Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I love gun shows...I get deals usually, if not I dont buy...simple enough.

A few shows ago I purchased a Leupold 1.5x5 Vari x 3 for $130.00

It wouldnt hold a group but I sent it in to Leupold and a few weeks later it arrived back as good as new....*free*

Like I say I usually get good deals.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The price of pet rocks and candles are skyrocketing at gunshows to....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well, I've said this before just to illustrate what a vendor faces. Not to defend outrageous pricing when it happens, but to explain why things aren't at give-away prices.

You drive 1,000 miles at $3 a gallon, spend $100 a night for a room, $50 a day for food and $100 for each table - and then sit there and listen to people beech because they paid $10 to get in. Some yahoo says your prices are too high just before he clumsily drops one of your guns on its scope, shrugs and walks away.

Everything you say may be absolutely true but that does not explain having exorbinant prices on the stuff they're selling at a gunshow.
My local dealer has his expenses as well, like property tax, rent/mortgage, lights, employees and so forth but he would go out of business if his prices were as high as those at a show.
I think many of the folks who sell at shows count on the unwashed masses, attracted by the show, to spend too much money on an item available elsewhere for less.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was at the Gunshow here in Kingsport last weekend . There was a vendor selling some AR Parts. He had a Yankee Hill Gas Block that cost me 52.00 new from Brownell. Retail is about 80.00 on Yankee Hill Web site . I ask what he wanted for it and he said 125.00. I just looked at him and handed it back and walked off. These vendors must think people are really stupid. Another thing, the admission fee to get into the show is now 10.00 per person. I told the girl i could to the theater cheaper. The gun show are now 10% quality merchandise and 90% junk.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
On the side I overheard 2 vendors talking at the last gunshow and one of em said he was charged $750.00 to rent a table.....that if true sounds rediculous.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Are Vendors At Gunshows Thinking???

Maybe they have the PT Barnum plan- You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I've said this before just to illustrate what a vendor faces. Not to defend outrageous pricing when it happens, but to explain why things aren't at give-away prices.

You drive 1,000 miles at $3 a gallon, spend $100 a night for a room, $50 a day for food and $100 for each table - and then sit there and listen to people beech because they paid $10 to get in. Some yahoo says your prices are too high just before he clumsily drops one of your guns on its scope, shrugs and walks away.

That is a pizz poor excuse to justify the outrageous prices at the tables anymore. If you can't get there and put out merchandise at competative and realistic prices, it isn't the fault of the buyers.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've put gun shows on a back burner. They're ENTERTAINMENT any more, the ridiculous prices, the gapers. Once in a while I'll spot something I didn't know I needed, do some quick math in my head and go from there.
I have no sympathy for the gougers. Let them unload and reload their junk after the weekend.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. What I take I want to SELL, and there.

Been looking for a Python, and have seen a few OK deals at gun shows for those. Probably gonna buy one soon now.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I mostly quit going to gunshows several years ago. About once every two years I'll get to rethinking that and decide to ride the 60 miles to Jackson to go to one. After paying the $7 admission charge and it taking all of 20 minutes to walk through to tables looking at the hopelessly overpriced junk I'll leave swearing I'll never come back. About two years later I'll get to wondering if there just might be something worth buying there and repeat the scenario. I honestly haven't found anything worth buying at a gunshow in about 15 years. I guess the internet has taken over and all that's left at the gunshows are those looking to sell a $500 gun for $800 and those selling the made in china replica confererate swords. It's depressing really. I guess most of us still go to them because we remember 20 years ago when they were actually fun and you could spend an enjoyable day there while finding a good deal now and then. Between the admission charge and gas to get there I'm out about $20 bucks to get there. I'd rather spend to $20 on a pizza and six pack of beer, at least I'll get some enjoyment out of the pizza and beer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I go anymore is when I want a brand new pistol. Normally the bigger shows around here will have a few guys with nearly every new handgun made in every caliber/finish combination. I can go there and pick up everyone and look at them. Price is normally right at the same price as gunbroker or as cheap as anywhere else.

I agree a lot of stuff is overpriced but I guarantee a lot of stuff people on this site tag as overpriced will sell to someone....

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I go, realy dont know why anymore, only about 2 shows a year that are any good. I rent a table about every 2 years , just to get rid of ammo and stuff that I dont have a gun for, about 30-45 a table, I sell alot of my stuff, cause I want to get rid of it, Iv had vender come over & bitch, about my Low, Fair prices, I tell them to buy my stuff then charge what they want for it on there table! geting alot harder to find a deal on anything anymore!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Most folks are idiots, I think that sums up either side of the table.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888

Our gunshow's primarily consist of...

Jewelry,snowcones,fudge,raffles,clothing,novelties,antique swords,ect.

You forgot the teapot warmers!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We have a few local dealers who rent tables and they are way lower on prices then the others traveling more than a 100 miles. I mostly go for powder and bullets, but I have been surprised the last couple of times by a rifle on the table. Only form the locals though.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The buuthole will get something passed.
How will he get gun salesman of the year for 2010 if he don't?

If Ignorance is bliss, then why aren't there more
happy people
If The gun was in the hands of the victim,there would be no
murders,robberies or rapes.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Trust me.......there were no vendors that travel more that 80-100 miles for this show.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought they were beef jerky shows. Didn't realize that those were prices on the tags, I thought they were serial numbers.

I was selling a rifle once and one of the slackazz table dealers gave me the "hey boy, come here with that rifle" So I showed it to him and he gives me a lame low ball offer. I told him I'd pass. He proceeds to tell me "lookey here, I ain't gonna buy nothing i cant make no money on..."

I asked him "how is that was my problem?"...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I set up at four Gun Shows a year. All local Sportsman Club shows. (50-75 tables) Most of the mainstream dealers avoid these shows, so they are not too bad. About half of the vendors are just members cleaning out stuff they don't use any more. This is the stuff I go for. I might buy an old obsolete peep sight or set of scope mounts. I recently picked up a NIB Timney trigger for a Husqvana for the princely sum of $40. In the last three shows, I've sold one gun and traded one.

The major gun shows in Michigan are all promoted my one person. The shows are mainly black rifles, handguns, and flea market items. frown I don't bother to go to his shows any more. I went to one the other day by accident. The only Ruger #1 in the show was the one my buddy carried in. Best offer he had was $400 for a 200th Yr 1-B in 98%+ condition with decent wood. I figured that was an insult.

The two better gun shops in the state will sell used guns cheaper over the counter than one can buy at the gun shows. frown Sadly, most are a waste of time.

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the smaller rural shows as well. More affordable stuff and more FUN! Like all gun Shows used to be.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (79S, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 16 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,936
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.