Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
OK, I see that I should have refreshed the screen before blathering on! As Emily used to say on SNL 'Never Mind'!

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
make THEM pay
I mis-spoke: they WILL pay it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
they tried this here but have stop after they found out they couldn't collect the fines, don't remember the legal reason just know they could not enforce it

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I imagine the legality of this is strictly state by state and even community by community. I never liked the idea of tickets by camera and certainly still don't. I wasn't even aware they had any in Iowa but sure am now.

Are there any Iowa attorneys who have any information about this around?

I'm not opposed to having my kids pay this based on the principal, but it does stink when it is so razor close as to an is or isn't validity.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some cities have reduced the length of the yellow light by several seconds to increase revenue. The result has been a huge increase in the number of rear end collisions as drivers hit the brakes.

I lucked out in Portland a couple months ago. I was halfway through an intersection when the guy in front of me decided to make a left without signaling. I got caught by a red as a result. They must not have had the camera turned on as they're famous for tickets in that situation.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Make out a check for the fine, take a picture of it and send them the pic of the check.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Rick...try the case. They're easy cases to win in court. Read the front and back of all paperwork you received. You might even be able to beat the thing by a simple affidavit.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Make out a check for the fine, take a picture of it and send them the pic of the check.
Yeah, I heard of that happening before. Didn't the good-natured cops send them a picture of handcuffs back? Gotta love that dungeon based humor.

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by isaac
Rick...try the case. They're easy cases to win in court. Read the front and back of all paperwork you received. You might even be able to beat the thing by a simple affidavit.
I may if I find anything in the law in Iowa that might give me an edge. I see some states require a clear facial picture of the driver. That was not supplied with my info: just a nondescript back of the head shot where you really can't even tell it's a head. If a face pic is required, I win easy.

But if not, or some other loop-hole is not apparent to me, if I fight it and lose they will file a civil infraction that costs 85 bucks in filing fees, assess a court document service fee of an unreported amount, and assess any additional costs if found liable. I'm sure that is in addition to the 75 bucks they claim I owe now.

They certainly know how to stack a deck and deal off the bottom. More reasons to love our government at all levels.

I do see they say at the bottom of the last page they say this is not a moving violation, even though he was moving, and it will not be assessed to a driving record or sent to insurance companies. Just pay the 75 bucks, shut up, and thanks, chump. Legal extortion.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the current traffic ticket scam here has to do with the law that states you have to pull into the other lane, or slow down to 20 mph less than what is posted, if a cop is on the side of the road with another car pulled over.

I agree with the law, and it covers fire/rescue, wreckers and DOT workers as well.

HOWEVER, here, the police have seized on the law to pull bait and ticket scams. They will have one cop on the side of the road with a fake traffic stop. Then they have a number of other cars hidden, and if they feel you did not pull over quick enough into the other lane, or did not slow down enough, they scream out and pull ya over.

I believe the ticket is just over $200, and of course, the cops get the money.

The points go on your license, so your insurance goes up.

Yesterday, between Alachua and Gainesville on US 441, they wrote over 125 tickets in a few hours................

Sam......

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Rick...did someone other than you actually run the red light?? I tell my kids that not running red lights is another way to stop unreasonable governmental intrusion.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Yes, I'm certain my son was driving the car. It was senor skip day and he was late to a breakfast meeting with his class buds. It all falls in place now that I look at the time and the calendar. It's gonna cost him more than a cold breakfast. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
this why i believe they stopped trying to collect them here

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DAMMIT Sam, the cops DO NOT get the money, the court does and shares it with the county and state. The COPS DO NOT GET THE MONEY SIR!!!!!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
DAMMIT Sam, the cops DO NOT get the money, the court does and shares it with the county and state. The COPS DO NOT GET THE MONEY SIR!!!!!

Either way, it is still money wasted.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Here a photo ticket doe NOT go on anyones personal driving record. It is a fine assessed to the vehicle and has NO bearing for insurance purposes.

Its all about revenue and milking the social cows.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if this helps Ricky but by Iowa code you are required to stop on a yellow if it's safe to do so and you are not already in the intersection. I did not know Des Moines was running light cameras but the western suburbs are. I heard Cedar Rapids has both the traffic light cameras and radar speed cameras. My brother in law has been hit with both.
Here is Iowa Traffic code 321.257 para 2 b

b. A "steady circular yellow" or "steady yellow arrow" light means vehicular traffic is warned that the related green movement is being terminated and vehicular traffic shall no longer proceed into the intersection and shall stop. If the stop cannot be made in safety, a vehicle may be driven cautiously through the intersection.

Our judges have decided that if you enter the intersection and the light is green and it changes to yellow while you are in the intersection, you are safe and can continue. If the light is yellow before you enter the intersection you have to stop or make a reasonable attempt to stop. Once fully stopped, you may continue if it's safe and need to clear the intersection. Good luck.

We have a couple of intersections here in Ankeny that need cameras and more enforcement just to video the accidents that we know are going to happen. kwg

PS. Our traffic ticket fines goes to the courts, the state and what's left over goes to the city general fund and NONE goes back to the PD. kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 05/13/10.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE

dammit Terry, the POLICE DEPARTMENT DOES GET THE MONEY

I did not say that the individual police participating in the fleecing of the rubes is actually putting money in their pockets. shocked

A huge part of local government is paid for with shared ticket money. The issuing agency shares with the State and others. With money in short supply, cops just write more tickets.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/13/10.

Sam......

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
I don't know if this helps Ricky but by Iowa code you are required to stop on a yellow if it's safe to do so and you are not already in the intersection. I did not know Des Moines was running light cameras but the western suburbs are. I heard Cedar Rapids has both the traffic light cameras and radar speed cameras. My brother in law has been hit with both.
Here is Iowa Traffic code 321.257 para 2 b

b. A "steady circular yellow" or "steady yellow arrow" light means vehicular traffic is warned that the related green movement is being terminated and vehicular traffic shall no longer proceed into the intersection and shall stop. If the stop cannot be made in safety, a vehicle may be driven cautiously through the intersection.

Our judges have decided that if you enter the intersection and the light is green and it changes to yellow while you are in the intersection, you are safe and can continue. If the light is yellow before you enter the intersection you have to stop or make a reasonable attempt to stop. Once fully stopped, you may continue if it's safe and need to clear the intersection. Good luck.

We have a couple of intersections here in Ankeny that need cameras and more enforcement just to video the accidents that we know are going to happen. kwg

PS. Our traffic ticket fines goes to the courts, the state and what's left over goes to the city general fund and NONE goes back to the PD. kwg
I will so advise my children. Of course, nothing like this would ever happen to me. whistle

grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kwg020

So where do you think the PD gets their funds from?
That's right, the general fund

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.