Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Once you have tried a 25-06 with a 75 gr Sierra or Hornady HP at 3600 fps everything else is like oatmeal without brown sugar. grin
We called it "launching" them not shooting them!
I heard a 340 Weatherby with 250 gr Noslers works ok too!
I wasn't there that day but I heard it from a reliable source.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
40 gr V max out of a swift. Turns crows into mulch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have to agree the 40gr vmax is pure death on what ever it touches

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
WranglerJohn: Your quote:

"The rats simply vanished - gone - reduced to pink spots of goo over a large circle. Some that didn't vaporize were unfolded with just the skin and pink froth remaining. The bullet impact went though the rat and cut little tunnels through the alfalfa just like a tunnel boring machine was at work. The alfalfa was shredded as if it went through a blender. I heard the "pumpkin splat" sound of each impact as if a firecracker went off. So, grab a box of 62 grain 6mm Varmint Grenades, a 1:8" twist barrel and load 'em up to 3,800 fps or more and have some fun. Just remember, that bullet with a powdered metal core is spinning at 342,000 rpm, so when it hits and comes apart, strange things happen".

It appears to me you are having entirely to much fun out there and you are entirely to intense when it comes to your Varmint Hunting!
Just funnin ya!
I hope your savage custom and you have many more decades of fun afield together!
"Reduced to pink spots of goo" - I am just grinnin at that line.
Keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by luke
40 gr V max out of a swift. Turns crows into mulch.

"Now that's funny right thar... I don't care who ya are..."

I think most of us could enjoy that...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Just came back from shooting Oregon sage rats with new .243 WSSM barrel on a Savage custom. Used 62 grain Varmint Grenade with max load of Hunter powder. This is the singularly most explosive varmint bullet / cartridge combination I ever used. The rats simply vanished - gone - reduced to pink spots of goo over a large circle. Some that didn't vaporize were unfolded with just the skin and pink froth remaining. The bullet impact went though the rat and cut little tunnels through the alfalfa just like a tunnel boring machine was at work. The alfalfa was shredded as if it went through a blender. I heard the "pumpkin splat" sound of each impact as if a firecracker went off. So, grab a box of 62 grain 6mm Varmint Grenades, a 1:8" twist barrel and load 'em up to 3,800 fps or more and have some fun. Just remember, that bullet with a powdered metal core is spinning at 342,000 rpm, so when it hits and comes apart, strange things happen.

Now that really would have been something fun to see..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've learned to bounce one right in front of a sage rat or prairie dog.. as the bullet fragments and then hits the varmint.. you really have a big mess then...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 52 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.