-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's why many want it here, myself included. The 2 any season bucks really has a negative effect on any older age structure. Shoot, as you say a dink (some here call it the mulligan tag), get another tag and head back out. No selectivity and it shows. Our DNR being financed primarily by license and permit fees sure isn't about to give up their cash cow combo tag either. It's a shame, we have some good looking bucks when they reach maturity.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Joe
Great, another crappy deer season, I can't wait, maybe I'll save up and hunt in Kansas or something instead. I like living in Wisconsin but I friggin' our DNR, those guys are retards.

I've been scheduling out-of-state/country hunts to coincide with our deer season for years. grin

roundoak-
Add Whelen Nut and I to your list of landowners not allowing hunting during those periods. Sure, it's not in the same management unit but it's a start, and a lot of room in betwixed to add to the lockup. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The DNR needs to get the message. Quit buying license's. It's the ONLY way they will even think about listening.

The recent "teaming" with the HSUS is a slap in the face to us hunters and fisherman. Don't think for one second they don't know that either.

Wisconsin is regulating hunting and fishing so they won't have to make it illegal. They'll just make it so we won't want to do it anymore.

It's working too, I'm not doing it here.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the same complaints we hear in PA, since the decision was finally made to lower herd numbers in 2000.

It was great while it lasted, but we once did have far too many deer here and it never should've been allowed to happen. Unlike WI, we haven't been hit with CWD...yet. It's on both sides of us, north and south, as CWD has been confirmed in NY and WV.

I can only comment on a friend's observations, who lives in Dane County, WI. He recounted how the doe were slaughtered some years ago, in efforts to quickly reduce deer numbers due to CWD in that area. According to him, deer hunting hasn't been the same since. But I haven't heard him complain much about the changes.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that the two buck tag has to go. My objection to Wisconsin style is that you aren't legal until an agent of the State touches his toe to your dead deer. It is a useless expense to the State and the hunter, and a needless burden to the hunter.

Last edited by Youper; 05/24/10. Reason: spelling

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
After last year I posted here that I'd not be buying a deer license for the '10 gun deer hunt. Today I'm on the fence. It's just a bitcch not hunting when its in the blood to do so, seeing no deer in the daylight be damned. See, by me they've become very nocturnal. Then there is the wolf thing too. Ahhhhhhhh chit!

Roundoak, thanks for your service during that VAC to Vietnam. Hope you get to 70 seasons.

GOA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Lots of states where you can hunt and see deer durring shooting hours.

didn't say I'm not going to hunt, that will only happen when I'm dead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

The recent "teaming" with the HSUS is a slap in the face to us hunters and fisherman. Don't think for one second they don't know that either.

what is this all about? never heard about this before.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Isnt michigans rifle season start in prime rut. correct me if im wrong, but thats what i thought.

If You Can Count Your Guns....... You Dont Have Enough.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
2009 was my first year in 35 missing WI 9 day season and 2010 will be my 2nd in 35. Over half those years were non-resident! I'm done until they get their [bleep] together!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Youper
I agree that the two buck tag has to go. My objection to Wisconsin style is that you aren't legal until an agent of the State touches his toe to your dead deer. It is a useless expense to the State and the hunter, and a needless burden to the hunter.

Some like, others dislike mandatory check in. The way we do it I've seen the OH (they're check in also I believe) BG biologist state is a better system but I couldn't say either way. Check in would be a hassle at times I'm sure.

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
Isnt michigans rifle season start in prime rut. correct me if im wrong, but thats what i thought.

Yep, starts Nov 15th every year statewide, no matter what day it falls on. Some are open (myself included) to changing it and moving it up but many aren't and state it's tradition. It goes until the 30th so it's a full two weeks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by tzone

what is this all about? never heard about this before.

There is a thread on the "campfire" forum that explains it better than I can. However, they did team with HSUS. You might have to read that twice, it made no sense to me at all either.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So. The DNR has joined forces with the HSUS. Interesting, when seeing how they have asked for wolves in WI to be delisted and the HSUS is 100% against it. Slight conflict of interest, bald faced liars or typical WIDNR? A boycott is one of the few ways to kick them square in the nuts. IF there are any public hearings, the participation of hunters is key, as is the continued effort to publicize this garbage.

http://www.fox21online.com/news/wisconsin-dnr-asks-feds-remove-wolf-endangered-species-list

Wisconsin DNR asks feds to remove wolf from endangered list
Created Apr 28 2010 - 1:29pm
By Chuck Quirmbach, Wisconsin Public Radio

MADISON (WPR) The DNR is again asking the federal government to take the grey wolf off the endangered species list in Wisconsin.

The long-running debate over protection of the grey wolf has restarted. The DNR says the latest estimates indicate there are more than 700 wolves in Wisconsin, or more than twice the state's original management goal for the animal. DNR mammal ecologist Adrian Wydeven says wolves are doing very well in the state.

