Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by maddog
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
But you can use a .45/70 chambered in a BFR revolver.

Yeah, Indiana has some strange laws. That being said, northern IN. is completely different terrain, than southern IN. Almost like hunting 2 different states. Flat as a table top up north[for the most part], and hills/hollers down south, with a LOT more woodlands. Never really understood the use anything in a handgun vs. not being able to use the same cartride in a rifle.

maddog

It is just political posturing. As long as they can order you to "not" do something you want to do, they are happy. See, it is easy to understand really.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Come on boys, we need some more 45-70 success pics!grin

maddog

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
But you can use a .45/70 chambered in a BFR revolver.

Yeah, Indiana has some strange laws. That being said, northern IN. is completely different terrain, than southern IN. Almost like hunting 2 different states. Flat as a table top up north[for the most part], and hills/hollers down south, with a LOT more woodlands. Never really understood the use anything in a handgun vs. not being able to use the same cartride in a rifle.

maddog

Vandeburg and Posey Counties are as flat as anything up north and its just as open and well-farmed as any other county in IN. Henderson County Ky, just south of these counties and just across the Ohio River is nearly as flat with as many farms. You can use anything you want in the free state of KY. Last I heard, there weren't anymore Ky farmers being shot by deer hunters than in IN. confused

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/02/10.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
HS, spot on! And they say KY. is backward....grin

maddog

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
KY has some wonderful gun laws. I particularly like the one that forbids any person, compnay, corporation or entity the right to infringe on a citizens (resident,s) rights to own and possess a firearm.

The good part is where this crime is dictated as requiring court support and the issuance of damages for infringment upon these rights anywhere in the commonwealth.

Democracy, I love it.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maddog -

It took me a while, but here's a few pictures of some animals I took with a 45-70.

Here's a buffalo that was shot at the EL Ranch out of Lufkin, TX. It was shot with a Black Dawge 450 grain vintage cartridge load at 1240 fps. Complete pass through, one shot kill:
[Linked Image]

This is a sow I shot with a buddy of mine on his ranch near Walnut Springs, TX. The load I used was 72 grains of FFg with a 511 grain paper patched bullet:
[Linked Image]

Aoudad shot also with 45-70 Sharps in Del Rio, TX. He was quartering away and the bullet went in behind his last rib and came out of his chest. Again, complete pass through with over 30 inches of penetration. Same load as above:
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Well I'll be....

You know there might be some that regret that you've now posted images.....

I ain't one of 'em!!

Very nice.

nate

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started to post some pics of some of the African animals, but they were taken with a 45-110, and I didn't want to compromise the thread topic.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
grin

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
sharpsguy, go ahead and compromise the thread! I'd love to see the african pics! The above pics are very nice.grin

maddog

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just say you loaded the 110 down to .45/70 data...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
coldcase--That's the problem. You can't load a 45-110 down with black powder and have it work properly. You can load a 45-70 up and down with black, and at the upper end of the velocity envelope with black powder, the 45-70 will penetrate with the 45-110 using cast lead bullets.

I'm planning to go back to South Africa in October, and will carry a 45-70 this trip. I could have made any shot in the previous two safaris with the 45-70 and gotten the same penetration just as easily as I did with the 45-110. They are both loaded with the very same bullets.

I will try to get some African pictures posted this afternoon.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
sharpsguy, can't wait to see the african pics.

maddog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sharpsguy, can't wait to see the african pics.

maddog

Alright maddog, here you go...

These animals were all taken with a 45-110 Sharps, hunting on the Eastern Cape of South Africa with Africa Bushveld Safaris.

