Well my order is placed.

Freedom Arms 97
357 mag
5-1/2" barrel
honed action
trigger set to 3-1/2 lbs
overtravel screw
micarta grips

Now I just have to sit back and wait for about four months.

That sounds like it will be a sweet one. Let us see pics when it arrives. 4 months will go by fast if you can keep from thinking about it every single day like I would.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few pics of the Rugers (one 45 Colt and one 44 Mag) and FA .475 Linebaugh. If I had to start from scratch, I'd have the same .475 Linebaugh FA and another FA 454 Casull with a 45 Colt cylinder instead of the 2 Rugers. The 44 Mag just doesn't do it for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I could have sworn I saw in this thread somebody said the Ruger cylinder is longer than the FA. Probably read it wrong and don't know if it applied to the Model 83, but here is a pic alongside my Ruger Bisley.

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think they were talking about the 97 cylinder being shorter than the Blackhawk.

VERY nice guns you have there. I have the same front sight on my FA .41 Magnum...FAs should put that one on instead of that stupid hard to see ramp.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven
A few pics of the Rugers (one 45 Colt and one 44 Mag) and FA .475 Linebaugh. If I had to start from scratch, I'd have the same .475 Linebaugh FA and another FA 454 Casull with a 45 Colt cylinder instead of the 2 Rugers. The 44 Mag just doesn't do it for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I could have sworn I saw in this thread somebody said the Ruger cylinder is longer than the FA. Probably read it wrong and don't know if it applied to the Model 83, but here is a pic alongside my Ruger Bisley.

[Linked Image]

Your photos show very well the different style of grip from the rugers to the FA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
You can get them on the Gun Auctions like GunBroker.com or like I got mine. My Doctor buddy at the Hospital i worked at order the Model 93 , had it Ported, and Sling Stud installed, he then proceeded to shoot it about 12 times and that is all it took. He beeped my beeper and ask me to meet him in the Doctor Lounge. I did and he said i have a present for you and hand me the 454 and three boxes of factory ammo and said take this dam thing it is yours because i know you can handle it , kick to dam much for me and that is how i got mine. Didn't cost me nothing . Pays to have good friend with more money than they need.

I suspect that's why so many wind up slightly used for sale grin I've owned .44 mags for years - the first time I shot a 454, with 300's at 1600 fps, it was an eye opening experience!

They are beautifully made; I would still like to have one smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our guns are expected to be built in early June,but Tikka3006 and myself already have serial numbers for our model 97s.Now we just sit back and wait.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
I think they were talking about the 97 cylinder being shorter than the Blackhawk.

VERY nice guns you have there. I have the same front sight on my FA .41 Magnum...FAs should put that one on instead of that stupid hard to see ramp.

Bob

I had a reading of about 1.625 OAL on the 83 cylinder. Recessed rims? The Ruger 45 is 1.700, plus the .050 rim is 1.750, the custom ones I have to check.

The 83 was first right wasn't it? Haven't built revolvers for a while. I'll checks facts better next time.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The FA M83 cylinder on my .454 is 1.795" and it is recessed for cartridge rims reducing OAL a bit. The M97 (medium frame) cyl is approx 1.625 and is also recessed for rims.

Here's a couple of FA97s - both in .45 Colt. First is a 4 1/4" and the second is a 3 1/2" round butt with fluted cyl. A couple of light weight, easily packable power houses. They both handle recoil extremely well and are easy and fun to shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

I had a reading of about 1.625 OAL on the 83 cylinder. Recessed rims? The Ruger 45 is 1.700, plus the .050 rim is 1.750, the custom ones I have to check.

The 83 was first right wasn't it? Haven't built revolvers for a while. I'll checks facts better next time.

Ahhhh. Wasn't thinking about the recessed rims. But still the FA should be longer as you calculated. But not by much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Ahhhh. Wasn't thinking about the recessed rims. But still the FA should be longer as you calculated. But not by much.

I had to go to the web to get lengths, I'm at work and don't own a FA.Now I have to figure out where I got those lengths.........

Damn Quarter Bore People.............

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read the article wrong..........the 97 has the 1.625 length cylinder, on a medium frame...........

