-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I guess I need to order the 94 sight and it will fit in the 95's notch on the barrel. Appreciate all the help. jorge

Is this the rear sight I need?:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/04/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A post for Jorge of his .405 this am. He can provide the details.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Pugs. Well I think I'm there and this is with the factory installed sights. As you can see the elevation correction worked out nicely. 55.5gr of RL-15, Fed 210M primer and 300gr TSXs. MV right at 2250 with a TINY deviation of around 5 fps which is outstanding. OAL is exactly 3.20 leaving just a tiny space as far as mag lenght but I can fully load the mag. This is one sweet shooting and handling rifle that I might just have to take with me next time. I have a peep sight coming and I'll see how that works out because as you know, it's easy to screw up the sight picture with buckhorn sights.

I also have some North Forks on order but they'll have some big shoes to fill to outshoot the TSXs and I know they won't penetrate as well. What I hope is they'll shoot to the same POI then it'll be a nice option to have. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes that is the sight you need and the dovetail should fit, if not it will be a simple thing to fix it.
Penetration we don't need no stinking penetration..... [Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You do on Syncerus Caffer....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang!, Jorge. You're getting pretty good with that ol' fashioned shootin' iron! [Linked Image]

It sure looks like you've found a good load.

Sometimes it's just fun to do things the old fashioned way! grin

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep! It just gets more fun every day with this rifle. THANKS for giving me the idea to buy it smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmm... Some goodies to start pondering......

A classic, red recoil pad. A barrel band sling stud and an inletted stud in the buttstock to go with it. A peep sight with a nice white bead up front. (With a properly fitted and rust blued filler to go in the dovetail slot on the barrel where the rear sight mount was located.) A genuine hand-rubbed oil finish on the stock to really bring out the pattern and grain in the wood. The checkering recut by hand to clean up and sharpen the points and the pattern. grin grin grin

These are just some of the things that I'm contemplating having done to my rifle. It must all be part of the Rifle Loony "disease"!! grin grin

Oh wait!!!... I shouldn't have mentioned any of this because your wife is going to think that I'm even a worse influence than she already thinks I am!! grin grin grin grin

Cheers! smile
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Williams sight just got here. IT's buttflugly...But I love all the ideas above though!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by AMRA; 08/07/10.

Molan Labe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool indeed. I like the rear sight on yours, what is it? I just received a Williams peep but it looks like crap on my rifle. I might consider a shallow "V" express sight instead of the buckhorn it has now. jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
I have had no problem getting 2250 fps with North Fork bullets using VV N133 in my Miroku 1895 .405. In fact, the first trial batch walked me right up to that, so I stopped. They shoot to same point of impact as the Hornady 300 grain JFP factory loads; sweet.
At the same time, I achieved almost the same velocity and accuracy with Ramshot TAC, and am trying both powders again with 400 grain Hornadys and Woodleighs. All loads were compressed with a 24" drop tube.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
Universal Screw-On Ramp Front sight with 3/32 Ivory Bead
Masterpiece Fully Adjustable Rear Sight
Old style recoil pad
Robar Ind. NP3 finish
Sights regulated to 1 inch high at 100 yds.
All worked done by Fred Zeglin at
http://www.z-hat.com/
AMRA

Last edited by AMRA; 08/07/10.

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I just received a Williams peep but it looks like crap on my rifle. I might consider a shallow "V" express sight instead of the buckhorn it has now. jorge

Jorge,

Just passing this thought along:

After discussing the idea with Todd (my gunsmith), I'm considering having him simply hand file the factory buckhorn rear sight blade down to an express sight contour. File straight across the top of the blade until it's level with the sight notch (or thereabout). Might also need to open up the sight notch in order to match the size of a replacement white bead up front. Might make the rear sight notch a "V" like an express sight. Still kicking around ideas.

This approach has appeal to me as it keeps the basic rear sight assembly, making it look more period correct and authentic for the rifle, while getting rid of the buckhorn sight's "horns" and giving a better sight picture.

I got this idea after looking at one of the original photos of Osa Johnson that I purchased. I did a high-resolution scan (1200 dpi) of the photo and them zoomed in on the rear sight of her rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crshelton
Jorge,
I have had no problem getting 2250 fps with North Fork bullets using VV N133 in my Miroku 1895 .405. In fact, the first trial batch walked me right up to that, so I stopped. They shoot to same point of impact as the Hornady 300 grain JFP factory loads; sweet.
At the same time, I achieved almost the same velocity and accuracy with Ramshot TAC, and am trying both powders again with 400 grain Hornadys and Woodleighs. All loads were compressed with a 24" drop tube.

What was your load? I take it was 3.20 or thereabouts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: I'm definitively thinking that way but I also want to do all the other stuff you suggested. That other post showing sights also looked like they might work. Rifle is shooting FINE like it is, but I really need a better "focus" like a gold line in the center of the sight for faster aquisition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've just been poking around on the Marble Arms web site. I don't know any details about these sights yet (such as will they fit the barrel slot on a new Win 1895 properly, what height would be needed, etc.) but they look interesting.

[Linked Image]
Sporting Rear Sights
Sporting Rear Sight is available in over 20 various heights from .275 inches to .630 inches.
http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#95 Folding Sporting Rear
http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bullseye Sight
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
THe top one looks promising. Anyhow I'm going to hang onto the Williams jsut in case...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, the Williams sight is probably one of the best in terms of usability. (I've never used one so far.) It's just a shame that it detracts from the looks of the rifle, at least to my eye.

Anyway, I'm still mulling over ideas for my rifle. If I'm ever going to do any serious shooting or hunting with it, then I've got to come up with a better rear sight solution than the factory buckhorn rear sight. My tired old eyes just can't see that rear sight worth a darn; it's just a blur even when I'm wearing my prescription glasses.

I doubt if I could see any of those Marble rear sights any better since they would be in the same location on the barrel as the factory rear sight. I'll probably just end up going with the Williams peep sight as it puts the peep mush closer to the eye.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guys I have a new set of Lyman dies and Hornady50 brass an bullets for a 405. $100.00 for all sent to you thanks

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,805
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.