Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by muledeer
I've seen the video...he shot it from above at about three feet. The .357 worked just fine, because he put the shots into the spine and chest. And was deeply concerned with his situation, being cross-legged over the bear in the back of a pickup... whistle.

I may be slightly biased by living here and everything, but I would be a lot more likely to pay attention to the outlooks of fellow Alaskans than people who live in big cities in highly populated, but brown bear free, states.

Just saying...

Dennis

I don't how this line of reasoning supports his need to BUY ANOTHER GUN!

grin

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is a bit amusing that people will justify using a "big rifle" for hunting moose during bear "out" months on the one hand, but think a rather puny revolver might be okay for their defense. (Not saying any individual here fits both criteria, but the two lines of reasoning seem to coexist around here.)

But, I should talk, I just took proper "just in case" medicine (358 Norma) with me on a quick rabbit jaunt. Yes, those Speer or Hornady 250 grain SPs kill our local hares just fine (and I wasn't inadequately armed should I have run into old Ursas.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/30/10.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wow, you're even more [bleep] up than originally thought. Pretty impressive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Cuzz I know Royce hunted bear with a 357. You do know people hunt, right?

I just don't know anyone silly enough to go chasing bears with a 357 I guess. I don't think the original poster was asking about it's suitability as a hunting round, instead more of it's suitability as a defensive round.

I've seen first hand what a 357 does to a 3 year old black bear, at a range of 4 feet, lets just say I wasn't impressed with it.

But I weren't asking the original poster.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This topic again..lol

I ain't qualified to tell you a 357 is good/bad..I guess if the bear was on top of you, it beats a knife.

I've wrote the story before, but one time while hunting bear in Idaho, I had a stare down @ about 15 feet with a sow Griz..my rifle was leaning against a tree out of reach, I was [bleep] basically.After a few seconds, she woofed a few times (she had cubs) and took off, thankfully I wasn't between her and her cubs and she just loped off.

Its a bad situation to be in for sure, I'm not confident I could have stopped her with a handgun if she decided to come..but thats just me and my lack of shooting confidence with them.I'd been better off with bear spray..I keep my rifle close now while glassing!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...I've seen the video...he shot it from above at about three feet..."

I remember that video some years ago. It was in Montana. Some fast shooting, as you said handshake range. Bad idea to lift the door while standing on the culvert trap, it would seem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1

I've wrote the story before, but one time while hunting bear in Idaho, I had a stare down @ about 15 feet with a sow Griz..my rifle was leaning against a tree out of reach, I was [bleep] basically.

That is the precise reason I often keep a large bore revolver available. I like to carry one when the possibility of that happening seems likely.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bear and culvert trap
If I remember correctly, that warden had trapped a "black bear". He knew it was a black because there were no grizzlies in the area, and he had released many blacks while standing on the trap. When the door opened, the blacks would scurry away. Well, this time, when he opened the trap, the "black bear" had somehow turned into Mr Long Claws and was somewhat less charitable about his brief incarceration, and was going to give the warden a brief course in constitutional law, as interpeted by grizzly bears. I think the episode took place around the ennis area.
If I have screwd up any or all the facts here (which I am apt to do), please feel free to correct me.

Fred

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might be two different incidents.

The one I know of happened in '87 or '88 in or around Glacier Park, and the guy knew it was a big grizzly. The reason it got filmed was that the annual conference of the Outdoor Writers Association of America was being held in Kalispell, and the bear guys asked if any of the writers would like to watch and film a grizzly being released from a trap. Didn't work out quite like they expected.

By the way, the bullet that killed the bear was the last in the 6-round cylinder. The previous five had all hit the bear in various places, but didn't penetrate anything vital. In fact at least a couple hit the skull and then slid off between skull and hide to end up at the back of the head. The 6th went into the bear's mouth and throat, and broke the spine.

I also heard, however, that the bullets were typically soft 158's, not really designed to get inside a big bear's skull. There are .357 bullets today that will do that job, however.

I was fishing in Alaska in 2008 in an area with LOTS of brown bears. The closest encounter was with a big female that came out behind us on a gravel bar and wasn't happy about it, partly because she'd just been chased downstream by a nitwit woman who was trying to take her photo with a point-and-shoot.

Our guide was a very well-known brown bear outfitter from the Alaska Peninsula. The bear was 15-20 feet away and the guide whispered for us to just stand still. Meanwhile he slowly drew both is big can of bear spray and...his .357 Magnum.

Luckily he didn't have to use either. Since we stod still and didn't threaten her, the sow eventually just turned away and left.

Since this guide has seen LOTS of big bears taken over the years, and is a very savvy gun guy, I would guess that whatever load he had in the .357 had been tested on bear skulls.

And the other side of the deal is that with any handgun, at close range the only real chance you have is to put one in the brain.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I can think of several good reasons to shoot bears that are not charging...

Had a situation in Ak with a Black that would not let us alone. Tore up our tent while away, then when we came back with Goat meat and hide, he kept messing with us. Hissing and snapping at around 30yards. We would scare him away-he wouldn't go far-and then he would sneak back and start over. Guide finally said I think you should shoot him. I said we are going to have enough of a problem getting off the mountain without a bear hide to carry.

Got late and we crawled into the torn tent with the Goat hide and left the meat outside. During the night he took the meat.

All worked out well for us, but Chris said if he had it to do over we would of shot him, because now it thinks he can bully people out of their meat and the next group may not be as lucky.

Also a rainy night with a wrecked tent can cause its own problems.

So yes DLP can be justified without a charge.

To the original question. Just me, but in a charge situation it would be hard for me not to want a 12Ga. Not much can take a full load of shot in the face at 30yd and under and not say no mais. What say those with experience?

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It didn't work that way for a couple of pheasant hunters here in Montana a few years ago. They jumped a mama grizzly in thick cover and when she charged they shot her in the face with birdshot, at less than 30 yards. She beat up one guy and then disappeared in the brush. Game wardens found her later and she was still alive and plenty pissed off. Luckily the wardens weren't carrying bird guns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,

Another semi-original thought that failed when faced with reality. blush

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
............Well, come on down to So Calif then and FIX me up!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
so basically if you get charged by a bear a head shot is the ONLY option?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want the bear to stop or be incapacitated at the shot, you have to take out the central nerous system, i.e. brain or spine. Shots that will be fatal eventually really aren't much good, as a "dead" bear can be very dangerous.

The reason I say the 357 is up to the task, is only a CNS shot will stop a charging bear, and a heavy hardcast from a .357 will reach the brain or spine just as effectively as a 44, 45, 475 or 500. None of those more powerful handgun rounds placed somewhere are going to stop a bear, they also need to hit the cns.

For hunting, you aren't limited to a cns shot, hence the .357 isn't the best choice.

As a conversation with a former co-worker who sought advice about a bear defense handgun went. Him, what type of handgun do you recomend for bear defense? Me, are you an expert shot with a handgun? Him, no. Me, do you plan to put in the practice to become one? Him, no. Then a handgun will be useless to you, get some pepper spray and don't be stupid in the woods.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It would be my focus at close range, even if all I had was an axe. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

db

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shoot them under the chin.........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Most Californians seem to have a touch of Little Man Syndrome...

Here is another prime example.

Bet you don't think a .223 can kill a deer do ya?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mule Deer
Yea, it could be two different stories... Or it could be that I'm just not getting my money's worth outta that dam medication. smile

fred

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.