Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looking at the muzzle, what caliber bore does it actually have? CP.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Agreed, but I'm sure Ruger will make things right for you. If they don't, for some reason, PM me and I'll make a couple of phone calls. This sort of QC failure is not only embarrassing, but also potentially dangerous. I suspect they'll be all over it once they figure out the issue is real.

Dennis - What do you think the odds are that it's a misstamped 338 Fed barrel?

I agree that Ruger will fix it, one way or another. My response is to this note LC put out:

"We called the distributer this am and spoke with the manager he said since paperwork has been filed it is now technically a used gun and they would not take it back as it is a warrenty issue between you and Ruger..Thank you and have a good day!
See what Ruger has to say on Monday."

The distributor doesn't seem to get it...

Don't think the chamber lets the .338 RCM brass in at all if it is a .338 Fed. But I can sure go see... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CP
Looking at the muzzle, what caliber bore does it actually have? CP.
good point as with a magnum bolt face and it wont chamber 338RCM.

I returned my Hawkeye 358Win. The headspace was cut wrong, would fire about every other cartridge. Ruger is a good company. They sent me a check. I have no doubt that they will make it right.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Cant be a 338 Federal as the .338 RCM goes more than 3/4 in. The front of the chamber looks very dark...rust? I was almost tempted to chuck in the lathe with some scotch brite on a dowel and polish the chamber...but will let Ruger sort it out. Bore is .338

LC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Agreed, but I'm sure Ruger will make things right for you. If they don't, for some reason, PM me and I'll make a couple of phone calls. This sort of QC failure is not only embarrassing, but also potentially dangerous. I suspect they'll be all over it once they figure out the issue is real.

Dennis - What do you think the odds are that it's a misstamped 338 Fed barrel?

I agree that Ruger will fix it, one way or another. My response is to this note LC put out:

"We called the distributer this am and spoke with the manager he said since paperwork has been filed it is now technically a used gun and they would not take it back as it is a warrenty issue between you and Ruger..Thank you and have a good day!
See what Ruger has to say on Monday."

The distributor doesn't seem to get it...

Don't think the chamber lets the .338 RCM brass in at all if it is a .338 Fed. But I can sure go see... grin.

Dennis

Yup, I agreed with you re. distributor, just making the point re. Ruger making it right.

I could go see, too, but will remain in current lazy mode since you're doing it. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Cant be a 338 Federal as the .338 RCM goes more than 3/4 in. The front of the chamber looks very dark...rust? I was almost tempted to chuck in the lathe with some scotch brite on a dowel and polish the chamber...but will let Ruger sort it out. Bore is .338

LC

The mystery deepens... I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be a 338 RCM barrel in 22 in., sans sights, flawed or otherwise. If they were going to produce any of those, you'd think they would have announced it. At any rate, please insist on an explanation from Ruger, ultimately, so you can share with us. Inquiring minds want to know...!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like they short chambered it by running the rough out reamer in and forgot to hit it with the finish reamer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rogue
Sounds like they short chambered it by running the rough out reamer in and forgot to hit it with the finish reamer.

That wouldn't explain the 22 in. barrel and missing iron sights...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More work they failed to finish -- didn't finish the chamber; didn't cut the barrel; didn't put the sights on.

Just a little bit of forgetting... whistle.

Guess that proves they don't fire every rifle...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you could stand that barreled action up in the freezer, you wouldn't need cerosafe to cast that funky chamber...

just shove an ear plug in the throat and fill the chamber with water (a little oil first will help with extraction)

Nope, it wouldn't be "perfect" but it would give you a good idea as to what is going on inside of there..Lol

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out of all the Rugers currently offered this one is the most interesting. Not the screwed up one but the 20 in 338rcm with irons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out of all the Rugers currently offered this one is the most interesting. Not the screwed up one but the 20 in 338rcm with irons.

...and the one on the Ruger #1, also.

I figured if you didn't get what you wanted, it would be fun to rechamber with the full size 375 Ruger reamer and a 338 Neck/Throat. Grrrrrr...!

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338-375 campfire. The Rick Bin special. Check out the Rick's (the site owners) article on the 338 Campfire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338-375 campfire. The Rick Bin special. Check out the Rick's (the site owners) article on the 338 Campfire.

mmmm-hummmm....... That would be it right there...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That would be one awesome collectible in a few years. I'd ask Ruger for a different rifle and keep that one.

I'd make a chamber cast before I let them get ahold of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always loved Ruger guns. I was the first in my neighborhood to own them. But this news really pops my bubble. Maybe the people at Ruger think they can get away with shoddy quality now that the "old man" is gone. I really hate to say that, and I hope it is not true, but what am I supposed to think? It seems the Ruger M77 rifles made today don't even come close to the quality of the older ones. I personaly think the pre-Hawkeye MkII rifles will prove to be the zenith in Ruger quality. I have several and they feed and shoot like a dream, better than most Mausers I have owned and very close to pre-'64 model 70s. I know that last comparison will be considered sacrilege by some, but that is my position and I'm sticking with it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I certainly do not understand where someone thinks a screwed up rifle could be valuable. The thing may not even be chambered properly which would render it useless in my opinion. I'd be suggesting Ruger hand pick a 338 RCM and thoroughly go over before sending it the mail. Turn the other one into scrap.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Update on RCM from Ruger:

Spoke with Ruger this morning

1) Some early LH RCM were indeed just plain Hawkeyes...(Guess they figured us dumb ol lefties wouldn't know the difference)
They have the same model number and order numbers as the RCM's with the 20" barrel.

2) The serial number of my rifle indicates it is a 20" RCM with the shorter length of pull, walnut stock, 20" barrel and sights, when in fact it is a 22" barrel, no sights, and standard stock.

3) Because of the chambering issue they want the gun back el-quicko. They have arranged for UPS to pick it up. Do not want it going back to the distributer.

4) They want the lot number of the Hornady Ammo.

5) They will only replace or rebarrel/restock with a 20" barrel with sights. Asked about a 22" with sights...no way (sorry Dennis)

Would not answer any questions regarding anything. Pretty much it. So other than the inconvience it should work out.

To answer qustions regarding it's collectability...I could care less. Just want to shoot and hunt with it.

Lefty C

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LC,

Curious. Is it even a .338 barrel? Might see if a .30 cal bullet is tight in the muzzle or a slip fit.

No surprise Ruger CS is taking care of you. Baffling that the distributor wanted nothing to do with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
I certainly do not understand where someone thinks a screwed up rifle could be valuable.

Was thinking the same thing, especially since it won't even chamber a round.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.