The problems include wolves attacking livestock and dogs. The DNR would like to have the option of euthanizing problem wolves, but can't as long as the wolf remains on the endangered species list. So, the DNR has copied a recent de-listing request by Minnesota and asked the Interior Department to de-list the wolf in Wisconsin.

But the Humane Society of the United States says it opposes Wisconsin's request. Spokesman Howard Goldman says Wisconsin in the meantime should not get a federal permit to test different methods of controlling problem wolves.

The DNR's Adrian Wydeven responds that the growing population of the wolf in Wisconsin should be an example that a species can recover, and then be successfully managed by a state. The Interior Department could order a review of Wisconsin's request and hold public hearings. The process would take about a year.

--

Information from Wisconsin Public Radio, www.wpr.org [1]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The higher ups in the DNR are nothing more than political whores. The HSUS came waving money and they got down on their knees like the circus seals that they are. The problem is not the DNR, most of the rank and file just want to do their jobs and make the state the best place in the country to hunt and fish, it is the Liberal political leadership in this state that has a strangle hold on all of the state agencies. Every special interest and cry baby gets moved to the front of the line, while the honest, hardworking tax payer gets the shaft firmly placed where the sun don't shine. A mirror image to Washington D.C.

Last edited by Bay_Dog; 05/24/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amen to that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Same crap over by me in Northcentral, sucks hind t*t.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not impressed with ANY state's F & W or DNR.. or whatever name they want to call it....

anymore.. too political... too many overly educated Morons that their only achievement is Job Security for themselves, and justifying milking more fees out of the public...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by roundoak

The DNR wants to sell licenses and blast the heck out of the deer herd, but some of us have had enough.

I have joined 17 other landowners in Herd Control Unit 73D to not hunt the October and December seasons. In addition, we will not allow others to hunt our land, the exception is the Youth Hunt. Currently the group has 2465 acres of prime deer habitat and we expect more to join us before October.

I've spent a bit of time the last 6 years researching deer management systems across several states. Specifically in my home state of Wisconsin........because most applicable data and methodology is available to citizens.

I'm curious about your reaction to management in DMU 73D. Here are some statistics from the last 9 years (2001-2009) for DMU 73D.

2001 the DMU was classified at goal population, slightly under goal in 2002, and escalating populations over goal until 2009.....where data isn't available but I suspect still over goal by quite a bit.

2001 - 2009 total registered deer harvest
1669, 1513, 1563, 1586, 2230, 2561, 2788, 2678, 1807

2001 - 2009 registered antlerless as percentage of total
56%, 57%, 48%, 53%, 57%, 65%, 66%, 76%, 60%

2001 - 2009 registered gun bucks
565, 567, 712, 581, 824, 734, 801, 529, 552

2001 - 2009 registered archery bucks
81, 90, 107, 159, 139, 153, 158, 122, 166

At 248 Sq Mi, DMU 73D is one of the smaller units in the state (14th smallest I believe...). That's about 158,720 acres.

There are certainly areas in Wisconsin that are below goal......most obviously in the northeast. Predation and weather are most to blame.

From a management perspective, I guess I don't see the same concerns you do in 73D.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Grandview,

Sorry for the delayed response...been fishing.

What is my reaction to your paper analysis of my backyard.

Horse Pucky!

The basis for over winter goals in this DMU is pseudoscience and probably not as accurate as the pellet group counts of of the old days. Just as the WDNR can not count Bears or Wolves in this state, they can not count deer.

There was a signifcant harvest drop in this Herd Control DMU and the WDNR answer to it is to issue unlimited anterless deer harvest permits for $2.00 each. Well some of us have refused to participate in this nonsense.

Since I first posted this thread the landowners pledged to this public action has grown to 4800 acres +.

Once again thank you for the internet analysis of my backyard.

Last edited by roundoak; 06/13/10.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just don't see the point in closing more land to hunting, whether trying to make a point or not and working against the DNR than trying to make a fight.

The biggest problem being, the fact that the longer it takes to get to the goal that is deemed correct, the longer your DMU will remain a herd control unit.

Everyone says hit them in the pocket book, well guys, that hasn't seemed to affect them. They just go to HSUS and other anti funded organizations disguised as conservation organizations to get their needed money. That seems to be a bigger problem, at least to me, than some wacked out deer hunting regulations that the general public disagrees with. Take a look at deer management history in this state and you'll see that we are not in a new place, we're actually in the same place that we were 60 years ago.

Pretty soon you'll be looking back and saying, herd control wasn't as big of an issue as we made it out to be. I really liked hunting when it was a legal thing to do.

Hind sight, as they say, is usually 20/20.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,270
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.