Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3962702 04/03/10
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Leaving for Zim on 4/19. Hunting Matetsi with Gavin Hume in HHK area for elephant and buffalo. I am about to wet myself from excitement.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are going to get over-excited...best to let me go in your stead..... whistle

Trust me....

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
iam with ingwe!!! take tons of pics . have a safe trip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Which unit will you be hunting? Not familiar with HHK's operation.

Rectum non bustus
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Matetsi Unit 3. My first trip to Zimbabwe. Rifles are happy, paperwork done, bags packed weighed and triple checked. The planning and dreaming are a good portion of the fun. I am ready to smell some mopane woodsmoke again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me see....

Where is the "green with envy" emoticon?? wink

Have a great and safe safari! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That is an excellent unit and a well know Safari company.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doclee
I am ready to smell some mopane woodsmoke again.

Me too!! Have a great safari doclee!! I'm leaving for Zim on the 28th of this month for Sable and Mr. Spots. I'm with you on the bladder control problem. Running out of Depends! grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Mike, Good luck on the Leopard and Sable. What area are you hunting? Are you planning on using a bow?

D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Anyone had personal experience with recent passage with firearms through Vic Falls? I read on AR that they were extremely interested in shell counts on exit from the Zim.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Have a good time.

"Stay cool, Honey Bunny"

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
They have always been interested in shell counts, it means nothing..tell them you don't save your brass and left it out on the ground...That stuff is usually an overreaction by someone that hasn't been there many times and over reacts to an official thats fishing for a twenty dollar bill.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hunted Unit 3 with HHK in 2008 for Elephant, Buff and Sable. If the water is dried up on the Bots side, you'll see a lot of game. If it's on quote, try and find a reedbuck as there are some monsters there!

Pete

D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Pete,
Thanks for the input. Game is usually where there is feed, water, and the least human pressure. I hope that these conditions are on my side! Interesting reading in Lou Hallamore's book where he tolled elephant from across the border by running the pump motor that filled the pans in this area. No quota that I am aware of for reedbuck but you never know what might be available when you show up to hunt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Bots side of the border is a photographic concession, there's no hunting in Wankie and the animals know that. We saw the bull I ended up shooting on one of the first days of my hunt. He was standing in Bots drinking out of a puddle left over from some late rains. About a week into my trip, the water dried up. First, a herd of about 200 buffalo came across the boundary making a bee-line for a big pan. The elephant bulls started coming across a few days later.

You should be in for a good trip. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Pete

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matetsi Unit 3. My first trip to Zimbabwe. Rifles are happy, paperwork done, bags packed weighed and triple checked. The planning and dreaming are a good portion of the fun. I am ready to smell some mopane woodsmoke again.

I've had two great trips to Matetsi Unit 3!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by talentrec
I hunted Unit 3 with HHK in 2008 for Elephant, Buff and Sable. If the water is dried up on the Bots side, you'll see a lot of game. If it's on quote, try and find a reedbuck as there are some monsters there!

Pete

There really are some monster reedbuck there!
[Linked Image]

The sable there are not bad either.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone had personal experience with recent passage with firearms through Vic Falls? I read on AR that they were extremely interested in shell counts on exit from the Zim.

I''ve been hunting 5 times in Zim - 4 times through Vic Falls. I've never had anyone interested in shell counts or anything to do with ammo. In Joberg they look at ammo - never got a second glance in Zim. I've always left excess ammo with the PHs - they appreciate it - for some unfortunate client like the Spanish Doctor in camp in Kazuma that only brought one box of 416 Remington and shot it up missing every animal he saw.

They will check your serial numbers on your rifles closely both coming and going to see that you take your rifle out of the country with you..

D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Ngrumba,
Nice animals. Thanks for the insight on the area. That Sable is what Matetsi is famous for!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Doclee-

The tusks from my Unit 3 elephant showed up yesterday. Hopefully, you'll find a bigger one than this!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 77 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.