Cape Kudu lasered at 302 yards. He was hit with a 520 grain Govt. bullet over 106 grains of FFg. Velocity was 1367 fps - one shot kill with complete pass through and knocked the animal off of his feet:
[Linked Image]

Steenbok taken at 49 yards offhand. He was hit a 511 grain paper patched bullet over 106 grains of FFg, 1382 fps. What's funny is that he had two 30 caliber bullet holes in his ears from previous shots at him. Horn length was 5 1/8". This is probably my best trophy! If you don't believe that, just look at the smile on the PH's face:
[Linked Image]

Black wildebeest taken at 225 yards. Same powder charge as above, except using a Govt. bullet. The shot broke both of his front shoulders. The bullet threw up dirt on the other side after passing all the way through.
[Linked Image]

Burchell's zebra taken at 96 yards with a 511 grain paper patched bullet over 106 grains of FFg. I shot him on a diagonal that I was told would prevent complete pass through. That was not the case. One shot kill with complete pass through:
[Linked Image]

Springbok lasered at 526 yards. He was also taken with the 511 grain paper patched load in a pretty stiff wind. This was the longest shot that Africa Bushveld Safaris has ever let client take in their 11 years in business. This verifies that market hunters in the old West were taking antelope and deer at extreme ranges with the Sharps rifle.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharpsguy; 04/04/10.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
sharpsguy, outstanding!! grin Love the pics! Maybe ya need to start a thread on " why the 45-110", or Why not a Sharps!

Myhats off to you!

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
sharpsguy, in another vein, while I can't afford a sharps rifle, at this time, I have toyed with getting [don' laugh] a H&R Buffalo classic, reaming the thrat to accept longer bullets, and doing some playing there. I haven't shot cast before, but your pics, as well as other stories, have me wanting to play in that arena, although at a much more modest cost. Again really nice pics you posted.

maddog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
maddog--Thanks for the flowers. I have had a good run with the 45-110, and it is a caliber that strikes up a conversation for you no matter where or what you hunt with it. I have owned one or more of them since about 2000 and got caught up in the hype of the 45-110 to a certain extent myself.

But when I really, and I mean really caught on to what was going on, I realized that the 45-70 will reach and kill just as far and just as effectively as the 45-110 IF YOU LOAD THE 45-70 CORRECTLY. In fact, at ranges INSIDE of 100 yards, the 45-70 will out penetrate the 45-110 in many cases. Again, I want to reiterate that you must load the 45-70 correctly. EITHER CARTRIDGE will shoot all the way through both shoulders of an American bison at 1000 yards, if you can hit it.

The 45-70 does not have the sex appeal of the 45-110, to be sure. But it is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and is generally more accurate than the 45-110.

I do like a Sharps over any other rifle. They are wonderfully accurate on game. They have both an extractor AND an ejector that is automatic if you need it. They can also be had with a really good set trigger. But most of all, they have those wonderful barrel sights that let you reach anything you can see well enough to get a good sight picture on, if you know how to use them.

Having said that, my 1895 Cowboy Marlin 45-70 runs the Sharps a close second. It is really accurate, and there are some 480 and 500 grain bullets that will cycle through the 1895, and it holds nine rounds. I have equipped mine with a ladder barrel sight, and 400 yards is not a problem with my Marlin. I do wish it had a set trigger, though, as this limits it somewhat for really long shots, if you need to take them.

Still, I can't see myself hunting with anything but a Sharps. They have been too good to me too long.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well I jut have to chime in on this. I'm here to admit to eating crow regarding these rifles and calibers. While I still do not believe the 45/70 to be an effective Dangerous Game caliber, and I would not hunt DG with one, I'm here to tell you that if you want to hunt with them, they are every bit as effective as Sharpsguy says they are. I was given a beautiful Sharps in 45-110 by our good friend and forumite Evil Twin as a retirement gift. I had great misginvings about being able to shoot this rifle effectively, but Sharpsguy invited me to his spread out in Texas and in ONE DAY he had me smacking the metal ram at 500 yards, NO PROBLEM! I've practiced lots with my rifle and today I shot a comfortable 2" group at 200 yards using both 520gr grease bullets and 545gr Paper Patch bullets here at the range. In two weeks I leave for an Axis/hog hunt in Texas and the Sharps is going with me. Someday I plan to take it to Africa and whack a Cape Buffalo with one. I'm that confident it will do it, but I will have my PH back me up as I don't think single shots should be used for DG if hunting alone. Oh yeah, I just ordered myself a "suped up" Sharps in 45/90 from Shiloh. I LOVE these rifles. Once you start shooting and hunting with them they are FUN. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go get 'em, Jorge!

Please post pictures when you get back.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
sharpsguy- where does one get a ladder sight for a marlin cowboy?

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 300_savage, AB2506, 14 invisible), 4,148 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.