-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used too. But the newest Bore Tech stuff has it beat hands down. None of that bad smell your wife complains about and does a better job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 04/14/10.

NRA Lifetime Member
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Folks can screw around, chasing copper with various magic cleaners.

Or they can cut the chase and settle on two bore cleaners and save some $$.

Bore Tech Eliminator

Foaming Bore Cleaner Vs Wipeout Thread

Neither cleaner stinks either.

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Butch's didn't seem to remove copper fowling much at all. I used one bottle then didn't replace it. Hoppe's #9 actualy removed copper better than Butch's. For copper removal I now use Patchout mostly.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Butch's often, Shooter Choice regular and brass brushes routinely.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I gave up on Butch's for copper, though it's okay for powder fouling. The copper get the Montana Extreme 50 BMG. That works fast, but the ammonia odor is quite strong.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used Butch's Bore Shine for years and always with copper brushes. It worked ok ...... used Shooters Choice w/ Kroil at the standard 75/25 mix and that worked ok too. Heck I used Sweet's 7.62 carefully for years and it was the schiznit!

Barnes CR-10 works great imo and I still have some and use it. And I've used WipeOut in the past and still like it.

But something inside me just feels the need to use a copper brush ........ can't figure it out. Might be old age & senility setting in early ...........

The Montana Exreme Bore Cleaner is fantastic and my current favorite. Haven't tried their Copper Cream but heard it is also fantastic from a local rifle loonie buddy of mine.

I've always been a big believer in bore paste ocassionaly and J-B Bore paste is probably my favorite, although there is nothing wrong with Issoso either. A little elbow work, but it sure makes a big difference in a factory barrel IMO.

And I keep some J-B Bore Brite in the cleaning box for an initial cleaning on that newly aquired pre-owned rifle too. It really gets everything out and leaves a final polish that makes regular cleaning much easier from that point forward.

Different flavors for different palates.

After any cleaning I always finish with 1 wet patch using Microil, then 1 dry patch and repeat. Just a stupid ritual from another rifle loonie.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Heard great things about Butch's Bore Shine, wasn't impressed.
Gone back to a couple of goes with Hoppes, dry patch out, couple of patches of Sweets 7.62, dry patch out and then oil for storage.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I prefer Blue Wonder gel cleaner. It doesn't stink up the place like most of the other cleaners I've used, and it leaves the bore looking like a mirror.

I've also used Wipe Out. Works great, but it has an ammonia smell to it and it's very easy to waste the stuff. A little goes a very long way, and you'll get crud out of your bore that you never dreamed even existed before hand.

Last edited by SPH300wsm; 04/27/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dink and Bobski,
Just my opine..I have had a big bottle of Butches for several years now, just never had good luck with it removing copper, and not much on powder residue IMO...Much prefer the Wipe Out...Amonia is what removes copper, nothing else seems to work..

My concoction of Bluegoop is without a doubt the best copper remover of all, one pass and 10 minutes and its all out as a rule, but you must be carefull to get it ALL out of the barrel as it will get a barrel so surgically clean that it will rust in a few hours...I follow with a scalding hot water rinse and patches until totally dry, then oil profusly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+1 on the nylon brushes.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A tip for using Wipe-Out, take the goofy cone off the nozzle and wrap some trimmed electrical tape around the nozzle so it fits snug in the bore. Give it a light squirt and wait a few seconds for the foam to reach your bore guide. I've wasted little since going to this method, never could get a tight seal using the cone.

MtnHtr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yea,works great.Follow the instructions,SHAKE WELL,DON'T USE BRONZ/COPPER BRUSH,it will eat them away.Heavy copper fouling,plug barrel,let sit,clean with patch.Better yet,if your barrel fouls bad,have it lapped,or buy a Sako;)

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you like Butch's, you will simply be head over heals with the Montana Extreme products that are all oil based.

In my experience, Butches worked about as well as Kerosene.

SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My custom barrels are not bad about copper fouling, so all I use is Butch's. It works just fine on carbon and what little copper fouling I get.

On factory barrels, I use Hoppe's #9 for carbon, and Sweet's 7.62 for copper.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butch's Bore Shine is really good stuff. It work's fine but I don't think it's as aggressive as some of the really strong ammonia solvents. I like it. Thanks to you guys, I bought some Wipe Out from Midway and it gets the bores sparkling clean with very little effort. Thanks for the tip Mountain Hunter. I've used it twice now and filled up my action each time and had it drip out the end of the barrel on the floor. It's like that foam insulation / sealer stuff in a can that you buy at Lowes. A little squirt goes a long way!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use butches when I've not shot alot of rounds or on guns with smooth barrels that don't foul. Like others have posted if you leave it sit a while (say an hour) and run another batch you will get copper out. Sometimes I use it before wipeout in heavily fouled barrels....and I still like the ez of wipeout when alot of cleaning needs to be done.
As a side note I came accross a box of bullets the other day that had been stored for 3 years. I had a note on the box of bullets that I had removed tarnish from the bullets with boreshine on a rag. Over 3 years of storage the tarnish didn't come back at all. So I'd have to think there is something pretty good in BB to keep corrosion from happening if you don't get it all out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
Thanks for the tip Mountain Hunter. I've used it twice now and filled up my action each time and had it drip out the end of the barrel on the floor. It's like that foam insulation / sealer stuff in a can that you buy at Lowes. A little squirt goes a long way!

I should mention if it's a boltgun you should leave a bore guide in place so no foam enters the mag well or lug recesses. I shine a flashlite inside the bore guide to check how far the foam has traveled.

MtnHtr

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Butches is a perfectly good bore cleaner, it is just not as aggressive as some of the newer stuff. I have 10 different ones on the shelf and play with them frequently. COPPER removers that work good (and I use them AFTER I have pushed the black crud out with something else) are: Montana Extreme, Wipe-out, CR-10, Bore tech, Extreme Copper melt et al.

I avoid the abrasives unless really needed.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 60 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.