-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
I am new to the Campfire. I hunting in 2008 with Chifuti Safaris for Leopard/Buffalo and PG. I took my oldest son with me as an observer. It was a 14 day hunt. The first two days we hunted out of their main camp on the Zambezi. Then we moved to a tented camp on the Chewore River for 10 days then back to the main camp for the final two.

We had the time of our lives. It was our second hunt to Africa. The first was a PG hunt in SA in 2004. I took an awesome cat on day 7. We had 8 baits up. All 8 were hit by the time we left. I sat in a blind on the 4th day and watched a small male feed for about 15 minutes. One morning, walking up to another bait, we watched a female feed for a few minutes before she got down. I also took a 40" buffalo, a huge Hippo bull, a bushbuck, a trophy Impala, two baboons and my son shot a Kudu bull, and a couple of baboons.

Ian Gibson, was my PH. Could not have asked for a better PH. I would hunt with him tomorrow if given the chance. The camps were great and the food was excellant. Our hunt was the last two weeks of July. PG were not the most plentiful. A Zebra and Hyena were the only animals I wanted to take that I did not. Did not have an opprotunity at either.

I would recommend Chifuti to anyone. Their area is a great wild DG area. Great camps, staff and PH's.

GB1

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80
I am new to the Campfire. I hunting in 2008 with Chifuti Safaris for Leopard/Buffalo and PG. I took my oldest son with me as an observer. It was a 14 day hunt. The first two days we hunted out of their main camp on the Zambezi. Then we moved to a tented camp on the Chewore River for 10 days then back to the main camp for the final two.

We had the time of our lives. It was our second hunt to Africa. The first was a PG hunt in SA in 2004. I took an awesome cat on day 7. We had 8 baits up. All 8 were hit by the time we left. I sat in a blind on the 4th day and watched a small male feed for about 15 minutes. One morning, walking up to another bait, we watched a female feed for a few minutes before she got down. I also took a 40" buffalo, a huge Hippo bull, a bushbuck, a trophy Impala, two baboons and my son shot a Kudu bull, and a couple of baboons.

Ian Gibson, was my PH. Could not have asked for a better PH. I would hunt with him tomorrow if given the chance. The camps were great and the food was excellant. Our hunt was the last two weeks of July. PG were not the most plentiful. A Zebra and Hyena were the only animals I wanted to take that I did not. Did not have an opprotunity at either.

I would recommend Chifuti to anyone. Their area is a great wild DG area. Great camps, staff and PH's.

If this hunt was on the Zambezi River and in Chewore, it was Chewore North. Chewore South is not on the Zambezi River, fyi.

I haven't hunted Chewore North, but have been told it is a fine place to hunt buff, ele etc...

JPK

J
J
I did not say it was Chewore North or South. Their main camp IS on the Zambezi River and that is where we spent our middle 10 days. I do agree that it is a fine area for buffalo.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80
I did not say it was Chewore North or South. Their main camp IS on the Zambezi River and that is where we spent our middle 10 days. I do agree that it is a fine area for buffalo.

Jayhawk80,

So then, if it was in Chewore then it was in Chewore North, which is on the river.

If it wasn't in Chewore at all, but was in the Zambezi Valley, it could have been in Dande North, north of Chewore North or in Sapi, Nyakasanga or Rifa, all south of Chewore North and all of which are on the river and have camps on the river.

Rifa is a smaller concession and I don't believe that Chifuti has run hunts from there, if so they would have had to sublet from the concession holder.

Nyakasanga is an auction area and the gov't owned camps are rough, though outfitters can make things decent enough for the two week auction hunts.

Sapi is also an auction are, but in, I think, 2006 and/or 2007 Chifuti bought all of the hunts (and built their own camps,) which is no longer permitted.

Chewore North was Swainson Safaris' area for a long time, I think Charlton McCollum got it recently from Chifuti who had it for a year or two before acquiring Chewore South.

Do you know which area you hunted?

BTW, they are all pretty good or better for buff, with maybe Dande North trailing just a bit the others, from what I've been told. I have hunted Chewore South and Nyakasanga, been in Sapi and Rifa.

From the northeast, following the river to the southwest is Dande North, then Chewore North, Sapi, then Mana Pools Nat'l Park, which is also on the river, past the park is Nyakasanga and then Rifa. Charara is southwest of Rifa, but really fronts Lake Kariba, and it wouldn't be Chifuti's in any case.

I would like to hunt all of the concessions!

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05/25/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.