-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What would be the best .22 for for a beginner? One of my best friends wants to buy a .22 and thinks his parents will let him. He wants to spend under $150 dollars, so I told him that a Marlin bolt or semi-auto would be a a good choice. I also mentioned the surplus Romanian .22's.<BR> His mother and father might not like the idea of a semi-auto, so the ideal would be a bolt or lever. What would you suggest and why? What would you avoid?<P>Thanks,<BR>Doren<P>P.S. Another quick question. I recieved a Simmons 4x .22 mag scope for my b-day from my parents. When I put it on my Marlin model 60, the rings on it wouldn't tighten all the way to the 3/8" dovetail rail on the gun. there was also a small gap between the rail and bottom of the rings. Did Simmons perhaps make their rings to fit about every gun in the world or something?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For $150,I'd shop for a sound used rifle,of good lineage. That would mean a Remington or Ruger bolt gun.finding one for $150 would be TOUGH though. Semi's are great,and there are few rifles as fun as the 10/22.<P>I like Ruger in both the bolt and semi-auto versions,because they allow room to grow into. One can turn them into amazingly accurate machines,with aftermarket components(stocks,triggers,barrels,etc). The Ruger magazine,is reason enough to buy one of their offerings,they are beyond superb.<P>Regarding your rings,they are the wrong type for your application. The 4x4 rings are for the full sized Weaver type cross slot base(BIG dovetail/Picatinny rail)and won't work on the 3/8" dovetail. Your best bet,is to get 3/8" dovetail compatible rings and use them,as the rings you are trying to use,will not work..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a first rifle I would go with a used Rem. or Win. single shot, although a Ruger 77-22 would be nice, it would cost more than $150. To bad Rem. and Win. don't make single-shots any more. I just traded for one and have less than $100. in it.(got to have a rifle for the grandkids to learn on) They usually go for about $125. around here. Another option would be a Chipmunk 22. About $175. and scaled to fit smaller shooters.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Little Pike,<P>A beginners 22lr rifle should be no semi auto (the most important shot is the first one).<BR>The piece will be either single shot or with a REMOVABLE magazine.<BR>Bolt actions with a wide open receiver (one which enables the shooter to check the action without having to put the rifle on the side) are better.<BR>Another good thing is a security which blocks not only the trigger but also the firing pin.<BR>A good trigger and match grade open sights are also a must. The scope might come later, after all...<BR>with a low budget, You will find all these things on a second hand rifle. The ruger 77/22 is a really good piece, but a bit expensive. Used Brno rifles are cheaper, and probably the best bargain on the market now. <P>I would avoid chinese sticks, I tried once and quickly got rid of it: crappy steel crappy trigger, poor finish, etc.<P>You might try used military training rifles. I had a clip fed remington with a peep sight and heavy barrel, a real tack driver, and so smooth an action... this for a ridiculous amount of cash, and this was in France, not in the USA...<BR>Good luck and shoot straight,<P>olivier

Age quod agis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I have seen some of the European mil surp 22 trainers that are starting to show up I have not shot one. Like any mil surp it would be nice if you could find a batch to choose from. Some are dogs and some look unfired. They are big and heavy for a 22 but they certainly should work and are a deal for the money asked. If you go that route be sure and get an extra magazine if you can.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He could always pick up a Savage mkII.<BR>Price around $100 bucks or so, good little shooters. Marlin is also an option.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering his obvious lack of gun buying experience,the amount of money he has available, and assuming he has no knowledgeable person to take him under his wing and help him, I would go to the neighborhood Walmarts and buy one of the bolt action Marlins and have a trigger job done on it. The used gun route is fine if he has some help or a good local gun shop, otherwise he is asking for a lesson in life at an early age.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
G'day Little Pike,<BR>Have a look on <A HREF="http://www.gunsamerica.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gunsamerica.com</A> <BR>It has a large range of manufacturers listed and you should be able to get an idea of what sort of rifle you can get for your money.<BR>For a beginner I would suggest a Bolt action.<BR>Good luck,<BR>Regards from down under,<BR> Charlie.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Little Pike,<BR> At present I own a slug of .22s. I started my boys with a Marlin single shot but the trigger was so crude that I sold it immediately and bought a Chipmunk. That little rifle is perfect for beginners. I use it in teaching the NRA Rifle course for smaller youths and loan it out to friends for their children. Count of trainees in the last 18 years is high double digits . It has given no trouble...ever! Of all the .22s I own I have to rate it the best/most fun. I own more expensive ones, European, Chinese, Win., Rem., etc., it is still the best and fits in my backpack for rambles. I'm told it is a hoot to watch me shoot it; I'm 6'7" and need a 17" length of pull, at least for shotguns, so it doesn't really fit but when it's "home" I usually grab it first. I think he would be pleased,too, with the rifle. Whatever he chooses, best of luck and I hope he gets lots of fun out of it. <BR>batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but my family went to Mackinac for the weekend, and I've been busy catching up on school ever since. Most probably (hopefully), he will listen to me and get a Remington or Ruger bolt, but Mark is, umm, well, Mark. If he does get a mil surp trainer, I think he would get it from a gun dealer just around the corner that is very helpful and really nice. Thanks for all the input.<BR>Doren

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't overlook the Henry lever rifles, they are about $200 and worth every penny.<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There are still a few used single shots for under $100. Saw one yesterday for $59. at local gun shop. Rossie has a new combo single shot ( 22lr & 410 ) for around $110. in blue and $130. in stainless. You could aways buy a contender for $400. and add some more barrels later in223,30-30, 7-30 waters for deer hunting or 410 .

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
For the price range you listed I'd look for a used remington 581 or a cz scout. Both should be around $150. Also a norinco jw 15 is a great little bruno clone and can sometimes be had for under 100 bucks. I bought one of these and cut it down for my daughter. It doesn't hurt my feelings to take a hacksaw to a $90 gun.
<br>
<br>I also like the bushnell banner .22 rimfire scopes. About 60 bucks and designed for a .22.
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Weagle has the right idea, the CZ scout is perfect. If you can find a 581 Remington or any of the 500 series they will be fine too. A good bolt action is always the best choice for a beginner.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.