Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Has anyone here used one? Not the 30mm, but 1", it's a few years old.

Dino in Reno

Dino in Reno
GB1

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hummm, I was thinking of buying one tomorrow (Sunday) at the Reno show.
It has the MP-8 reticule. Any users out there?

Dino in Reno

Last edited by Dino_in_Reno; 04/17/10.

Dino in Reno
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A 6x IOR Valdada? No. I DID have a fixed 4x IOR Valdada 1" tube hunting (not tactical) scope. I liked it. I sold the rifle (CZ 550 9.3 x 62) and this scope (which was on it) 5+ years ago.

The optics were crisp (good resolution with minimal abboration/distortion). The reticle was bold, sharp and useful (a heavy plex reticle with horizontal bottom "heavy" posts (the "4A" reticle). It was a tad heavy, but it wasn't bad.

I've read some reports that the customer service with IOR Valdada is not good. Evidently sales dealers can't help you-and things have to go back to Romania for repair/replacement (and it's supposed to be slow). Given all that, I didn't have a lick of problem with my 4x scope (but then again, I didn't use it much). I bought it because I got it at a good price years ago, and I was intrigued by its lenses (Schott glass

Would I buy it again? Probably not.

For current 6x scopes, I guess Leupold is the benchmark for a decent scope, unless you want to bump up the quality to something like a Kahles or Zeiss (something to "hunt" for on the used market). All would probably have a higher resale value than the IOR Valdada, in my view.

If the IOR Valdada you are looking at is "reasonable in price," I think you have to ask "Why?" The US dollar is ~ 30%+ weaker now than it was a few years ago (imports cost 30% more). If the price is low, it tells me the quality may be there, but the company behind it may not be (customer service issues). That's a gamble. It's the reason I didn't feel bad selling the scope I had. I'll stick with my Leupolds. In this current economic stage (weak US dollar environment) it might make more sense to get the best quality domestic scope you can buy in your budget (Leupold 6x42 FIII?), and have confidence in the warranty/service (and resale value).

So, my synopsis on the IOR Valdada: "It's a good scope, until it isn't." If service was better, I'd feel better about them. I haven't kept pace if IOR Valdada is doing better in this regard. It may be fine now, I just don't know (and I'm guessing it's about the same), but it's an issue for which you should get an accurate update.

Good luck "scoping out" your potential purchase.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks Buttstock.

Dino in Reno
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Found this:

John Barsness
December/28/2009
I never even got that far with IOR scopes. Have tested them twice in the past 6-7 years and have not been that impressed with the optics. This of course may differ from other's opinions but my tests were with optics charts and not just general impressions. I pretty much concluded that for a practical hunting 6x there were other options, considering optics, weight, etc.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 43 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.