Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#39473 05/26/01
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My rifle shoots well with Federal 36 gr. hp, but recently when I went to the store they were out. I bought a brick of the cheap Remington 40gr. 1255fps stuff, I forget now if it was called "Thunderbolt" or "Cyclone." I shot two boxes, and had 2 shots out of every 10 were squib loads! Ten years ago I used to shoot the Remington stuff, and didn't have a problem. Has anyone else had a problem with this ammo?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Youper- I have experienced the same problem with the cheap Remington Wal-Mart ammo. I used it in the Browning Buckmark and it repeatedly had misfires. It would jam the action tight and was very hard to eject the cartridge. I switched to the CCI Minimags and have not had any problems.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've had problems with all of the "big three" promotional loads: Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Yellow Jackets, etc. I also had a bad case of Federal regular "Hi-Power" .22's a while back - the cases split and would spit gas and powder back at me. I've never had any problems with Remington's regular (green & yellow box) .22 LR loads. In fact, that's pretty much all I ever shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My rifle must be the exception to the rule. My Marlin 881 likes the Reminton Thunderbolts way better than Federals or CCI. I've tried all in it and it seems to shoot best when fed Remingtons. The Boy's rifle likes the Federals though. My advice is try a little of everything, and stick with whatever your gun happens to like.<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had some problems with Remington also. I switched to Winchester Power Points and I have not had any problems since. CCI Stingers also have been 100% reliable for me. The 10/22 loves them as does the 22/45.<BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
IC B2

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This particular rifle is a single shot bolt action, so feeding and extraction has not been a problem. I'm just glad I didn't use it in the auto loaders first.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have noticed that Rem ammo has been going downhill for sometime now, but the bad part is that my bolt action shoots the walmart rem golden bullets very accuratly. <BR>As for the misfires, if you put the cartridge back into the chamber so the firing pin hits the rim in a different place, they usually go off. I save all of my misfires and this is the case in 90% of them. This is caused by the ammo machine running too fast (profit) and the priming solution not getting spread evenly about the rim. I have not had any sort of good results with them in my autos however.<BR>As far as Remington ammo in general, I don't buy anything except the golden bullets from walmart. I have seen downright terrible results with all manners of Remington factory ammo lately.

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
By squibs I mean that the cartridges discharged, but the report was light, and the bullets didn't make it all the way to the 200' target. The ones that were normal shot well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The one problem with rem. rimfire loads that i have expericed quite comily is the same as "cs". It seems that they are making the ammo cheaper and not caring about how well it works.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the same problem with the Federal 550 round boxes from Wally World and called Federal, they said ship them back to be checked. I didn't, other boxes shoot fine for practice. Guess someone was having a bad day. -- no<P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youper, years ago I got my kid a mess of Rem. 22 ammo in them milk cartons. Worst stuff I ever used, either the bullet lube, or the wax from the cartons, but it's the only ammo that ever jammed my 1022. After a few dozen rounds they wouldn't eject from his bolt rifle either.<BR>I usually only use Win. Wildcats or better yet, Dynapoints for plinking or targets. I have some white box Rem. target ammo that isn't much better for cycling and none of my rifles will shoot it worth a darn.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shot another box of it, and it wasn't much better. At least all the bullets made it to the target.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I too have had poor results with RP ammo. Not many misfires or squibs but very poor accuracy (in all my 22's) from both the Golden 22's and the Thunderbolts. The Remington green and blue box target ammo has not been very good either. Lots of variation in both weight and rim thickness. Accuracy, even with sorted ammo has been mediocre at best.<P>On the other hand, Federal lightnings have been surprisingly good and inexpensive. And CCI minimags have always given me good accuracy and excellent performance on game. Very few misfires or squibs also. But at $4.00 a box, they are not all that economical.<P>My favorite so far is Eley Tenex, but at about $.23 per round, they are not very economical. But they sure do make my A-bolt shoot! I imagine they would be dandy tree squirrel rounds.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
when I am rolling tin cans,I shoot the cheapest I can get and am not upset when performance is some times lacking. When I hunt, I use the ammo that performs the best in my rifle. I have a hard time complaining about 22 ammo that sells for $9 a brick.

4pwr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I used to shoot 50m matches, we had SK magazine ammo, in 500 rounds cans. If this stuff is available in the USA, go for it. this is standard vel ammo, and accuracy is really excellent. CCI standard, as well as winch T22s, which are more expensive here, go everywhere in comparison.<BR>I got several 100s with them [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<BR>I even shot national championships with SK standard ammo (did this twice, finished 61 and 63 out of 250 selected shooters), they were more accurate in my rifle than some batches of Tenex !!!<BR>Olivier

Age quod agis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Kimber 82C shoots superbly with the OLD Federal 711 standard velocity offering. I understand that when Blount aquired Federal they changed the composition of the 711 load and it went south for some time. They now offer, or did offer, a 711A and 711B. I've yet to try either one as the reports from the serious rimfire shooters have been dismal.<P> I've been shooting Eley Tenex exclusively though I really can't say that it shoots that much tighter than the OLD Federal 711. Which was, in my humble opinion, the finest standard velocity rimfire offering available for the money. May someone accidentally run over the bean counter at Blount who made the decision to change the load;-). <P>Regards, Matt.<P>Btw, I've never had good luck with any of the Remington rimfire fodder. I tried several different loads in my Kimber 82 Government Model with poor results.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If you want to try a good economy 22 round try CCI Blazer. We use this round for practice on Team Top Gun and met. sil shooting. To tell you the truth I can't remmeber ever having a failure. My favorite Hunting round is Remington high speed Long Rifle Hollow Points. Shooting the most difficult Squirrel Rifle target in the world, The infamous Black Death Challenge I use Remington/Eley Extra Match Plus, with this I recently got my fourth max 50, with a five shot group of .180 at twenty five yards. See www.stararchery.net (Top Gun) and down load the target and rules, and try it for your self.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.