Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm thinking seriously about a Cooper Mod 57 Classic repeater in 22lr but I know nothing of this rifle other than it's expensive price and I'd love to hear from some guy's that do or have owned one, It looks a lot like a Kimber Mod 82 and I've had several of those over the years even a Super America that had some stunning wood, but I did have ejection issues with one or two...One of those was an 82 Cascade from Oregon and from what I gather I wasn't the only guy to have trouble with these..I'd really like to hear about the accuracy of the Cooper as I'm buying it for IR 50/50 competition........Thanks men........547.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one last year and have been very pleased with it. Accurate, trigger perfect out of the box. I did have an issue with the last round out of the magazine feeding when I used the Winchester subsonic conical bullet and a little tweak of the lip of the magazine on one side fixed it. I have to attribute that to the funny shape of the bullet since it fed everything else well.

Highly recommended.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I should know more in a week or two. I just picked up a Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 22lr. I is showing alot of promise, I just need to pick up a high power optic and build a decent bench before I can tell you how well it actually shoots. Initially I was getting one ragged hole for 5rounds at 50yds, on the bigger side though, and for the most part staying sub-moa at 100yds fairly easy.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I also have a Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 22lr and you will not be disappointed in a Cooper 57.

Mine shoots in one little raged hole at 50 yds. with 3 different ammo types, and the wood on the Coopers makes you proud to carry it.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I've only found these rifles on gunsamerica and gunbroker, they seem to run in the $1325.00 to $1400.00 range, could I do better through My local dealer, he charges Me cost plus 5% but he cant find a supplier for these rifles, maybe he should call Cooper directly.................547.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give Hendershots a call. They were willing to deal a bit on theirs and I paid a couple hundred less than that last year for mine.

http://www.hendershots.net/

7x57Steve also has some connections for Coopers and may have some ideas.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've known folks that got one through their local dealer, but Cooper prefers to sell to their regular stocking dealers. IIRC, the dealer cost was about 25% off retail. I wouldn't order one direct, the wood quality has taken a nose dive on standard rifles of recent manufacture and I'd want to see it before buying it.

Green Top Hunting and Fishing in Glen Allen is/was a stocking dealer.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Men for the help, it's been hard trying to get My hands on one of these things in My part of the country, I'll just have to order one in the blind, Hell most gun shops around here never even heard of a Cooper rifle of any kind. Thanks for the link to Hendershots. One more thing do you guy's know of any problems with these rifle's?.........Thanks again......547.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Might also try to give whittakers guns in Kentucky a call, they are one of the better priced suppliers when it comes to Coopers. i have bought 4 coopers from them so far & have been quite happy.
Downside to whittakers...no pix, you buy it unseen. they will not send photos.

============================================================

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Man, I got a phone number for Whittakers and I'll call em in a few minutes and get a price................547.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Pugs, I recently bought My first Cooper mod 57 Classic, I like the rifle but about half the time it wont feed the last round out of the mag no matter what ammo I use, (it jams)exactly what did you tweak on your magazine? one of the feed lips? I have no experience with Cooper, ya think they might just send Me a whole new magazine? after all these things ain't exactly cheap and for that money I expect flawless function.Thanks..................547.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Pugs, I recently bought My first Cooper mod 57 Classic, I like the rifle but about half the time it wont feed the last round out of the mag no matter what ammo I use, (it jams)exactly what did you tweak on your magazine?

Indeed I was a bit surprised at the malfunction too but I called them and ask if I should mail it back. They said they would be happy to fix it but he suggested before I went to that trouble I simply bent the lip in a tiny little bit on each side of the very front of the magazine. I did so a very little bit, you could hardly tell I did it, and it worked fine with the Super X conicals I like.

I do need to get another magazine for silhouette season and I'll be curious if that one needs tweaked too.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You can try First Stop out in S.D. too. They list there guns on GunsAmerica and have 5 pix of each rifle. They have a lot of Coopers.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Cooper Jackson Hunter in 22lr.and it easily groups five SK Standard Plus into less than 1/2" at 50 yards.It has a very good trigger and feeds everything but CCI very well.The bolt can be quite hard to close with CCI loads,so I don't use them any more.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
"do you guy's know of any problems with these rifle's?........."

Yes - I can't afford more of them.

W
W
Accuracy of the cooper 57 is not a problem.
[Linked Image]
The target on the left is 15 rounds at 25 yds, the one on the right is 10 at 50 yds. These were federal gold metal that were not seperated for rim thickness. Just pulled them out of the box and put them in my LTV. The next target was shot at 100 yds from a very solid bench. They were seperated for rim thickness and and weight.
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture of my 57M LVT. It's got a home for lift.
[Linked Image]
Bill

Last edited by wickerbill; 03/27/10.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Pugs, I'll give it a try, I shot mine a little more yesterday and now it jams the 4th and 5th round out of the mag. I called Cooper and the guy said to send the bolt back because it sounded to him that he needed to loosen something up on the bolt( I can't remember what ) I suggested He send Me a new mag but he wasn't interested which frustrated Me even more, I feel with a rifle in this price range that this guy could have at least acted like he was trying to help Me..............VaHillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yea, I've tried several brands of top notch lr ammo (Lapua Midas +, Lapua Center-X, Federal Ultramatch, Wolf Match Extra) and I'm not really over impressed with this things accuracy either, the factory supplied target was awesome, a one hole group not much larger than a 22 caliber, but so far I have not come close to duplicating this accuracy..............VaHillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Thanks Pugs, I'll give it a try, I shot mine a little more yesterday and now it jams the 4th and 5th round out of the mag. I called Cooper and the guy said to send the bolt back because it sounded to him that he needed to loosen something up on the bolt( I can't remember what )

Interesting. I can't picture issues with the bolt when it doesn't pick up a round out of the mag but what to do I know. I'm waiting for a scope to come back from Leupold to get mine back to the range.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Pugs, I agree, it sounds like a magazine problem to Me too............VaHillbilly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.