Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie
Are you defending what the teacher said as true and totally correct?

We don't know exactly what the teacher said so that isn't possible. I do get tired of the "we did it so that makes it better" jingoistic crap.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JasonB
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
They did kill some of them. How many more could they have knocked off before it became an ethics problem in your opinion?

Well, first of all. Who are "they"? Who are "them"? and then please elaborate.

The US governemnt did kill some US citizens that the US government put in to concentration camps in the 1940s. How many more US citizens could the US have killed before it would have been unseemly for several of you since putting US citizens in concentration camps in the first place isn't a problem for several of you and also taking actions leading to the deaths of come of those in the camps also isn't a problem.

I would be really interested to read a complete list of any such deaths.

Are you referring to "death by natural causes" during the coarse of internment? Or are you alleging murder of US citizens at the hands of camp guards?

1942 was an ugly time in American History. It is certainly no exaggeration to state that the fate of the world hung in the balance. And our leaders had to make some really tough decisions.

I am firmly convinced that locking up Americans of Japanese ancestry was the correct decision for the times. Otherwise, thousands of them would have been murdered upon the streets of our cities.

I do not know how old you are. I was not alive during the forties. But I am old enough to remember the hatred and prejudice of many Americans, toward anything Japanese, which was still very strong in the mid sixties. Twenty years after the conclusion of the war.

There is no doubt in my mind that many Japanese Americans would have died, at the hands of their countrymen, had they been left unprotected within the general population. Most likely the nation would have been subjected to severe civil disorder as the Japanese Americans banded together in self defense.

On the other hand, the seizure of their properties and assets was an unpardonable crime.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats JasonB you are the first to make it to my Ignore list..you are nothing but a fck tard, bed wetting,limp wrister, leftist ass clown turd TROLL. I encourage others to not feed this TROLL.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So we can mark okok down as being in favor of presidents being able to detain anyone on a whim.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
They did kill some of them. How many more could they have knocked off before it became an ethics problem in your opinion?

Well, first of all. Who are "they"? Who are "them"? and then please elaborate.

The US governemnt did kill some US citizens that the US government put in to concentration camps in the 1940s. How many more US citizens could the US have killed before it would have been unseemly for several of you since putting US citizens in concentration camps in the first place isn't a problem for several of you and also taking actions leading to the deaths of come of those in the camps also isn't a problem.

I would be really interested to read a complete list of any such deaths.

Are you referring to "death by natural causes" during the coarse of internment? Or are you alleging murder of US citizens at the hands of camp guards?

1942 was an ugly time in American History. It is certainly no exaggeration to state that the fate of the world hung in the balance. And our leaders had to make some really tough decisions.

I am firmly convinced that locking up Americans of Japanese ancestry was the correct decision for the times. Otherwise, thousands of them would have been murdered upon the streets of our cities.

I do not know how old you are. I was not alive during the forties. But I am old enough to remember the hatred and prejudice of many Americans, toward anything Japanese, which was still very strong in the mid sixties. Twenty years after the conclusion of the war.

There is no doubt in my mind that many Japanese Americans would have died, at the hands of their countrymen, had they been left unprotected within the general population. Most likely the nation would have been subjected to severe civil disorder as the Japanese Americans banded together in self defense.

On the other hand, the seizure of their properties and assets was an unpardonable crime.

Some of them died due to not being able to provide for themselves due to being interned and some were shot by guards.

If their safety was of concern (I doubt it) then the best course of action would have been to come down on anyone doing anything to them like a ton of bricks, in other words punish violators instead of those not bothering anyone.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

We don't know exactly what the teacher said so that isn't possible. I do get tired of the "we did it so that makes it better" jingoistic crap.

"America's treatment of Japanese citizens made us no better than Nazis."

If this was what she said?

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"America's treatment of Japanese citizens made us no better than Nazis."

If this was what she said?

Doesn't seem too far off. Our government's actions didn't lead to the number of deaths/destruction of lives as the Nazi's, but wrong is wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
My son got sent to the principals office in like the 5th grade or so, by a substitute teacher, for "disrupting the class"...

