Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
jorgeI,

I am loading both H4895 and Benchmark for my #1 405, and the factory 300 FP's come out at 2275 - so it looks like our rifles are pretty close with that one. I am getting 2450 out of the 300 FP's with a stout charge of Benchmark. Getting just under 2400 with the same bullets and H4895. I found the X bullet was a tad more accurate than the Hornady, and they are squeeking down range at a real good clip, but my rifle is a #1, and so it is a fairly stout action. Wouldn't recommend my loads for a levergun.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shootist: yeah I'm limiting myself to 2250 or less. I figure that MV was plenty for Teddy to kill a Hippo among other things and that was with crappy bulets. I figure the TSXs Woodleighs and North Forks will give me better performace. ell you what though, that 1986 is one handy, fast pointing rifle. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No doubt about it. And a real neat cartridge as well. I love mine. Can't wait to tip a moose with it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Irepeated this over on the Africa Forum as well:
Well guys been working the 405 hard coming up with a suitable load. Been using RL-15 powder as that was the best powder recommended. Used 300gr Woodleighs and TSXs. Finally settled on the TSXs and right at 2250 fps duplicating original factory specs. THe factory Hornady and Winchesters shoot a bit faster (2280s) and the Woodleighs a bit more accurate, but given the rounds lousy SD I settled on the TSXs to maximize penetration. THe TSXs are holding consisten 2 3/4" three shot groups@ 100. Funny thing about the Woodleighs, velocity seemed to top out in the 2180s no matter how much powder from about 53.5 to 55.5gr of RL-15. The TSXs in turn responded nicely with 30 fps increments per half grain of powder. I've also ordered a Lee Custom Factory Crimp Die as this has shown to tighten groups in all the other calibers I've used. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good info, jorge. Thanks.

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The TSXs are holding consistent 2 3/4" three shot groups@ 100.

I'd say that's excellent considering you're using the rifle's factory iron sights; especially that crappy buckhorn rear sight. I'd say you're good to go.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: It is a very sweet, FAST handling rifle, definitively "habit forming" to play and hunt with. I'm definitively considering taking it along when I do another buff hunt. I'd like to try Tanzania where you can whack two buffalo on one hunt smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course, you could put a Williams FP-71 Receiver Peep Sight on it and a larger/better white bead up front and I bet your group size would shrink.

From the looks of the model of your rifle, it's already drilled and tapped for the peep sight:

[Linked Image]

My particular model of 1895 isn't already drilled and tapped from the factory. I'm still mulling over the idea of having the Williams sight mounted. Due to my aging eyes I can't see the standard rear sight worth a darn. It's just a big blur even when wearing my eye glasses.

Just my musings.....
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you mean where those two screws are near the top? Good idea!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
you mean where those two screws are near the top?

Yep!

[Linked Image]

From reading other topics on here, it's my understanding that the FP-71 will mate to those holes perfectly. I have not personally tried or done it. Maybe some of our more experienced posters will chime in about it.

You might have to remove the rear factory sight in order to get a clear view of the front sight through the peep. Again, maybe some of the more experienced folks here can tell us.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To my eyes, it kind of spoils the looks and the lines of the rifle but you could always remove it once you were done with the serious hunting for a season.

[Linked Image]
Williams FP-71 on Winchester 95 in 30-06

Not my photo; just one I found on the web.

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'ld cancel the order for the lfcd , won't do much but screw up good loads.
If I were going to use my rifle for just a hunting and informal target gun I'ld go back to the set up I had on it while waiting for the Lyman 38 type sight.
I put a One Ragged Hole sight mounted on a spare winchester 94 rear sight.
[Linked Image]

Worked like a champ kept the clean lines, didn't get in the way and it shot like a house a fire.
4 shots 100 yds with the northfork 300 ss.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranch: Not sure I understand your post, what's an ifcd and did you finally wind up with a Lyman 38? Also can you sahre the load you used for those 300gr NFs ss( solids?) thanks, jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lee factory crimp die will likely cause more problems than it will cure. Given the accuracy you say you're getting with the factory buckhorns, that die won't do you any good.
That load was 57 grs of Rl12 in Hornady cases, lit up by cci large rifle primers, oal was right at 3.2, a very tight fit in the magazine.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranch13
I put a One Ragged Hole sight mounted on a spare winchester 94 rear sight.

[Linked Image]

Worked like a champ kept the clean lines, didn't get in the way and it shot like a house a fire.

Now that's an interesting idea!! Did you buy it or make it?

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I just found it on Brownells.

[Linked Image]

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=42777/pid=1539/sku/One_Hole_Sight_Win__Lever_Rifle
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1539/Product/ONE_HOLE_SIGHT
"Winchester � Includes one aperture: 7/64" (2.8mm) diameter. Fits rifle/carbine versions of models 92, 94/94AE, 9422. Also fits Model 9410 shotgun."

Is that it?

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you slip that sight over the current one? Regarding the Lee Die, it's worked in every other rifle I've used and the 300gr 411 was specifically designed for the 95 or so Barnes says. My OAL is exactly the same as yours and it goes into the mag no problem. Those groups are a lot better than mine!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the post 64 94 sights have a screw on either side of the rear "blade" that you can loosen to gain or decrease elevation adjustment. Installing the ORH sight you simply slide the original sight up and off and replace it with the ORH.
The Northfork 300 ss was designed with the 95 in mind as well. Don't know how the new owners are treating the bullets but when Mike ran the outfit they were nearly match quality.
Crimping straightwalled cases usually deteriorate accuracy...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranch: I've used NFs before and loved them as well. Mike and I have had many discussions smile Anyhow I went to the NF site and it says you have to seat the bullet BEYOND the last groove in order for it to fit the 95. Was that your experience as well? On the sight, I take it it won't fit over the existing buckhorn on the 95?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge my NF loads are pretty deep in the case. All the grooves are covered and the case mouth is almost to the ogive.
No the buckhorn on the 95's are a different deal. Should be able to get a 94 replacement sight from Brownells.

www.historicshooting.com
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.