Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Did New Haven ever make the Classic (CRF) Featherweight in 7x57?

In preparing for this switch I took the time to study all of the Winchester catalogs from 1965 to present. What that revealed about the modern-era M70 Featherweights is:

� The modern-era M70 Featherweight was introduced by Winchester in 1981
� Winchester cataloged the M70 Featherweight in 7x57 (7mm Mauser) only from 1981 through 1985
� All Featherweights from 1981 through 1990 were push-feed models.
� The controlled-round-feed bolt was re-introduced in the M70 Featherweight in 1991-92.

So, no CRF post-64 M70 Featherweights were ever cataloged in 7x57. Whether any were ever made, such as through a custom order by an individual or a distributor, is anyone�s guess.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Timberline; 05/14/10.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing your journey and acquisition with us - great photos, too! You mentioned that some of the weight difference was due to the actions themselves; is the 7x57 on Winchester's short (really it's an intermediate) action? Second, if not, and it's a full-length action, why didn't you just have the .280 rebarrelled?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by John_G
Thanks for sharing your journey and acquisition with us - great photos, too! You mentioned that some of the weight difference was due to the actions themselves; is the 7x57 on Winchester's short (really it's an intermediate) action? Second, if not, and it's a full-length action, why didn't you just have the .280 rebarrelled?

The actions seem to be the same length - long. However, other action dimensions may have changed somewhat over the ten years or so that separated the two rifles.

Re-barreling the .280 to 7x57 was a viable option. To be honest, though, I sort of hate to mess with these older rifles, altering them to fit my passing whims when so many others would prefer to have them in their original state. I guess I feel somehow more comfortable passing that .280 Featherweight on to someone who will love it as it was made, rather than chopping it up and making it into something that it was not. From time to time we all come across older rifles that were dramatically altered by their owners with recoil pads, garish stock carvings, inlays, muzzle breaks and just about anything else one can think of. In so many of those cases the original flavor of the gun was forever lost. I try hard not to commit such flagrant offenses. While re-barreling may not quite be in that category, I can�t help but think it may be close. If I wanted a 7x57 in CRF, I believe I�d have been much better served � and so would the rifle world - by re-barreling a brand new FN Winchester M70 Featherweight and not an older, somewhat vintage, somewhat rare-chambering rifle. Re-barrel the old junkers. Re-barrel new rifles. But leave the hard-to-find vintage shooters pretty much alone. We are, after all, merely temporary custodians of these older rifles. At least that�s my view of the subject. Others are certainly free to do whatever they want.

Does that make any sense?

Last edited by Timberline; 05/14/10.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Timberline,

I was trying to find the words, but you nailed it! Well done.

I always pass on rifles who's barrels are not factory original. Who knows what kind of barrel is on there, who put it on there, if the headspace is right, if it's threaded right or assembled correctly. I just don't trust them.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Timberline
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

With respect, love of the 7x57 is not about velocity. It's about a wholly adequate hunting cartridge. It's about a cartridge with a longer [successful] history than most. It's about low recoil. It's about balance, versatility, and performance. It's about perfection.

It seems to me, too, that Big Redhead�s 7x57 assessment is pretty much spot on. Well, maybe the use of the word �perfection� is a wee bit over the top and sends us sloshing around in the 7x57 Kool-Aid bowl. But Big Redhead�s overall point is quite valid. At its recoil level (which is surprisingly mild), little else seems to be able to touch the 7x57 in terms of actual performance on game.

I particularly like the part about "sloshing around in the 7x57 Kool-Aid bowl." LOL! smile That's classic.

But please allow me to use the superlative, "perfect." I have spent a lot of money and a lifetime of buying, loading, shooting, and selling rifles in pursuit of the 'perfect' deer rifle. Now that I've found it, please don't deny me the pleasure. And I still like Kool-Aid too - for chasing cheap whiskey. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Timberline,
Well written and interesting, but I'm sorry I read your posts. I was content with the rifles I currently own, but now feel the need to start looking for a lightweight 7x57.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I'd love a 7X57, but as Bob in NH stated earlier it's hard to justify when one (or more) of the other middles in the stable. Nice write up though. Did I mention I'd love a 7X57?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome write up. Seems like your 7x57 is really a great hunting rifle. Might have to keep my eyes open for one. Scotty

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice to see this post surface again, I sure miss Bill and his write-ups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by handwerk
Nice to see this post surface again, I sure miss Bill and his write-ups.

Many may not know, but Bill passed away this past January.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't know. Great writer. Just did some searching on the 7x57 in a M70 and his article kept popping up. Scotty

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.