The Substitute was some ponytailed, birkenstock wearing mid 50s hippie... they were going over the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Bill of Rights etc...

The teacher told the class that the second amendment had been repealed...one kid asked what was it and why it got repealed...and the teacher told the class that it was the 'right' to bear arms..but it had been repealed because of all the violence in America since the end of WW 2...assassination of John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King etc...

At the same time, my son had been going over the same thing is scouts.. he told the teacher that the second amendment Hadn't been repealed... the teacher told him he was wrong, and he said he wasn't.. so the teacher got pissed and sent him to the principals office..

that upset my son, not sure what he had done wrong..he told me about it when he got home... confused about it..

I went down and talked to the principal the next morning...

in the end, the substitute was replaced and was fired from employment from the school district...

one thing about the liberal left, they don't care if it is a lie or not, or who they lie to.. just so long as they get their message across... especially to young impressionable kids..

I'm glad to hear you got involved and got that fuggin hippie coq-sucker booted

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Doesn't seem too far off? You are delusional... I hope you aren't a teacher.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't seem too far off? You are delusional... I hope you aren't a teacher.

Not delusional and not a hypocrite either. That is, after all, what you are considering ok behavior since you frown on someone else behaving in a certain way, but similar behavior from you/others you feel a connection with gets a pass.

I hope you aren't a teacher telling kids that it is ok for the US government to drag people from their homes and stick them in camps.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
So, Jason, how many Japanese-Americans were killed in the internment camps? Hard, fast numbers, with verifiable sources, please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
So, Jason, how many Japanese-Americans were killed in the internment camps? Hard, fast numbers, with verifiable sources, please.

Apparently not enough to make you think that action was wrong.

"Many internees lost irreplaceable personal property due to the restrictions on what could be taken into the camps. These losses were compounded by theft and destruction of items placed in governmental storage. A number of persons died or suffered for lack of medical care, and several were killed by sentries; James Wakasa, for instance, was killed at Topaz War Relocation Center, near the perimeter wire. Nikkei were prohibited from leaving the Military Zones during the last few weeks before internment, and only able to leave the camps by permission of the camp administrators.

Psychological injury was observed by Dillon S. Myer, director of the WRA camps. In June 1945, Myer described how the Japanese Americans had grown increasingly depressed, and overcome with feelings of helplessness and personal insecurity.[79]

Some Japanese-American farmers were able to find families willing to tend their farms for the duration of their internment. In other cases, however, Japanese-American farmers had to sell their property in a matter of days, usually at great financial loss. In these cases, the land speculators who bought the land made huge profits. California's Alien Land Laws of the 1910s, which prohibited most non-citizens from owning property in that state, contributed to Japanese-American property losses. Because they were barred from owning land, many older Japanese-American farmers were tenant farmers and therefore lost their rights to those farm lands.

To compensate former internees for their property losses, the US Congress, on July 2, 1948, passed the "American Japanese Claims Act," allowing Japanese Americans to apply for compensation for property losses which occurred as "a reasonable and natural consequence of the evacuation or exclusion." By the time the Act was passed, however, the IRS had already destroyed most of the 1939-42 tax records of the internees, and, due to the time pressure and the strict limits on how much they could take to the assembly centers and then the internment camps, few of the internees themselves had been able to preserve detailed tax and financial records during the evacuation process. Thus, it was extremely difficult for claimants to establish that their claims were valid. Under the Act, Japanese-American families filed 26,568 claims totaling $148 million in requests; approximately $37 million was approved and disbursed.[80]"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What are you looking for when you talk to this teacher? Make sure that you have a goal. Is it to get the teacher to admit they were wrong and apologize to the class? Stop tryng to push their own angry agenda? Get them fired? Make sure you know what it is that you want. (Make sure it is a realistic goal) Smile, be nice but firm, dress neatly, look like someone that should be taken seriously. Do not appear to be the same thing that teacher is, but Republican. I have been in Education for 27 yrs, am conservative, concealed carry, Pro-life, marriage=one man/one woman, strong military. Many of my colleagues feel the same way. The conservative teachers I know do not seem to push their beliefs off on their students, where a lot of the more liberal ones see it as part of their mission. When I first started 27 yrs ago every teacher I knew was a liberal (except my wife and I). There seems to be a lot more conservatives in the ranks now. Good Luck with your visit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So maintaining the position that putting US citizens (who had done nothing wrong) in to concentration camps was/is wrong makes one a liberal?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Apparently not enough to make you think that action was wrong.

