Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's some info on an upcoming scope many of you will be interested in. First of all, don't pay any attention to the reticle. The production reticle was not ready so they stuck this prototype in there just to get a couple built so the optics/mechanics, etc, could be tested. And those tests it passes with flying colors.

The production reticle will be many times as thick such that it is very fast to use on 1X.

As you can see from the pics, it's a TRUE 1X on the low end, so it should be close to red-dot-fast for CQB, both eyes open shooting with the proper reticle. The glass is exceptional, amazingly bright for a 24mm objective and very sharp. There is no distortion or tunnel effect on any power.

The turrets are excellent, with 10 mils per turn you can do anything you'd want to do with an AR and a 4X scope on a single turn of the turret.

I had a chance to take it to the range today. Here are some shots:

I tested on two different AR's:

[Linked Image]

And although it's not exactly the type of rifle this scope is meant for, my 6.5 is the most accurate so it had to get some playtime as well:

[Linked Image]

And it didn't disappoint. Here are two groups from 300 yds, measuring 1.7" and 2.2":

[Linked Image]

Pretty decent for a 4X at that range.

The glass was very impressive. I was actually able to see a couple 22 caliber holes at 100 yds through it. Not many and not very well naturally, but that was pretty impressive for a 4X.

4X at 100 yds:

[Linked Image]

4X at 300 yds:

[Linked Image]

1X:

[Linked Image]

I can't wait to get my hands on one with the new reticle. Other than that, I'm very impressed so far. A couple more beauty shots:

[img]http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/1-4X24/PICT0107.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/1-4X24/PICT0105.JPG[/img]

GB1

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
JonA, now that's what I'm talkin about ! Lol. Really, that's one fine scope; the results speak loudly of it's worth . Looks are one thing, results are the core of it. Can you tell us more? Like how will we find one ? Any other magnifications? Price range?I think you said reticules are going to be different,right? Would also love to know how you posted the great picts ! Charles

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I assume that's SWFA Super Sniper scope?

Is that a knob for an illuminated reticle?

What round/load are the other circle dots set for or will the new reticle be void of them since it has turrets as well?

Any idea of a price yet?

That's good shooting BTW, reguardless of scope.

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by charlie358
Like how will we find one ? Any other magnifications? Price range?

They should be available from the manufacturer fairly soon. I don't know exactly when though.

Yes, they have recently added a 3-9X40 FFP and a fixed 10X42 HD to their lineup. These are a big step up in quality (and price) from their original fixed 10X, 16X, and 20X--those are still available though.

Would also love to know how you posted the great picts ! Charles

Good lighting. smile
Originally Posted by TWR
I assume that's SWFA Super Sniper scope?

Yup.

Is that a knob for an illuminated reticle?

Yup.

[Linked Image]

The illumination works very nicely and is daytime bright--though not as bright as a Short Dot, etc. The new reticle should make it brighter but it's hard to say how much. Regardless the reticle will be sized such that it is fast to use on 1X even without illumination.
What round/load are the other circle dots set for or will the new reticle be void of them since it has turrets as well?

They were for M855 ball. Of course, just because the BDC is there doesn't mean you have to use it. wink In the end to keep everybody happy I think they'll offer two reticles, one with a BDC and one with simple mil lines for those bothered by the BDC.

Any idea of a price yet?

I'd expect a bit more than the current 3-9 SS. Making the optics of a true 1X, not to mention doing it extremely well, is not easy or cheap. This is meant to compete with the high end 1-4's but at a much better price.

That's good shooting BTW, reguardless of scope.

Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice, may have to put one of those on my wish list.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Ok, so good lighting.That's not hard with today's cameras. What camera? How did you post the pics here? What pixil setting? And, what 6.5 ? THat's a fine group for 300 yds !Charles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30mm tube or 1" ? A ball park price would be nice.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What is the eye relief on 1X? Positive clicks?

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by charlie358
Ok, so good lighting.That's not hard with today's cameras. What camera? How did you post the pics here? What pixil setting? And, what 6.5 ? THat's a fine group for 300 yds !Charles

It's an old Minolta Dimage, only 3.2 Mp, but it still takes good pics. You post pics here by hosting them somewhere on the internet and using the [img][/img] tags. The rifle is a 6.5 Grendel.
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
30mm tube or 1" ? A ball park price would be nice.

