Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"I don't know how the subject got turned to Leupold as they don't even make a 1-4X so comparisons are less than useful."

If you did any reading here, you'd know that there's probably a dozen 1.5-5's used by us. Some with IR and some without. But since you're the first one to cassify a 1-4 to exclude the 1.5-5, I agree, the Leupold 1-4 VXII is not much of a scope but they do make a 1-4. And no it's not a true 1-4, neither is the short dot... Would like to see the SS on 1x with a line a few inches away and showing the view through the scope and around it, to see how close it is to true 1x.

I still think it's overpriced if it goes for $600 but I hope it's as good as you say.

Also, how long is the battery life and what battery does it use?

Last edited by TWR; 04/16/10.
GB1

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you did any reading here, you'd know that there's probably a dozen 1.5-5's used by us.

As are plenty of 2.5-8�s, 3-9�s, and various red dots I�m sure, but those aren�t 1-4�s either. For those wanting true 1X, or even close to it on the bottom end (for �unity magnification�), 1.5X does not satisfy the requirement. They�re apples and oranges. Sure, the scopes can be used for many of the same things, there is much overlap in the application, but a 1.5X scope is not an equal substitute for 1X.

Would like to see the SS on 1x with a line a few inches away and showing the view through the scope and around it, to see how close it is to true 1x.

This is not a correct method of evaluating the magnification of a magnified optic. For a scope, the distance begins at its objective lens, for the camera (or your eye) the distance begins at the camera�s objective lens (or your eye). For something a few inches away, you�re looking at it from two significantly different distances so naturally it will look different. For a 1X optic, this difference becomes un-noticeable as distance increases such that the length of the scope itself becomes insignificant. As you can see from the 1X pic above, for those timbers, at no more than a few yards away and everything beyond there is no detectable magnification. This is as true 1X as it gets.

For most RDS�s, which have no comparable optical system (the glass pretty much amounts to �windows� through which you are looking) they will look as you expect from only inches away (though many have distortion of one sort or another). No scope will do that--unless actually less than 1X in which case verything beyond the certain distance where it looks like 1X will be �shrunk� (you see this a fair amount with the cheaper 1-4X scopes on the market).

I still think it's overpriced if it goes for $600

And I would have to ask again, based upon what? If based upon actual use someday, I�d hate to think how overpriced you would think the NF is at $1200. Much less the Leupold at $900. If you don�t think the Leupold is overpriced at $900, my best advice is to never compare it side by side with one of these so you can happily keep thinking that.

Also, how long is the battery life and what battery does it use?

It uses a CR2032, the same as virtually every other illuminated scope out there. Battery life, I don�t know yet. I'll have to find out and get back to you.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
So what's your connection to SS or SWFA?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did you have some sort of problem reading the answer the first time?

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
nope not gonna do it...

Last edited by TWR; 04/18/10.
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You too will see the benefit when you see the final reticle.

Then again, maybe you will not, as you seem perfectly happy providing opinions on things with which you have no experience and products which you've never seen, much less used. I guess it's not just a couple people in the Optics section who make a habit of doing that.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe I will...

Look, I may not have looked through this sooper sniper version but let's get something clear. The fundamentals of a low powered scope remain the same. I'm all for turrets and ranging reticles but if you're gonna range a distant target where a turret is needed, you will crank it up to 4x.

It is what it is and no amount of gadgetry will make it anything more. I'll stick with a proven product until I need a Short Dot, you can save the sales pitch.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JonA, nice folks here but very opinionated. You've shown grace under pressure. Keep to the high road, it suits you well.

Terry

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Terry. I really have no problem with strong opinions, provided they are based upon something.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Jon: HOw many degrees of rotation to get from 1X to 4X? Looks like this scope may be directed to the 3-gun market. Any thoughts about installing a cat-tail or more pronounced power ring?

Also, does the scope come with Zero-stops or the equivalent?

Last edited by Grand; 04/21/10.
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
About 180. A cat-tail should work very nicely with it. It's nice the illumination knob is on the turret housing so it isn't on the ocular getting in the way, but even so a cat-tail will make it much faster.

No zero stops. Though with 10 Mils per turn it's unlikely you'll ever turn a knob more than one full turn so getting lost is unlikely.

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,

Just in case anybody here is interested in what the new reticle looks like, here you go:

On 1X thick heavy posts #4a style, easily visible and fast:

[Linked Image]

Illumination for more speed:

[Linked Image]

Crank up to 4X and it becomes a more "long range" reticle with fine lines that won't cover the target and 1 Mil hashes for ranging or holding off elevation/windage:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/1-4X24/DSC00353.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/SuperSniper/1-4X24/DSC00351.JPG[/img]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
oh my. I bet that is spendy shocked

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ll say this... I'd buy US first if its the same and I have the choice... but for my money, I"ll look at any scope first, without a firm pre formed opinion and then go from there.

I have not been impressed with L quality and usually buy Z conquest since its a better scope for the same money give or take.

Same will go for this one.

Jon- nice write up for a quicky test.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I was wondering if this SWFA product is made by the same Japanese factory that was making the Weaver Classic Extreme.
I have one of those in a 1-4X, 30mm tube with the illuminated German #4 reticle, and think highly of it.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well i have read this thread a couple of times and the scope looks OK. My question is. What is the final price on this scope?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sam, I don't know if they make the Weaver, but it's the same factory that makes Nightforce scopes--not the compact and F1 models which are made in the US, but the rest of the line which is made in Japan. Making high quality, extremely tough, durable scopes is nothing new to them.

Bea, no final word on price yet. Sorry.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
at $600 it would be a competitor. If its up at $900 most will just go Nightforce. The NF eye relief is short but it is a very tough scope.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
How come the reticle looks very sharp on 4X but not on 1X ?
Does the scope's focus change as the magnification is increased ? E

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (16gage, 16Racing, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.