Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
ALL of my cars and truck has a spare tire and jack in them, I never need them. Now I wonder if this has been a mistake carrying them when I never need them? I guess it's time to quit carrying my .357 mag in my front pocket, after all I haven't needed a handgun for protection for the last 35 years. And I really only needed a handgun twice in my life for protection.

To each his own.

Every once in a while I run with scissors in my hands just to keep things spicey. eek

fish head

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sad, sad story. I just read her blog and she seemed like the kind of teacher that I would have wanted teaching my kids. A lot of common sense and a love of nature. Too bad she didn't have her bear spray with her on this jog...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I glad to see that the F&G eliminated the wolves. It's still a very sad story.

Well wishes to her family,

fish head

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Speaking of idiots....

Can't say about the woman - after 42 years in Alaska, I still sometimes go walkabout armed only with my good looks. smile Not often, but sometimes. Guess that makes me an idiot too.

If her old man actually made that statement about "hoping it won't be taken out on the wolves, then HE is indeed an idiot. Doesn't mean she was, tho one must question the sanity of anyone running thru wild country (or on busy streets) unaware of anything but their Mp3.

As I recall, a few years ago there was a Darwin Award to some Calif. jogger running a cliffside trail, so grooved out on his music that he missed the jog in the trail and went over a 200 foot cliff.

Of course those wolves responsible have to be eliminated - they made a deliberate attack on a human, unlike, say, a sow bear with cubs that defensively whacks an intruder and then runs like hell.

Already i've seen the Lupus uber alles crowd trying to spin this into several young wolves deprived of their alpha female/male "training" (by those evil human trappers) "making a mistake". As if they have a clue....

Now THOSE are idiots!

add-on. After some further reading, including her blogs, I'd say she was a young woman with her head fairly well attached, and no serious illusions about the wild. I tend to believe that any report that she was zoned out on Mp3 may well have been inventive reporting- she seemed to have been conscious of the need to be situationally aware when out and about.

Last edited by las; 03/16/10.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Applying the current social outlook on violent human behavior to wolves in action is a serious error.

Of course, applying the current outlook on violent human behavior to humans is a serious error...

None of which excuses the despicable bahavior of some of the people demonstrating their utter failure of character and values, to say nothing of morals, on this and other threads about this situation. People not welcome in Alaska, for certain.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It appears to me she was a fine young woman with everything going for her. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep...I have nothing but respect and sadness for her. There are some other people to whom I was in most recent reference...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
have seen far more bears than I have wolves and you're a lot more likely to get chewed up by one of them than by wolves and the subject has been beaten to death "how to survive in bear country, yada, yada, yada"

running around in the wilds is far less risky than driving to work, but I guess we take solace that help is close by, either to mend you or bury you and familiarity breeds contempt

you take what precautions seem prudent to your situation, but it ain't ever foolproof. When your gig is up, it's up. And when it ain't it ain't.

she seemed far more prepared to deal with and embrace her environment than many of the schoolteachers that were hired to work the bush back in the 70's & 80's when the bush was recruiting schoolteachers far and wide to teach their children in villages and IIRC the majority of them survived, whether they stayed long term or not.

gotta agree with Art, her size probably worked to her detriment in this situation

you can shoulda, coulda, woulda these situations beyond sane discussion

feel real bad for her and her family, her last moments on this earth weren't joyful would be my guess, I hope she had many moments of joy prior in her far too short life.

she suffered a rare but cruel fate, it would seem to me decency would preclude making disparaging comments about her. YMMV

VERY well said, Randy. +1.

Jeff

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wolves kill daughter good, 4 crack thugs kill daughter bad.

Every year people seem to become more and more [bleep] up as a whole.

I have to agree with this! Although in both scenarios you listed the urge to get some live target practice would be immense.......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Alaska, at least much of the rural parts I know of, is still safer in terms of threats from man or beast collectively than many other parts of America are. There are a lot of other things that can get you, but being armed on every occasion has never crossed my mind. Mostly, the "just in case" weapon in winter gets carried for potential food gathering if necessary, not for protection from the wild things - although to speak of such does make the fiber of some fine yarns.

Long and well may this young woman be remembered, and her killers thought of no more.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW, My buddy was the primary investigating Trooper in this case and there was never any doubt that wolves were responsible for the death.

NRA Benefactor member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
She was actually from my home town here in Pa. It's a shame. Sounds like it's time for some shooting......

