-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally got to do the initial burn in my Kifaru large stove inside my GoLite Shangri-La 8.

Been a little bit of a project connecting all the dots of getting the stove, purchasing the stove jack, finding someone to sew the stove jack into the tent (thanks Ryan for even installing a velcro removable silnylon patch when not using the tent with a stove as well as vent covers to help seal the heat in when needed), and eventually getting around to firing the thing up.

I posted about this tent last year under here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3118989/10_lb_wall_tent#Post3118989

If you want to know more about the setup click that link.

So now its ready for a cold rainy moose season if needed as I now have a way to dry out my gear and stay warm as well. The both the 9.5' wide X 19' long X 6' high tent and stove are just under 6 pounds apiece. Putting in the 3.5 pound bug netting and floor area inside makes for quite the spacious yet cozy bug free abode for only 15 lbs.

This just may be my new boat, wheeler, and even my 4 or more people backpacking setup. MUCH more room and even with the stove is about half the weight as my 6 man Cabelas Guide Model. Granted if above brushline and on a drop off or wheeler camping there won't be any fuel for a stove and weight won't be an issue in those instances so I'll keep the guide model, but I see this setup seeing a LOT more action than the guide model in the coming years.

Anyways, pretty excited here are a couple pics and yes my wife is just tolerating my excitment of setting up the tent in my backyard for the first burn to "set" the stove and pipe.

Getting ready to fire up the stove:
[Linked Image]

Stovejack and pipe from the inside:

[Linked Image]

My wife doing her best to act excited about the whole thing :
[Linked Image]

Getting the fire going now:
[Linked Image]

The beast of a tent and stove all up and running and nice and toasty inside:
[Linked Image]

Yeah I'm a gear nerd but I hope some of you enjoyed the pics.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

alaska lanche:

I remember seeing your first post on the ShangiLa-8 + 4-man Nest. I thought it looked great then and it's even better now. I have saved the URLs for both posts and some day I'm gonna plagiarize your idea and get my own setup just like yours.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cool. Don't know if you saw my tipi thread, but if you want that to have a tight pitch, I give directions on how to make it happen here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...4019369/5/Tipi_with_a_wood_burner_is_on_

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hardcorehunter,

Yeah I saw your thread, nice looking setup no doubt. I was going for a little ventilation for the first burn as I didn't know what exactly to expect with being smoked out or what so I initially started out with a 6" gap all the way around the bottom of the tent and then when I got more comfortable with the stove burning and everything I lowered it to roughly half of that. Pretty easy really to raise and lower how much of a gap or lack there of between the tent and the ground with these adjustable poles and staking points.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sent go lite a email today and showed them my links to my sl 5. I also told them that they need to come out with a sl 8 tipi, and even a sl 24 like kifaru has. I would love to also have a sl in a 8 man configure tipi style like I have, just bigger for large party.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hardcore,

GoLite discontinued the SL 8+ and the SL 6+ at the end of last year. Both the 6+ & the 8+ were like the SL 2, an A-Frame style.

I would expect GoLite to tell you you should never use a stove in your SL 5. I don't ever see them advocating using a stove of any sort in their shelters.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, too bad the largest they make is a 5-man now. With a stove thats really a 2 or 3 man in a tipi style. That is one advantage of the twin peak style GoLite Shangri-Las. They actually hold the number of people or more they are rated for even with a stove. Whereas a 5 man tipi is really only a 3 man with a stove. Slept 5 in just the 4 man nest comfortably last year and could easily fit 3 or more in the front half even with the stove and still have room for packs and gear in the front and rear vestibules. Granted you give up wind stability, but I'm not thinking of bringing this tent above tree line with at stove as there isn't much use for a stove if you are away from the trees/wood/fuel source. laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ed,

Thanks for giving me the idea to put a stove in this thing. Your advice and expertise in the whole ordeal sure came in handy. If ya feel the need to come up to AK for a hunt let me know if you need a packer. wink

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Luke,

I'll take you up on that one of these years!

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea Ed, they are probably worried about liability. I don't care if they don't put stove jacks in them, I'll do it myself, I just want an 8, 10, or even bigger person go lite tipi to have for gits and shiggles. I sent the email late this afternoon, I'll see what they say.

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/10/10.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's always the CAPT-14 (Cheap-Ass Parachute Tipi-14). Tipi alone weighs 12 lbs. Spray it w/ camp-kote in the garden sprayer and it's good for a season.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huskyrunnr
There's always the CAPT-14 (Cheap-Ass Parachute Tipi-14). Tipi alone weighs 12 lbs. Spray it w/ camp-kote in the garden sprayer and it's good for a season.
That's pretty cool.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you have a sewing machine and a weeks worth of evenings to spare you could make yourself a 24 man tipi. I made myself one that is 25' x 25' x 12' tall last summer. It packs down to about 12x20x20. I used treaded pipe for the center support since i will just be using it for base camping. Also added a stove (K-Artic sized and just bought 6" flue pipe from home depot) It ended up very afordable. The tipi cost about $200 in material stove was about $300 pipe was $50. I took it on a mule deer hunt last year and it was the most enjoyable trip I tink I ever had in a tent. Absolute palace. We had 2 Cots, 2 tables, 3 coolers 2 camp chairs, and seveal storage totes in it, and still had loads of room to walk around. We spliced the center pole togeter with threaded "Ts" , so we could screw in cloths/lantern hangers onto it.

On the next trip we are going to bring the shower shelter inside also. It was 35 outside and 85 inside.

Heated Tipi's are the best!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Your welcome Luke, looks good, 'cept that little wrinkle of fabric in the jack thats going to want to funnel water, oops. Dap some sealer in there for me will ya smile

One thing I've learned about that stove is to split everything, even as small as the little spruce round you have pictured. It will help to avoid wild temperature swings and rogue sparks, FYI.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 05/11/10.

Ahh, nice marmot
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great set up. I should have purchased an SL-8 before they were discontinued. Now I'll be looking for a used one.

I love that your wife tags along on the initial burn. Wifely support is key to fun outdoors.

Your set up with the SL-4 nest and the stove will be the Cadillac of tents.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It looks like there are a few SL 8's out there yet. This one is $100 off

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/golite/shelter/golite-shangri-la-8-shelter.html

Looks to be a great deal. Too Bad they are being discontinued!

D
D
That's a great shelter!

How did you attach the vent cover? I have an SL4 that I want to do the same thing to.

Thanks
Dan

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Dan, I sewed the cover into that shelter. Its just velcro up the sides and across the bottom of the vent. Then made a sil cover much like the Ti Jack cover with velcro and grossgrain trim. Its a nice touch and helps a bunch in cold weather.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 05/12/10.

Ahh, nice marmot
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bwortman
It looks like there are a few SL 8's out there yet. This one is $100 off

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/golite/shelter/golite-shangri-la-8-shelter.html

Looks to be a great deal. Too Bad they are being discontinued!

Thanks for the link--I tried it, but the site says they aren't for sale. I'm guessing its out of stock and they just haven't modified the website.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dan_G
That's a great shelter!

How did you attach the vent cover? I have an SL4 that I want to do the same thing to.

Thanks
Dan

Dan, I had vent covers installed in my SL-4. Photos at: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Vent_Covers_Thanks_Ed_T_fo#Post3966168.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.