"Many internees lost irreplaceable personal property due to the restrictions on what could be taken into the camps. These losses were compounded by theft and destruction of items placed in governmental storage. A number of persons died or suffered for lack of medical care, and several were killed by sentries; James Wakasa, for instance, was killed at Topaz War Relocation Center, near the perimeter wire. Nikkei were prohibited from leaving the Military Zones during the last few weeks before internment, and only able to leave the camps by permission of the camp administrators.

Psychological injury was observed by Dillon S. Myer, director of the WRA camps. In June 1945, Myer described how the Japanese Americans had grown increasingly depressed, and overcome with feelings of helplessness and personal insecurity.[79]

Some Japanese-American farmers were able to find families willing to tend their farms for the duration of their internment. In other cases, however, Japanese-American farmers had to sell their property in a matter of days, usually at great financial loss. In these cases, the land speculators who bought the land made huge profits. California's Alien Land Laws of the 1910s, which prohibited most non-citizens from owning property in that state, contributed to Japanese-American property losses. Because they were barred from owning land, many older Japanese-American farmers were tenant farmers and therefore lost their rights to those farm lands.

To compensate former internees for their property losses, the US Congress, on July 2, 1948, passed the "American Japanese Claims Act," allowing Japanese Americans to apply for compensation for property losses which occurred as "a reasonable and natural consequence of the evacuation or exclusion." By the time the Act was passed, however, the IRS had already destroyed most of the 1939-42 tax records of the internees, and, due to the time pressure and the strict limits on how much they could take to the assembly centers and then the internment camps, few of the internees themselves had been able to preserve detailed tax and financial records during the evacuation process. Thus, it was extremely difficult for claimants to establish that their claims were valid. Under the Act, Japanese-American families filed 26,568 claims totaling $148 million in requests; approximately $37 million was approved and disbursed.[80]"

So, in other words, you have no hard and fast numbers, is that correct?

I'm simply asking for facts to support your argument, and frame it properly.

Can you provide those facts?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So maintaining the position that putting US citizens (who had done nothing wrong) in to concentration camps was/is wrong makes one a liberal?

We were aggressively attacked by the nation of Japan. We were at war. To compare a defensive move like determent of Japanese nationals on our own soil to what Nazi Germany did is delusional. My father was with the 101st in WWII and saw first hand what Nazi's were. Millions of non-combatants died at the point of the Nazi's sword. Genocide. The world is a rough place Jason. Get back on your meds...

What steps would need to be taken for national survival if we were to go to war (openly) with Mexico today. Be practical and give an honest answer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho Shooter said, "1942 was an ugly time in American History. It is certainly no exaggeration to state that the fate of the world hung in the balance. And our leaders had to make some really tough decisions.

I do not know how old you are. I was not alive during the forties. But I am old enough to remember the hatred and prejudice of many Americans, toward anything Japanese, which was still very strong in the mid sixties. Twenty years after the conclusion of the war."

This is absolutely correct. I was alive and even though just a kid I remember 1944-45 pretty well. Unless you were there you have no idea of the paranoia and pure fear of the Japanese that existed.

We didn't know anything about them except that they all had buck teeth, wore thick glasses and were treacherous, sub human savages who ate fish heads and rice. That was the common belief at that time. Was it wrong, sure it was... later but not at the time. That is what we KNEW and believed.

