Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a visual issue with Iron sighted rifles of most varieties. The focal plane issue makes for a problem. I do admit that it would be faster with them but sadly it wont work for me.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Then, you really need to reconsider the rifle. If you can't go with a scout set-up, the Enfield is going to have the glass mounted very high for fast acquisition.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The rifle is what I have to work on, it will be a dual purpose kind of rifle as im sure my girlfriend will haul it into a tree stand or blind. Im really wanting to capitalize on the quick bolt throw of the SMLE. A raised cheek piece may help with the scope height issues?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A nice big ghost ring sight might work for you Po.

You don't have to focus on the rear ghost ring at all since your eye will automatically find the center. The front sight and the target are all you have to focus on.

How does your girlfriend do with iron sights?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
She does ok but her experience with center fire rifles is very limited, this will be a starter rifle for her and if she shows interest I will build her a better rifle. Obviously then id like to make the rifle fill a gap in my battery so it goes to use later on. The idea of a cheap rifle that points well and delivers a hard hitting bigger bullet than my other rifles is appealing to me. How does one mount the ghost ring sights?

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
The rifle is what I have to work on, it will be a dual purpose kind of rifle as im sure my girlfriend will haul it into a tree stand or blind. Im really wanting to capitalize on the quick bolt throw of the SMLE. A raised cheek piece may help with the scope height issues?

The raised cheekpiece won't do much. I have one with a Fajen sporter stock, one with a monte carlo stock, and one with the ATI synthetic stock. All three raise the cheekpiece a good bit, but the mounts required still put the scope very high.

I can understand wanting to use the fast bolt throw, but you're handicapping yourself more with the scope height than you're gaining or could gain with the bolt throw.

I'm likely one of the biggest fans of the Enfield rifle you're going to find, but scope friendly, it is not - esp. for low-profile, quick acquisition set-ups. The only caveat to that would be the scout system, and I've not played with that one yet.

I'd suggest trying the irons, or building off another rifle. A Marlin 336/1984, or a Winchester 1984 is still about the fastest out there, and one set-up for a scope would be cheap and easy to do. Likewise, the Remington 760/7600s are another superb option.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Im looking for a low power scope with a quick acquisition type reticle. A dot or circle/crosshair combo would be great, maybe a post? What do you guys prefer?

Leupy 1-4. Or the 1.5-5.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
VA Im sure youre correct but im gonna go on with this one. I do wish I had the funds to build her something different to shoot but the enfield is about it right now. Shes shy of my .270s due to another persons "expert advice". How high does the scope mount exactly?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can be mounted just like any other receiver mounted sights.

They make many different types ranging from cheap to really expensive.

Check out the Brownells website at www.brownells.com

Don't mind the prices you'll see there because I get dealer pricing at Brownells. If you see something you like PM me.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Leupold M8 2.5x compact with heavy duplex.

+1 a bunch...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by nsaqam
They can be mounted just like any other receiver mounted sights.

They make many different types ranging from cheap to really expensive.

Check out the Brownells website at www.brownells.com

Don't mind the prices you'll see there because I get dealer pricing at Brownells. If you see something you like PM me.

Bullschit.

The height is GOING to be there.

But, carry on.

I do have to wonder, though, how much $$$ is going into sporterizing the Enfield (stock? Barrel chop?) in addition to the mounts, rings, scope, etc.

Last time I checked, used 94s and 336s weren't expensive.

Well, whatever. Have fun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Leupold M8 2.5x compact with heavy duplex.

+1 a bunch...

Or Weaver K2.5 will work also

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The fastest sight set-up on that you're going to find is the rear sight already on it, if it's a No.4. If it's a No.1, have it D&T'd for a Williams Fool-Proof receiver sight.

You're the one who recommended a peepsight.

I'm saying a huge ghost ring type aperature on it would be good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, now I see where my post was confusing.

I was referring to a ghost ring aperature sight and not a scope mount.

Sorry for the confusion.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No problem.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Im sporterizing a .303 british for my girlfriend to shoot and want it to fill the 0 to 120 yard range gap in my battery. I believe ill have the barrel shortened to 22 inches and want a scope that fits these needs. All my other rifles have heavy duplex or fine duplex. I would like something more suited to shooting moving game at closer ranges or just for quick shots.
.............For your use, 0 to 120 yards on a rifle which the barrel will be shortened, then a fast, lower power, both eyes open target acquisition and aiming scope is just the ticket.

For a fixed power, the 8 oz 2.5x20 Leupy FX11 Ultralite would be my top pick.

For a variable, the 9.5 oz 1.5-5x20 VX3 Leupy VX111 or VX3 would be my top pick. Have this one on my 375 Ruger Alaskan.

They both have very good FOVs, are fast targeting and very lightweight! You can also get a fixed 4x FX2. But I would certainly not exceed 4x for a fixed scope.

You can also spend more bucks and get the lower variable Trijicon.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Every one has a favorite,but I have found it doesn't matter all that much so long as(at least for me) the power does not go above 4X....which scope works has pretty much been a function of what's on the rifle at the time these random opportunities pop up.

I like the 3X leupold,the 1-4,and 1.5-5X.The 4X Leupold has worked well,as has the 2-7.I have never used a heavy duplex and have had no issues with a standard duplex.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
my favorite - Leupold 1.5-5

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It was too nasty to work outside this afternoon so I went shed hunting. I carried a rifle with me in case I happened to run into a coyote. Didn't see any 'yotes but I jumped 20-30 random whitetails.
The deer were busting like pheasants at 30-50 yards as it was so windy they couldn't hear/smell me walking through the brush. Of course I practiced aiming at a few and didn't have any trouble finding stationary deer in the 6x42 Leupold, running deer were tougher and no doubt that's where a 2-4x would work alot better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam they do for me.... smile And I "worry" about those shots you might have had today a good deal more than I worry about LR.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.