Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Mohawk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks everyone. I am going to change out the screws and try running the factory rings for awhile. The rifle is a gift to my dad and he has time and a place where he can shoot it a bunch between now and next hunting season. If they slip I'll have enough saved to change them before then.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rings themselves although a bit cheesy were fine and held the scope no problem. The screws suck. They are too soft and I managed to strip the head of one with the supplied allen wrench. I had to cut a slot with a Dremel on cut-off wheel to break it loose.

I replaced them with a set of Warnes last fall before moose season. My next Tikka will have a set of Warnes before it's ever shot.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
holy freakin' thread resurrection batman! ok had to get that outta the way since i did resurrect this zombie thread instead of starting a new one. anywho does anybody know off hand what the thread pitch is for the tikka t3 factory ring clamps,not the ring caps but the dovetail clamp? i noticed as y'all have said they are pretty soft and rounded the allen head off at 25in/lb. actually prolly not even 25in/lb as the torque driver never clicked over. just wanted a heads up before bumbling around at lowes as time is tight this afternoon.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know the thread/pitch numbers for the screws, they are Metric. I just took a cap screw and a cross-screw with me and matched them up at the store, that way I got the right thread/pitch and length - no guessing.
Ace Hardware was where I got mine, I have never looked for them at Lowes but I have noticed they have the same tyhpe of bin cabinets so they probably have them too.
About $2 worth of screws and you are set.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
thanks drover. yeah i'm using the factory tikka t3 rings on a couple cz-527 americans to get the scope lower and to utilize what i have in the scope ring box that i thought i'd never use.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Glad I could help - I have used the factorysupplied rings on all of my T-3's with no issues outside of the soft allen screws, never a problem with them.

As well thought out as the T-3 is I have a theory on the soft allen screws - I suspect that Tikka may have deliberately supplied soft screws to keep folks from stripping out the threads on the rings. Nothing to prove that but it seems suspect to me that they got everything else right on the rifle except for that one item.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have three T3s all with factory rings, a .270W, a .308 and a 6.5CM, I don’t tighten them Farmer Tight, and I’ve never had a problem.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I have three T3s all with factory rings, a .270W, a .308 and a 6.5CM, I don’t tighten them Farmer Tight, and I’ve never had a problem.

I think replacing the screws is worth the $1.50; if nothing else for peace of mind.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well fellas I found the exact screws I needed at Lowe’s and they were metric. Size and thread pitch are M5-.80x16 and they are a Allen/hex button head cap screw exactly like the original one from Tikka. Whether they are harder we will see but I had to give it a shot. Oh and to add I got enough for (3) rifles including a set of stainless for a whopping $4.00 out the door.
Thanks to all that contributed,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Deleted

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cut to the chase and do it right.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice stick. Didn’t think you were a Tikka fan though. You must be trying the fin rifle out to see if it suits. This project is for a coupla CZ-527 Americans in 17 hornet and 204 ruger. For my tikkas I go a lil more out than aluminum rings.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never been a Teeker Fan,but have likely shot more rounds through the fhuqking things than most Teeker Fans.(grin)

On the 527,I'd still want 1913 interface and good rings,because ring spacing is your scope's BEST fhuqking friend.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

A friends 308 with 6-20 scope did this in 80 some odd rounds . Hits went wonky and then it was found .

I’m using factory rings on a 270 t3 with a 4-16 .. not a main rifle and I’ve only shot 40 rounds so time will tell .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe the 17 hornet and 204 ruger won’t kick so hard as to pull a steel pin thru the aluminum rings. If so I’ll back up and punt.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not always recoil.

I've puked alotta schit on Rimfires and 223/223AI's.

Hint...............

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Point taken stick.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.