-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A UBC coated bore, and cleaning afterwards with Wipe-Out, is about the most user friendly combo I've found. Just doesn't get more simple. Give it a squirt, and sit a few hours. Patch it out, and give it another squirt, and let it sit overnight. Patch it out, and it's generally done! Involves about 10 minutes time expended, and no fumes. Nice to have products that work as advertized, for a change!

Jeff

Last edited by akjeff; 04/17/10.
GB1

G
garryg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Azar, thanks for the link concerning the testing for the various products.
It is very interesting and informative....and it looks like KG 12 would be a good product to try, if it were available here.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use Wipe Out most of the time on a fouled bore....but if I have an old Winchester or double gun I will use my own mix, the stuff the old benchresters called "Blue Goop"..that is one quart of 25% Commercial Amonia, a cup of Hydrogen Peroxide and may toss a copper bullet in it to turn it blue..It really cleans the copper out, but be sure and get it all out with dry patches and oil the bore profusely..I usually give the bore a hot suds and rinse scalding water bath after using it, then oil the heck out of the squeeky clean bore. I do this about once a year btw..In the interim I just use a bore snake with some kind of oil on the brush..Wipe Out is easier to use and almost as effective, and I find myself using it more and more over the Blue Goop and save the Blue Goop for really bad bores only..

G
garryg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have gone on line to order the UBC (thanks Keith for the ordering tip), and when it arrives, will use it to condition the bores, and then plan to continue to use Wipe Out/Patch out.

You guys have been a great help....Thanks lots.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
atkinson, did you forget to use the hydrogen peroxide after saturating the bore with blue goop? Not many guys are old enough to remember the Blue GooP, this stuff was used prior to Sweets coming into the country....about all we had.

The problem with some of the cleaners is that they take time. Most rifles will need cleaning at the range while loads are being worked up. It is not uncommon for chrome moly factory barrels to need de-coppering every 12-20 rounds to see the accuracy potential for a load.

For you soakers, the MOntana Extreme Solvent can be left in a barrel over night(oil base) and I have got the same results as Wipe out or better.

The Montana Extreme Copper Killer (50BMG) is the best copper solvent that I have ever found. When this copper solvent is used with one of their plastic brushes, copper removal in a stubborn barrel is DONE in 15 minutes.

The Montana Extreme Copper Cream is as good as JB for the most stubborn, worn barrels such as military rifles. I use the copper cream on patches and/or thier plastic brushes. This application is usually on a rifle that has not been cleaned in hundreds of rounds or an old military rifle.

I am always trying every new solvent that comes out. The Bore Tec Eliminator is one thing that I have not tried yet.

I would urge all the readers to wear rubber gloves when using solvents, some of these chemicals are very caustic over a period of time....I would love to outlive my penis.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,351
Posts18,527,018
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.