It's a 30mm tube. I can't do any more than speculate on price, but if that'll suffice I'd put it somewhere in the $600-$900 range.
Originally Posted by Grand
What is the eye relief on 1X? Positive clicks?

The clicks are very positive and firm with a very high quality feel to them. In addition to range work I did a multitude of tracking tests with a collimator as I do with all tactical scopes and tracking was perfect.

I haven�t put that much effort into it, but a quick flashlight measure shows the eye relief to be around 4�. For NTCH shooters the Recon X or the SPR-E will probably be best. This scope actually has enough eye relief it would be useable on a hard kicking bolt action.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a 30mm tube. I can't do any more than speculate on price, but if that'll suffice I'd put it somewhere in the $600-$900 range.

Well, if it is in that price range, I think I will stick with the Leupolds in the same power range.
Thanks for the heads up and hopefully it will be a good and durable scope.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, I'll stick with the Leupolds for that kind of dough.

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Be sure you're comparing apples to apples. Leupold's closest competitor to this, the Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 Illum. SPR, goes for $900 and this is a better scope in about every way. A more fair comparison is with the NightForce NXS 1-4x24 NP1/FC2 which runs $1200.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Opinions vary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot.............made in J A pan or here for the same money or a fair bit more...I'll choose here every time.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Opinions vary.

Where have you heard differing opinions? I'd like to hear them as well.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
A lot.............made in J A pan or here for the same money or a fair bit more...I'll choose here every time.

I agree, the NF 1-4X24 is an outstanding scope and will come marked "Made in the USA" but it costs quite a bit more. US Optics makes a couple very nice 1-4X's also Made in the USA but again, they're more expensive. All the rest of the top scopes are made overseas. I highly encourage buying those scopes for those who want to buy US products.

If you were talking about the Leupold, I think you will be disappointed when you look for the "Made in the USA" label.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's a lot of $$ for a "super sniper" scope. Leupold's (while not perfect) scopes have been proven all over the world in some pretty ugly places and conditions.

This is just me talking, but the name "super sniper" causes me to immediately be inclined to disregard it. Much like I would disregard anything with a name like "Dark Ops" or "Extreme Ammo".

I don't buy hype.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
So what's your connection to SS or SWFA?

My opinion is from my own experience looking through the SS line, it didn't impress me much and unless they've improved greatly, they have a long way to go to compare with Leupold.

I've used Leupold for a long time without issue. It's gonna be hard for me to change to a no-name scope and pay more money or even the same. Other than the occasional mention on snipers hide and the swfa forum, the SS line gets no praise elsewhere and even where it does it's a cheaper alternative to Leupold. I hope they don't expect to be swarmed by the masses...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JonA, I have spent 45+ years using optic's and have in my stable, Leupolds,Redfields,Burris,Leica,Nightforce,US Optic's and tried the SS series in the 16 and 20X. To my eyes the SS series are about the same quality of the Vortex brand. Really know nothing to SS warranty but I do know about Leupold,Leica and USO's warranty and they are second to no one.
I really do hope it is a quality product but I don't see it being an azz kicker to Leupold,Nightforce,USO.

[Linked Image]

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
the name "super sniper" causes me to immediately be inclined to disregard it.

Discounting a product because you don't like its name and you lack of knowledge about it, is of course, something you're perfectly free to do, even if it does lack logic or rationale.
Originally Posted by TWR
So what's your connection to SS or SWFA?

I was sent the prototype for testing and evaluation. There is still time for some minor design changes before production begins (like the reticle, etc) so my input was solicited.
My opinion is from my own experience looking through the SS line, it didn't impress me much and unless they've improved greatly, they have a long way to go to compare with Leupold.

Originally Posted by jimmyd223
and tried the SS series in the 16 and 20X. To my eyes the SS series are about the same quality of the Vortex brand.

I'm sorry guys, I guess I didn't realize so many were unaware of SS's new models. Comparing the old fixed 10X, 16X, and 20X to the new models is analogous to comparing a VX-I to a Mark 4 Leupold. These new models are share nothing in common other than the name, they share no parts, they're made in a different factory to an entirely different level of quality that yes, compared side by side, blows Leupold away in most respects. I really suggest looking at them before forming an opinion about them.

This post was really meant as a heads-up to those who may be planning on buying a 1-4X NF, USO, S&B Short dot, Meopta K-Dot, etc, or other high-end 1-4X to let them know there will be another choice available soon. I don't know how the subject got turned to Leupold as they don't even make a 1-4X so comparisons are less than useful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.