Germans and Italians were at least sort of like us but not the Japanese. They were different. Alien, frightful but somehow cowardly and sneakey. Stories from wounded and returned soldiers from the Pacific about how they would lure medics out by pretending to be wounded so they could shoot the medic. Things like that. Cutting off heads with SWORDS for God's sake.

In the early part of the war, and I am doing this from what I was told as I don't personally remember it but heard it when I was old enough to remember.

Nobody knew where the Japanese fleet was. Was it going to show up in San Francisco Bay next Thursday? Mighty Singapore and the British had been destroyed. Terrible stories of Japanese invasion. Our mighty Pacific fleet had been destroyed (we thought) at Pearl Harbor. There is nothing but empty water between us and them.

The Japanese society in this country was closed only very few whites could get in. What are they going to do if the Japanese fleet starts landing troops? Better put them somewhere that they can be watched.

Fear, paranoia and you naturally hate anybody that scares you.

Was internment wrong, unnecessary. It proved to be but hindsight is always 20/20.

I'll repeat that HIND SIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20.

At the time there would have been many killings of Japanese Americans by their neighbors just out of pure fear and hatred of anything Japanese if they had been left where they were. I don't know that but I do believe it remembering the common talk of the time.

Repeating again: Did internment prove to be a tragedy, unjust and unnecessary. Yes it did. LATER.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Idaho Shooter said, "1942 was an ugly time in American History. It is certainly no exaggeration to state that the fate of the world hung in the balance. And our leaders had to make some really tough decisions.

I do not know how old you are. I was not alive during the forties. But I am old enough to remember the hatred and prejudice of many Americans, toward anything Japanese, which was still very strong in the mid sixties. Twenty years after the conclusion of the war."

This is absolutely correct. I was alive and even though just a kid I remember 1944-45 pretty well. Unless you were there you have no idea of the paranoia and pure fear of the Japanese that existed.

We didn't know anything about them except that they all had buck teeth, wore thick glasses and were treacherous, sub human savages who ate fish heads and rice. That was the common belief at that time. Was it wrong, sure it was... later but not at the time. That is what we KNEW and believed.

Germans and Italians were at least sort of like us but not the Japanese. They were different. Alien, frightful but somehow cowardly and sneakey. Stories from wounded and returned soldiers from the Pacific about how they would lure medics out by pretending to be wounded so they could shoot the medic. Things like that. Cutting off heads with SWORDS for God's sake.

In the early part of the war, and I am doing this from what I was told as I don't personally remember it but heard it when I was old enough to remember.

Nobody knew where the Japanese fleet was. Was it going to show up in San Francisco Bay next Thursday? Mighty Singapore and the British had been destroyed. Terrible stories of Japanese invasion. Our mighty Pacific fleet had been destroyed (we thought) at Pearl Harbor. There is nothing but empty water between us and them.

The Japanese society in this country was closed only very few whites could get in. What are they going to do if the Japanese fleet starts landing troops? Better put them somewhere that they can be watched.

Fear, paranoia and you naturally hate anybody that scares you.

Was internment wrong, unnecessary. It proved to be but hindsight is always 20/20.

I'll repeat that HIND SIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20.

At the time there would have been many killings of Japanese Americans by their neighbors just out of pure fear and hatred of anything Japanese if they had been left where they were. I don't know that but I do believe it remembering the common talk of the time.

Repeating again: Did internment prove to be a tragedy, unjust and unnecessary. Yes it did. LATER.

BCR

Exactly.

But, someone with even half-a-fuggin' clue can CLEARLY see the difference between that and scripted, methodical genocide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course Sean. There never was and never has been discovered any organized, systematic plan to kill Japanese Americans by the US government as there certainly was by the Nazis vis the Jewish people and others.

The US just wanted them someplace where they could be watched and dealt with if they really did try to do something.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Of course Sean. There never was and never has been discovered any organized, systematic plan to kill Japanese Americans by the US government as there certainly was by the Nazis vis the Jewish people and others.

The US just wanted them someplace where they could be watched and dealt with if they really did try to do something.

BCR

Well, not in the minds of idiots like JasonB and the teacher in question.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.