Mongo sorry.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A good buddy owns an FA97 in .45 Colt. It is easily the highest quality revolver he has, including a 3-screw Ruger massaged by a name 'smith. If you want quality, you want Freedom Arms. My only fuss about the piece is the relatively short cylinder. A fair selection of popular .45 bullets exceed the SAAMI spec overall length, and have to be deep-seated to be used. Slugs designed to remain within the SAAMI-spec overall length work just fine. That FA97 is a gem, and the grip frame fits my paw very well.

"It is, I think, going to be a very harsh and unpleasant kind of business...and will, I think, require an extremely harsh and unpleasant kind of man to see to it." [Martha McCandles (Maureen O'Hara) speaking of Jacob McCandles (John Wayne) in "Big Jake"]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Our guns are expected to be built in early June,but Tikka3006 and myself already have serial numbers for our model 97s.Now we just sit back and wait.

What are the legal uses for a handgun in Canada? Is any type of hunting allowed or is it strictly for target ranges?

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by paul105
The FA M83 cylinder on my .454 is 1.795" and it is recessed for cartridge rims reducing OAL a bit. The M97 (medium frame) cyl is approx 1.625 and is also recessed for rims.

Here's a couple of FA97s - both in .45 Colt. First is a 4 1/4" and the second is a 3 1/2" round butt with fluted cyl. A couple of light weight, easily packable power houses. They both handle recoil extremely well and are easy and fun to shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul

Can you perceive a difference in recoil with the round butt?[b][/b]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are the legal uses for a handgun in Canada? Is any type of hunting allowed or is it strictly for target ranges?

Target use only in Canada.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by tikka3006

Can you perceive a difference in recoil with the round butt?[b][/b]

Not sure how to answer that. For example, the 4 �� with standard grip frame is slightly less than 3 oz heavier than the 3 �� (on a 33 oz gun, that�s almost 10 percent). Also, the the extra �� of barrel mitigates recoil a bit. I was out shooting this afternoon. The load was a 300gr cast bullet over 21 gr of H110. My impression was that the 4 �� standard grip frame recoiled a bit less than the smaller gun. I wouldn�t necessarily attribute this to the difference in grip frames. I like both. You really have to personally handle these guns to appreciate how they feel in your hand. The 3 �� Round Butt was part of a package deal � I wouldn�t have bought it by itself. As it turns out, it is one of my favorite handguns. Not sure how well the round butt would work on anything over 4 ��. I have a 5 �� .357 that I don�t think would feel right to me with the Round Butt grip frame. If I had only one M97, it would be the standard grip frame model (in fact in would be the 4 �� shown above). Nothing feels more comfortable to me than the M97 platform (grip/grip frame, frame size, balance � it just works for me).

Now, with all that said � what works for me may or may not work for you or someone else (it is very likely it won�t). There are just too many variables to say how a grip/grip frame will feel in someone else�s hand.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, after a couple of weeks, I finally got a photo of mine:

[Linked Image]

The one on the left is a 5-1/2" 44 special I bought new; the one on the right is a 4-1/4" 357 mag I bought used. I had a clone of the 44 in 45 Colt, but it bit my knuckle too much so it went down the road. If I did it all over again, I would buy one - a 4-1/4" 44 special with micarta grips. But, I like both of these very much.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by tominboise
Well, after a couple of weeks, I finally got a photo of mine:

[Linked Image]

The one on the left is a 5-1/2" 44 special I bought new; the one on the right is a 4-1/4" 357 mag I bought used. I had a clone of the 44 in 45 Colt, but it bit my knuckle too much so it went down the road. If I did it all over again, I would buy one - a 4-1/4" 44 special with micarta grips. But, I like both of these very much.

Tom

What do you like better about the micarta grips?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikka3006

What do you like better about the micarta grips?

I like the looks of them, and they are slicker in my hand. Just the way they feel. Don't get me wrong, the rosewood are really nice, too.

Regards,

Tom
F
F
Originally Posted by tominboise
If I could do it all over again and only have one, I would opt for a 4-1/4" octagon 44 special, with the round butt and micarta grip options.

Cool forum, glad I stumbled onto this place.

I have a question regarding the octagon barrels on the Freedom Arms revolvers. Is there any advantage to getting this option besides aesthetics? Thx

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.