Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
All my rifles currently have matte scopes on them...even the stainless ones. I have been contemplating a silver leupold vxII 3X9X40 on my new 300 wby stainles Sub MOA. Thinking it could look sharp...What say ye?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Oh and there is silver/gray webbing in the stock...think that comes into my thoughts as well.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't like the looks of the silver scopes, but matte bases with stainless rings around a matte scope adds a nice contrast.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've tried a couple of Silver scopes on a couple of rifles and just can't like 'em. I always go back to matte mounts and scopes on the SS, regardless of stock. Just personal preference, I guess.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
the only one I have seen was on my cousins 10/22 wood stock stainless with silver scope...doesn't look right....but just sorta picturing it on this stock seems like it could work...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't make the silver scope mistake! It's not worth it. Silvers never match right and it limits you if you need to swap scopes around. Just stick to matte and call it good.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Set up a silver Leupold VX-II 4x12x40 on my son-in-law's T3 Lite, using matte Leupold bases and Signature rings. Does look kinda cool.

However, out in wilds it's somewhat more standout than stainless barrels and actions. Enough so to alarm game? Possibly.

And for that reason, doing it all over again, probably would stick to matte black.

FWIW.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sir_springer; 04/03/10.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Tbaker - while I like your taste in football teams grin, I prefer matte black scopes on everything - no silver, no gloss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few, only one that really looks good is a early 90's Winchester Classic/Stainless. I've got a Leupold 3.5-10 in Leupold Silver Rings.

Not a perfect match, but it does look good. Same rife/set-up was pictured on a few magazine issues from back in that day/age.

Don't have any pics and it's in the back of the safe.

I've got another Leupold on a Ruger Hawkeye All weather and I wish I would have gone matte.

Life is just one damned thing after another
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Higbean
Don't make the silver scope mistake! It's not worth it. Silvers never match right and it limits you if you need to swap scopes around. Just stick to matte and call it good.

Good advice, it is bad enough that "Silver" mounts don't match most SS receivers(unless it is a Sako) and then with a Silver scope you have 3 different "Silver" finishes.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kind of have OCD when it comes to scopes matching the rifle. My 300WSM is stainless/synthetic and has stainless bases,rings, and scope
[Linked Image]
My girlfriends rifle is a ruger hawkeye all weather and has the stainless rings with a matte mikon buckmaster. I like the look of it also. My ruger hawkeye has the OD green hogue stock on it from the factory and i bought a burris FFII tactical just because it matched the stock perfect. Got lucky i guess cuz turned out i love the scope
[Linked Image]

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
that second pic is cloes to what I am picturing....my stock is webbed rather than marbled...but thinking I like it....besides if I don't....then another campfire member might get a good deal on a silver leupold...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I'm much more concerned about function than I am about appearance when it comes to scopes.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of the gun metal grey leupolds on stainless rifles. I like the look.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I guess I'm much more concerned about function than I am about appearance when it comes to scopes.

sorta why I chose the leupold....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My preference is black, mostly because I prefer the aethetics but it's also partly due to a fair amount of scope/rifle juggling.

You only have to please yourself - I'd do what makes YOUR socks go up and down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tend to match to the rifle. My stainless rifles wear silver scopes and rings, gloss for polished blue rifles and matte for matte. That said I'm currently putting together my "beater" Ruger. It's a stainless rifle and will be wearing a matte scope and rings.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
it's not gonna match the rifle.

really depends on whether you want 2 or 3 different colors there.

black + color of the gun = 2 colors

silver scope + different shade of silver rings + different shade of silver gun = 3 colors.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't care for the look. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.