Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
garryg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
What have you found to be the quickest and most effective way to remove copper fouling from barrels, that is safe to the barrel and user ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by like2shoot; 04/16/10.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bore Tech Eliminator, hands down. It's non-toxic, won't harm bores and can get both powder fouling and copper out quickly using just patches. If you're really in a hurry, you use a nylon brush with the stuff, but it's not really necessary. Simply run saturated patches through. They'll start out purple and then turn to blue, and then light blue. When they're coming out white, you're done except for a light coat of whatever lube you prefer. Best stuff I've ever found. No contest.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Gawd..don't you ever sleep..... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm on the left coast. Not all THAT late here. What's YOUR excuse???

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Chesty Puller woke me up...again....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thad dog's too damn smart. I see he even booted up your computer and logged you onto the fire!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What a good dog!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Thad dog's too damn smart. I see he even booted up your computer and logged you onto the fire!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to send a pic of him doing that in my First update..

Seriously though Ive already got him hitting stuff with his paw ( a precursor to him pressing push plates to open doors...)

Cool little dude...if he would only sleep..... cry

Ingwe

To the OP...sorry....back on topic!!..

Last edited by ingwe; 04/16/10.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Wipe Out.

I resisted buying Wipe Out until I used up most of my other solvents laying around--wished I had bought some earlier......

I use Shooters Choice or regular ol' Hoppes first to remove most of the powder if the barrel is really dirty, then use the Wipe Out. With Wipe Out I have one newish M700 that was virtually impossible to get a clean patch--the first time I tried Wipe Out was the first time I saw clean patches from that rifle.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I'm not in a hurry, which is 99% of the time, I use Wipe Out. One or two soaking with it gets everything there is to get and leaves the barrel completely clean.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by garryg
What have you found to be the quickest and most effective way to remove copper fouling from barrels, that is safe to the barrel and user ?

I see that this is your first post here on 24 Hour.
Welcome aboard, and come back often.
I've never given wipe-out a try, but here good things about it for getting the copper out.
I have two bottles of Sweets Copper Remover, and will use them up before looking for another copper remover.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using Shooter's Choice right now, but have heard good things about Bore Tech and would like to give it a try.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with Wipe-Out, I've been using a lot of Montana Extreme. This works just as well and can be left in a bore indefinitely.

But if a barrel really fouls, I treat it with Ultra Bore Coat. Life is too short to be scrubbing barrels. In fact I have quit scrubbing them, as they either get UBC'ed or have Montana Extreme left in the bore overnight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use Sweets 7.62 to remove copper fouling. I have used wipe out and have no complaints about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana extreme to clean the bore before UBC. After that, wipeout or Butch's Bore Shine.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV.

Seems to do a good job on removing both copper and powder residue.

JM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's a good source for Wipeout ?

My supply of Sweets is about gone.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently use Barnes CR-10, which is more or less the same as Sweets 7.62. I'll probably give something else a try when it's gone. Not because it doesn't work, as it does a decent job, but because I'd rather use something I can leave in the bore for longer than 15 minutes without fear of damage. Oh, and I'm not a big fan of the pungent ammonia smell.

Here's a test of a bunch of different products. If there is a cleaner you are interested in that is not on his list, he will accept a small sample size to test (my friend sent him the MPro-7). I'd like to see how Bore Tech Eliminator and Montana Xtreme Copper Killer stack up to the rest, but I won't be giving either a try until the CR-10 is gone.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

Last edited by Azar; 04/16/10. Reason: Fixed link to not use https

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.