grinHAAAA! I can really start trouble after all!! grin Prevail on a friend or acquaintance to let ya rip out about 10 rounds from a coal burner!! Teh you will be SOOOO screwed!!! grin I did this to my own brother!! grinSharps 45-110 and it DO recoil just a mite!! grin
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like it recoils pretty good. The tang sight is showing the effects. Don't need any extra push - already leaning. grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Saw that. Interested in a Sharps 45-70. VANimrod's is a Rolling Block in 45-90.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hepburns rule!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In your dreams. Every gun in your gun safe cries itself to sleep at night hoping it will be a 1874 Sharps in the morning when it wakes up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Sharps rifle made the West safe for Colt's and Winchester.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What a great experience to see. Men and women shooting. Families. What a good time. Them guys can shoot. The 500m rams didn't stand a chance. The few people I talked to were more than helpful. I'm hooked. Just need to sell a few things so I can get started.

Mtnfisher,

I am curious, what kind of match did you attend?

NRA BPCR Silhouette??

Last edited by jim62; 03/23/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The first shoot I watched cost me about $3,500.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw that. Interested in a Sharps 45-70. VANimrod's is a Rolling Block in 45-90.

I've got one of each, but mine are both 45-70. 45-90 is a good round, too, especially if you have intentions to shoot long range (beyond 1000 yards) or hunt big, dangerous game. You wouldn't be in a bad position with either an RB or a Sharps.

BTW - 1minute, ya got off cheap . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You may just want to save your self some money and heartburn, save a wee bit longer and get your rifle from C Sharps or Shiloh. The cost for the basic rifle isn't that much greater, the quality speaks for themselves, and should you decide bpcr isn't your game, you won't take the big hit on price with one of the MT built guns that you'll get smacked with one of the Italians.
You may also want to bear in mind a decent set of target quality sights will add another 500$ to the cost of the rifle no matter which brand you settle on.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jim62

Mtnfisher,

I am curious, what kind of match did you attend?

NRA BPCR Silhouette??

Not sure if it was NRA or not. The event sheet had it listed as BPCR Silhoutte? It was at Deep Creek.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
The first shoot I watched cost me about $3,500.

Adding up and that's what the first one will cost me if I do it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Don't plan on any Long range or dangerous game. Like the looks of the Sharps better.

Looking at the Pedersoli Silhouette ($1250) or Pedersoli Business ($1200). Add $550 or so for Sights and that puts me at the price of the Shiloh Business. The concensus was spend the money on good sights - MVA.

Next month headed towards Big Timber and want to stop in and check out Shiloh Sharps and MVA.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you get a Pedersoli, get the Silhouette model. Stay away from the Business model. Far and away the best bet is to get a SHILOH. I have several Pedersolis and several Shilohs. At one time the Pedersoli option made sense because they were significantly less expensive than the Shiloh. Not anymore.

It is a fact that you never see anyone selling their Shiloh to buy a Pedersoli, or a C. Sharps, for that matter. On the other hand...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
If you get a Pedersoli, get the Silhouette model. Stay away from the Business model. Far and away the best bet is to get a SHILOH. I have several Pedersolis and several Shilohs. At one time the Pedersoli option made sense because they were significantly less expensive than the Shiloh. Not anymore.

It is a fact that you never see anyone selling their Shiloh to buy a Pedersoli, or a C. Sharps, for that matter. On the other hand...

Didn't realize C Sharps was also local. Have to throw them into the hat - and pay them a visit.

What the difference between the Pdersoli Silhouette and Business?

Shiloh Sharps Business or Long Range (Like the idea of cheek piece)?

C Sharps - Bridgeport?

Price is a huge factor in choosing. Not interested in shiny, brassy, deluxe wood, engraved, etc. - a Plain Jane 1874 Sharps. Just wants something that shoots good.

Any comments, etc about the above guns would be appreciated. Or any comments in general.

How about barrel lengths? 30, 32, 34?

Thoughts on MVA for sights?

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
In your dreams. Every gun in your gun safe cries itself to sleep at night hoping it will be a 1874 Sharps in the morning when it wakes up.

Somehow in this forum people that aren't in total agreement, are still civil. I, too concur with the above statement and limit myself to Shiloh's or original Sharps. The Shiloh is actually a better made rifle than the original, but there is something about owning/shooting the real thing. Life is too short to hunt/shoot a cheap gun. Start now and save, sell, scrounge and soon enough you can have one or more rifles that you would be proud to put in the safe and take hunting/shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,554
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.