And all the Hollywierd whackos wonder what the heck Alaskans are trying to accomplish with aerial wolf hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I had said earlier, to loose ones life for the lack of a fire arm, is in my mind very sad. Its something I never think about because I always have one nearby. As for the lady in question. Seems she was a good one. And good ones are hard to find.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't blame you for keeping a firearm handy, tis a good thing imo&e

but having a handgun on your person might have not been enough to prevent THIS tragedy.

only she knows how it went down, but I doubt those wolves approached her snarling and growling like they do in movies or the way the rogue dog of the neighborhood does.

I can easily envision any of us going for a run in this scenario, handgun holstered or in a fanny pack of some sort, concentrating on your breathing and your form and BINGO

something hit you hard on your knees with a tearing pain in the back of your leg and you're going flying azz over teakettle in the gravel. Before you can even comprehend what's happening you're being ripped and shredded from too many directions to even get a firm grasp upon where to direct your counter attack. You might try and reach your firearm but a furry block of body prevents you from doing so or that arm gets chomped down on, as you tilt your head back to scream in excruciating agony one latches onto your throat and lucky for you sweet peace comes shortly after.

when wolves are hunting and due to the predation and her small size I believe they were in this instance, you're not going to get a warning, most likely just ambushed.

yep carrying a gun is a good thing but it ain't foolproof.

even the old saw "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" rings hollow if you meet a real sociopath that you don't even know and as you nod in greeting as you pass each other in the street he slips 7 inches of steel between your ribs without ever giving you a hint there was gonna be trouble. Then your gun is just added to you wallet and watch as his spoils.

believe I mentioned earlier when your time is up, it's up

either of those scenarios and you're most likely dead, packing heat or not.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
can't blame you for keeping a firearm handy, tis a good thing imo&e

but having a handgun on your person might have not been enough to prevent THIS tragedy.

only she knows how it went down, but I doubt those wolves approached her snarling and growling like they do in movies or the way the rogue dog of the neighborhood does.

I can easily envision any of us going for a run in this scenario, handgun holstered or in a fanny pack of some sort, concentrating on your breathing and your form and BINGO

something hit you hard on your knees with a tearing pain in the back of your leg and you're going flying azz over teakettle in the gravel. Before you can even comprehend what's happening you're being ripped and shredded from too many directions to even get a firm grasp upon where to direct your counter attack. You might try and reach your firearm but a furry block of body prevents you from doing so or that arm gets chomped down on, as you tilt your head back to scream in excruciating agony one latches onto your throat and lucky for you sweet peace comes shortly after.

when wolves are hunting and due to the predation and her small size I believe they were in this instance, you're not going to get a warning, most likely just ambushed.

yep carrying a gun is a good thing but it ain't foolproof.

even the old saw "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" rings hollow if you meet a real sociopath that you don't even know and as you nod in greeting as you pass each other in the street he slips 7 inches of steel between your ribs without ever giving you a hint there was gonna be trouble. Then your gun is just added to you wallet and watch as his spoils.

believe I mentioned earlier when your time is up, it's up

either of those scenarios and you're most likely dead, packing heat or not.

Tis always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't find anything in my posts to contradict that statement.

merely pointing out that EVEN when you need it and have it, you may not get to employ it.

sad but true, and factual

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There is never a fool-proof means of protection or way to employ it, regardless of what scenario one wants to spell out.

Even still, in AK the wolf populations are getting out of control. There is no other explanation for why the federal courts wouldn't put an end to the aerial hunts up there. This teacher's death proves what I'm getting at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
believe we're in agreement SPH

though I'd like to think the FEDS wouldn't get involved because the aerial hunts take place over state lands vs. federal

even our state would employ less controversial means to control wolf populations if they could, but what else works besides poison? and it's use is too indiscriminate.

tourism is big biz here, the state doesn't want to offend anyone wanting to drop a few dollars here.

but they're stuck with us yahoos after the tourist season is over wondering what happened to the prey population?

I don't know that the teacher's death PROVES the need for predator control, but it certainly adds to the argument for predator control. But I thought that was what game management's intended purpose anyway. To manage game, both prey and predator.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldman1942
There is an upside..... she will not breed and produce more idiots, no doubt fathered by another idiot.

Gotta love old Charles...... shoot, shovel, shutup.

Blunt and "pithy," Oldman! And +1! wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 47 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.