Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't plan on fully retiring. I plan on cruising SE Alaska in a well equipped power troller wearing my body out catching fish to pay the bills, hunting remote areas, and enjoying my last years in peace. Not a bad way to bar hop in SE AK.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fish, hunt, travel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every single day I struggle to decide; shoot, fish or play golf? Some days I have to work; write, mow the lawn, do a little housecleaning, run errands, stock the liquor cabinet, weed the garden - stuff like that.

Other than that, not much, LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could retire today I would be in the full time motorcyle ministry by Monday.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calvin, you are a lucky man. May you live a long life.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The travel part is probably of less concern to me than some others. flying 2 weeks out of the month for work as pretty much taken the luster off of traveling.

I can relate. I much prefer opening a dresser drawer in my bedroom than a suitcase in a hotel in the morning. No place like home.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3 years for me, spend time hunting in BC, fishing in Kona(a drinking village with a fishing problem) and riding the hog in new England in spring and early summer, or do all that in BC...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Was going to be at 62 this summer, but now stretched to 65. Can't wait to get back to hobbies I have had to put on hold raising kids and now almost grandkids. I haven't had my B/W darkroom set up for 20 years, stacks of fly-tying material packed away, along with my watercolors, 3 Honda mini bikes to work on plus one on the way, keep our vintage snowmobiles running. We have a newer 19ft travel trailer plus our place in Oregon, so there will be travel. I do have dibs on Fall every year for steelhead fishing and hunting though. May have to find a part-time job just to rest up.

Perhaps this is why dad says he has worked harder in retirement than the 60 years he spent working for money.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The key to a great retirement is flexibility. When the opportunity for early retirement came when I was 47 I took it with the thought of a few months off and then looking for a new challenge. The Monday after my retirement luncheon I was back at work for a different industry. Oh well. 7 years later I retired again to pursue building my own house. I had worked in construction while going to school and always wanted physically construct my own home on mountain property purchased several years earlier. After that 30 month adventure I was ready to retire. Wrong.

I received a phone call and found myself starting a new division for a Fortune 500 Company. When I was 62 that division was moved to Mexico and I retired again.

I always wanted to hunt Africa and was fortunate enough to hunt the Selous before the prices went nuts.

Spent a lot of time drifting for trout and steelhead when I blew out my shoulder and developed some lower back problems. Had the shoulder fixed by a sports medicine guy, and decided my back was not acceptable. Visited a neurosurgeon, removed some disc pushing on nerve, did the rehab and am back to hiking the hills, chasing the pigs, deer, and elk. When the weather is right I do my best to make life tough on the bass.

My wife and I travel to visit the kids and grand kids several times a year in SoCal and the east coast. We look forward to their visits in the summer for long hours water skiing and just being together as a family. If we are lucky we get the older grand kids alone for a few weeks in the summer just to be sure they get their proper outdoor training, fishing, shooting, nature hikes and all. Did I mention my wife and I have annual passes to Disneyland. We make several trips for a few days as old folks, and have two major trips, one with the SoCal Son and his family and one with east coast Daughter and her family, all on dad of course.

We are fortunate to be able to do these things and know that as we approach 70 things can change rapidly. Keep active, have fun, give thanks for what we have, and look forward to the next day.

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was planning to just relax & enjoy it.............but given the current political rulers & the spread of Communism, that may just be wishful thinking.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I plan to work part time in a gunshop. I did it for a couple of years when consulting work was slow and loved it. Too bad there's no money in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been practicing:

"Hello, and welcome to Walmart."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I made a "life decision" long ago. Men in my family are short lived, I had a heart attack at 31...managed to do well in the market and decided to retire at 37...paid everything off and decided to spend a few years doing what I wanted in the middle of my life, instead of at the end of it.
Went to work 20 hours a week in a gun shop and took off a bunch...Half a dozen trips to Africa, another dozen to Canada, a couple to Alaska, and roaming around Montana hunting and fishing.
Eleven years later the money ran out...back to work full time! shocked

No problemo, at 57 now and no longer able to do alot of what I did in those eleven years...Mere words cannot come close to describing how thankful I am that I did that instead of waiting for I knew not what...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a quite out of the way place where you can just do what ever you want with out somebody telling what to do. I been so damaged by 9/11 and this current down turn that retirement will not be possible for me. That is the breaks. I am looking for a place where I can put a Super Cub type airplane to work and an out of the way place for myself. Fly till I die I guess. Maybe next year with a New Congress.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I am looking for a place where I can put a Super Cub type airplane to work and an out of the way place for myself. Fly till I die I guess.

Get a Norseman or a Beaver and fly the campfire folks around- stuff it to the headliner with moose. I'll be your IA.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Since I was too stupid to get a job working for the state or federal govt, I suppose I'll be working till I fall over.

:>(

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I retired from full time work five year ago at 53. We had purchased 275 acres of very rural property in Southern Oregon as we knew that if we stayed in the Portland metro area I would probably never stop working. I continued working part time for several years and was really getting excited about doing a lot more fishing and hunting. Then I was offered a large exciting project that was to last for one year. Now, two and a half years later I'm trying to shut that project down. I plan to buy a bulldozer to use on our property and have many plans to work outside thinning and improving our tree farm. Part of the fun is to also improve the land from a wildlife perspective. I plan to fully retire by the end of the year. I assume we have enough money, but you can never be sure, espcially with all of the tax changes, etc. Two things have worked to solidify this decision. The first is watching my mom as she slowly slips away from cancer. It really remind us of the need to enjoy life. The second is a growing frustration of seeing over 50% of our income being used to support government run wild. I've decided that I don't want to feed that pig anymore. Everything is paid off, we have a few investments, a big garden and the nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away. I'm heading in the direction that Rocky expressed.

Last edited by logger; 03/26/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am going to be retiring in 3 months at the age of 63. I am going to be hunting, fishing, shooting, and flying as well as yard work, tieing flies, cooking, and traveling around. My worst fear is that I will be bord and have to sit in the easy chair and watch Oprah day in and day out. Yuck.

Rolly
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still have some time left, I'm 31. However, when I retire from my vocational job, I hope to still be serving the Lord in some capacity at church and in the local community.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I plan on working til I die, unless schit turns around in a hurry, getting off the grid might not be an option; when I'm too decrepit and no one will hire me I'll kiss my wife and go for a walk.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, AdamT204, 11 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,956
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.