Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My bet is that a 180-grain .30 Ballistic Tip would out-penetrate a 180 DeepCurl. The 180 BT has the really heavy jacket they used to put on the 200-grain .338, and penetrates quite deeply.

I haven't tested that, and might have to--but I am pretty certain that's what would happen.

Does the 165 GR .308 BT. also have the "heavy" jacket?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked about the cupped base at SHOT. Deep Curl is a plated bullet, and the cupped base is due to the second sizing strike (post-plating). The plating is similar to their Gold Dot technology, but much thicker. The second sizing strike corrects any diameter variation.

Think of them as having 100% molecular bonded jackets if "plating" bothers you.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SLM,

Not to my knowledge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a rifle doesn't shoot BT's well, there's probably something wrong with the rifle.

Big +1.........and they're fairly cheap, so I generally use them for load development even if I intend to shoot something else.

Been that way for a good long time.

MM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DanAdair
JB, do you think if a guy was a good enough rifleman to put a 180 Deep Curl at 2750 FPS into an Elks vitals, that the Elk would die??

Or would the Elk die, and we'd be discussing "Bullet Failure" again?

Dan, I'm not JB, but I would take that shot with any hunting type, and a few non-hunting type bullets, and I'd wager the farm that you'd still have a dead elk.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I totally agree.

One of the problems with evaluating bullet performance is the current preoccupation with shooting animals from any angle.

As I have pointed out before on the Campfire, I know a lot of people who have managed to keep elk steaks in the freezer for many years without ever shooting an elk in the ass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John, if you keep agreeing with me, you're going to have to come over for a moose steak. smile

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am not sure I know anymore about these new bullets..I do no the old ones worked great for the most part, but now there bonding anything that goes down a barrel.Not sure that is a good thing if not done right.

I think the old Hot Core was a good bullet,yet no choices now..Whether the jacket separates and causes massive damage or the front of a Nosler blows off,,They were killing machines if put in the right spot.

Times are changing just like bullets even if they weren't broke.

Jayco

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rman,

Thanks very much for the tentative invitation!

Or you could come down here for a moose steak. We still have meat from two moose--and one was from Alberta.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I'm gonna try 'em out too but I just wish the folks at Speer had come up with a different name.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I asked them about the name I was told Deep Curl had somethng to do with Sheep Horns. Big Horn Sheep I assume.

Mark in GA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of the problems with evaluating bullet performance is the current preoccupation with shooting animals from any angle.

..........and expecting complete penetration as the measure of successful bullet performance.

To say nothing of the animal dropping in its tracks w/o taking a step.

LOL

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It marches in lock step with the disgust at getting "only" one inch groups, "only" 3,000 fps, and "only" 300 yards of point-blank range.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
navlav8r,

I have heard that during a brain-storming session, somebody suggested that the new bullet be called the "Fusion," but the Speer public relations people rejected that idea immediately.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB...Do you think this is an improvement over the Hot-Cor?

It would seem they really could have arrived at a better name, the current one sure doesn't make me think of bullets....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Full curl or deep throat, but deep curl? wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
65x54,

Yeah, I think they're an improvement over the Hot-Cores. From what I have seen the DC is more accurate, on average, and expansion and weight retention are more consistent.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks JB, I'm sure I'll give them a try. The 145 gr hot-cor in a 7x57 has always been a great combination. We'll see how the replacement does.
I know that any manufacturer is looking for cheaper ways to produce product, somtimes the product can be better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As I have pointed out before on the Campfire, I know a lot of people who have managed to keep elk steaks in the freezer for many years without ever shooting an elk in the ass.

smile LOL! That's funny.

I don't think there are many guys that would prefer "shooting an elk in the ass" smile but I definitely am 'preoccupied' with deep penetration through heavy muscle and bone. It's mostly because I am not perfect (I know, that's a shocker) and my bullets sometimes don't land where I'm trying to make them land. I also hate to pass-up a shot at a good animal just because he is not 'perfectly broadside.' I also actually like to hit them in the shoulder. I have shot a couple animals in the ass, but not by choice. Fortunately, my bullets were up to the task (after learning the lesson the hard way) and I recovered those animals.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I totally agree.

<laughing>

That'd be a "rear shoulder shot", not an ass shot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.